Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

DeWitt-USG-1868-35, looking for info

This U.S. Grant medalet(?) I found list as DeWitt USG 1838-35 but I don't have the DeWitt book and I'm not familiar with this type of item. There is some corrosion damage on parts of th legend and the reverse looks nicer. There is a fairly large upper obverse rim cud.

Does anyone know if this was made in 1863 or 1868?

Also any idea on value would be of interest?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭

IIRC it was struck in 1863 -- let me find my DeWitt.

• Options
    orgmrorgmr Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thanks tokenpro, I appreciate that info, exactly what I was looking for. What is an example like mine worth?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice medal! Cool cud.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how his name changed by error when he was accepted at the academy.... given name Hiram Ulysses.... submitted to academy as U.S. - nicknamed Sam in the academy because of Uncle Sam derived from initials.... Retained the U.S. throughout his life. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2020 6:52AM

I think that this piece was issued in 1863 after Grant forced the surrender at Vicksburg on July 4, 1863. It was issued again for the 1868 presidential campaign.

Here is the piece that is in my collection. It is holed which means that it was probably issued for the 1868 campaign and originally suspended on a ribbon of some kind. This variety is fairly common, but many of them have issues such as spots and the like. Like your piece, my token has the cud at the top of the obverse.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    orgmrorgmr Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thanks everyone! Anyone have a guess of approximate value?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file