Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Regency Sale 39 - Roadrunner Morgans

marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was chasing a handful only to get blown away on all, except for one win which I barely survived. One Roadrunner Morgan, and will share when I get it.

I found prices for the nicely toned ones strong.

Anyone one with a better read on last nites sale, other series or something to add , please do.

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw those. Presumably not owned by our @roadrunner since I've never heard him speak of Morgans. Congrats on winning the coin! Looking forward to seeing it.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the win, I never bother to look at their auctions as the material is usually far out of my financial reach.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    Congrats on the win, I never bother to look at their auctions as the material is usually far out of my financial reach.

ty, seems a handful of pieces went for lower price points too.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least you got one of them!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look forward to seeing your win.....Usually nice coins there...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

There were a lot of coins that didn't do well - high value ones at that. The monster Morgans went for crazy money. I was watching about a dozen, and won two.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 1:18PM

Pics?
    👁 <3 🌈💰

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 1:30PM

@android01 said:
    There were a lot of coins that didn't do well - high value ones at that. The monster Morgans went for crazy money. I was watching about a dozen, and won two.

Congrats on the wins!

Looks like toners still have their magic!

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    I saw those. Presumably not owned by our @roadrunner since I've never heard him speak of Morgans.

How many roadrunners are there??

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:
    I saw those. Presumably not owned by our @roadrunner since I've never heard him speak of Morgans.

What difference does it make? I’d bet that the dollars weren’t owned by the one who posts here.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2020 1:52PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

What difference does it make? I’d bet that the dollars weren’t owned by the one who posts here.

It would get confusing if there were multiple collectors with the same anonymous name. Imagine if there were two Tyrant, Knoxville and other collections?

When the one here goes to sell, he may need a different name now.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

It would get confusing if there were multiple collectors with the same anonymous name. Imagine if there were two Tyrant, Knoxville and other collections?

How long have you been at this how many times has the scenario you described been a (real) problem?😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

How long have you been at this how many times has the scenario you described been a (real) problem?😉

This is the first time which is why it’s unusual.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

I asked about a “real problem”.

• Options
    TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2020 3:23PM

MEEMP MEEMP!

@Tetromibi said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

• Options
    edited July 18, 2020 4:57PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

The fact it’s been mentioned by a few people indicates it already is a real problem to me as there’s no good way to distinguish between the two.

As for how many times, even the first time is a problem!

It would be good to come up with qualifiers but I don’t know enough about the differences yet.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

The fact it’s been mentioned by a few people indicates it already is.

It appears that we have different opinions regarding what constitutes a “real problem”. The “Roadrunner” dollars received a nice write up by the auction company that offered them and the coins seemed to bring good prices. And that’s even if you and/or someone else (mistakenly?) thought that they were consigned by a particular forum member, who posts (primarily about seated coinage) under that name.

• Options
    edited July 18, 2020 5:36PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@CoinJunkie said:

The fact it’s been mentioned by a few people indicates it already is.

It appears that we have different opinions regarding what constitutes a “real problem”. The “Roadrunner” dollars received a nice write up by the auction company that offered them and the coins seemed to bring good prices. And that’s even if you and/or someone else (mistakenly?) thought that they were consigned by a particular forum member, who posts (primarily about seated coinage) under that name.

It seems we don't even know if they are definitively the same or not as forum members here seem to be speculating based on past posts. I have a lot of items I don't post which, strangely enough, are often my nicer pieces.

And yes, we do seem to have different opinions on what constitutes a real problem. I spend a lot of time tracking provenances. Even a middle initial without a full middle name is a problem for me so I spend a lot of time tracking these down. The last numismatic middle name I found was from military service records over a century ago.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking dollars and reports on the auction!
    Thanks for sharing to the people actually talking about these coins.

• Options

@android01 said:

@joeykoins said:
    Pics?
    👁 <3 🌈💰

1899 O PCGS MS64+ CAC

1879 S PCGS MS66 CAC

Wow, I was the underbidder on that 79-S, congrats !!

• Options

@Inspired70 said:
    Was Abel to capture this one from Regency. What do you think?

Beautiful! That coin was on my watch list, and I put a healthy bid in, although not healthy enough! Congrats!

• Options

@marcmoish said:
    My one win for the evening was this one, 66+

That’s one rather colorful 😉 “one win”!

• Options

@marcmoish said:

AND, I was the underbidder on that one! Congrats!

• Options

@fluffy155 said:
    I prefer softer toning, and picked up this one:

Another beautiful coin! Congrats on the win!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just AWESOME! B)B)B)<3

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2020 5:34PM

Should there be a project to name all the Roadrunner coins? :)

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could afford these kind of coins. Congratulations to those with new purchases. :)

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    edited July 19, 2020 5:44PM

@DelawareDoons said:
    I wish I could afford these kind of coins. Congratulations to those with new purchases. :)

How much do you have in coins total? If you have enough to buy one coin with all your coins, you should try getting one coin. It will change the way you look at your collection.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won a few lots from the auction, two of which I had lost before (and both had upgraded in between). Speaking of confusion - Legend quite famously auctioned the Northern Lights set which is very much treading on @AuroraBorealis’s collection name.

• Options
    edited July 19, 2020 6:09PM

@david3142 said:
    I won a few lots from the auction, two of which I had lost before (and both had upgraded in between).

Congrats! Interesting that they both upgraded. Did they both CAC after the upgrade?

Speaking of confusion - Legend quite famously auctioned the Northern Lights set which is very much treading on @AuroraBorealis’s collection name.

Agree they are similar, but at least the names are different. Whatever you call it, the Northern Lights or Aurora Borealis is an amazing sight to behold. Literally took my breath away!

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

How much do you have in coins total? If you have enough to buy one coin with all your coins, you should try getting one coin. It will change the way you look at your collection.

However brief that moment of emporia he'll experience while looking over his one coin collection.......sounds like a good plan to me.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:

very nice win. the lot after yours (same year and grade) is quite an eye popper

• Options

@Zoins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I could not do that. I would get bored.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish I could afford one of roadrunner's road runners! There were a bunch in my area and they all got blown up or wrecked or both, which is why they have the value they do now. Same with Shelby's.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

@davewesen said:

@marcmoish said:

very nice win. the lot after yours (same year and grade) is quite an eye popper

Yes it was an eye popper - that is one heck of a premium to pay - had to be seen first hand or by others to command such bidding.

This one I fetched talked to me from when I first saw it, am hoping in hand it does too.

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I know the Roadrunner collector. Obviously not our Roadrunner on the boards. If you liked these coins, you'll probably
    like Part 2 even more in October!

• Options

@cnncoins said:
    I know the Roadrunner collector. Obviously not our Roadrunner on the boards. If you liked these coins, you'll probably

That's good to know, thanks! I'll be watching that one closely. Is it going to be through Legend?

• Options
    edited July 20, 2020 8:43AM

@android01 said:

@cnncoins said:

That's good to know, thanks! I'll be watching that one closely. Is it going to be through Legend?

hey android, stop collecting for a spell.
    start a shell collection.
    Exotic toothpicks can work too

• Options

@cnncoins said:

Is it more toned Morgans? I may have to move a few pieces and attempt a run at a couple.

• Options

@marcmoish said:

@android01 said:

@cnncoins said:

hey android, stop collecting for a spell.
    start a shell collection.
    Exotic toothpicks can work too

Ha! I wish I could stop. It's an illness! Particularly with toned Morgans that I can't resist. B)

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

The sale was split up with 80+ coins in the first sale and 80+ in the second sale - all through Legend. All toned Morgans (Including the 2nd sale).
    The best was saved for last!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file