Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2016 Expemental Planchette State Quarter ?

I don’t know it’s seems impossible but very likely I have a discovery coin 2016 experimental planchette Roosevelt State Quarter from 2016

Comments

• Options

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

So, what do you think the planchet is made from? Have you done any tests to id it? What does it weigh?
    In the picture it looks like toning

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Environmental toning is not uncommon once a coin leaves the mint. Yours may have been exposed to high heat. As @Moxie15 said, you need some additional evidence like a significantly different weight or a compositional analysis from a handheld XRF. You could also search the Newman Numismatic Portal to see if they have the scanned mint records that would state that the mint was doing planchet composition experiments during that timeframe.

Short of that, just a "looks different" isn't much information to go on.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Caquilo....Welcome aboard.... Your quarter looks as if it has spent time in an unfriendly (to coins) environment and tarnished. Often quarters that have been in the ground or spent time in a hot car, or other areas of temperature, humidity or chemical variances will acquire that appearance. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

spent time in a hot car
    ?????

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

Toned by high heat.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭

Where are these people coming up with this stuff?

I love the pillowcase but may not be the best backdrop for a coin image. IMHO

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    Where are these people coming up with this stuff?

Out of circulation.
    A couple of weeks ago, just for fun I cooked a batch of quarters and returned them to circulation. I was wondering if any would pop up here but this one was not one of mine because mine were all D mint coins. All were similar colors to the OP's coin. ;)

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned, environmental damage. But keep looking... though very hard to find, there are real errors and varieties out there.

----- kj
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

And welcome to the forum!

----- kj
  • Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you find the color that was created (somehow ?) attractive then there's a feather in your hat.
    Seems to me to be a pretty good reason to stick around.
    Save it, as it may grow on you to help others.
    No heat, with a dry climate ( as stated above ) and try to find it some friends.
    cool

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why resurrect a two year old thread? The OP visited once to make these two posts and never returned. :/

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Why resurrect a two year old thread? The OP visited once to make these two posts and never returned. :/

Lol. People don't look at the dates.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file