Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Tallboy poppage! - 7/29 Update w/scans

LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Woke up to a notification my submission credit card had been charged at 3:37am this morning. Somebody was working really early in Newport Beach ...

EXCELLENT 5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 9 Arthur Jonath/Douglas Fairbanks/Duke Kahanamoku/Miss Earhart Putnam/Paavo Nurmi
EXCELLENT 5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 64 Evelyn Hall/Marjorie Clark/Mildred Diedrikson
EXCELLENT 5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 65 Mildred Diedrikson
EXCELLENT 5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 123 Duke Kahanamoku
Duke and Babe. 6s are my usual jam for this set, se la vie
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1937 Kellogg's Pep Sports Stamps 4 Dutra/Madison Kerr/Tilden
GOOD 2 1937 Kellogg's Pep Sports Stamps 16 Diegel/Ferrell Grange/Ross
Really happy with the 6 (tied for top pop), 2 was not surprising.
VERY GOOD 3 1938 T14 Lucky Strike Bridge Favors and Place-Cards Eddie Buzzell
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1938 T14 Lucky Strike Bridge Favors and Place-Cards Golfing Girl
80+ year old die cuts, the 8 is amazing (ties top pop, four grades higher than the next best), 3 not unexpected
MINT 9 1987 Fax Pax Golf David Graham
GEM MINT 10 1987 Fax Pax Golf David Graham
This completes my first company set in all dimes! For some reason, this was the lowest pop 10 in the entire set, now tied with Lyle and Peete as a pop 3
EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1989 Cadaco All-Star Baseball Discs Barry Larkin
Ugh, must have missed a back wrinkle
GEM MINT 10 1992 Mueller Enterprises Golf's Greatest 9 Babe Didrikson
Upgrades my 6 that I missed a back wrinkle on last round
MINT 9 1996 Stadium Club Extreme Winners EW6 Barry Larkin Gold
MINT 9 1996 Topps Bronze League Leaders 1 Barry Larkin
Pleased with both of these, probably the heaviest "cards" I own and first copy graded of each
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Ben Hogan 1951-Gold Foil
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Charles Coody 1971-Gold Foil
NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Jack Nicklaus 1975-Gold Foil
MINT 9 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Tom Watson 1977-Gold Foil
Black bordered beauties (or other less kind words starting with b depending on the day), I was going for 8s and up and pleased I didn't have any of my usual misses this time. Watson is a pop 4, none higher

Comments

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

And congrats on the results!!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Solid results Kyle. Congrats on the die-cut 8. That is impressive. Well done!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

congrats on finishing the dime party and sweet hit on the tee dub

• Options
    thedutymon11thedutymon11 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭

@AFLfan said:
    Three shifts a day in some departments...

Perhaps you could give us a Hint as to who's getting the Extra Love!!! :D;)

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

• Options

@thedutymon11 said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

Seems to be me :D

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thedutymon11 said:

@AFLfan said:

Thanks

YeeHah!

Neil

Sorry. Working from home in San Diego. Just going on what I hear from the boss.

YeeHah!

Todd

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice work Kyle!! Congrats!

• Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

love seeing those 80+ year old high grades. awesome!!!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LarkinCollector said:
    Woke up to a notification my submission credit card had been charged at 3:37am this morning. Somebody was working really early in Newport Beach ...

EXCELLENT 5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 9 Arthur Jonath/Douglas Fairbanks/Duke Kahanamoku/Miss Earhart Putnam/Paavo Nurmi
    EXCELLENT 5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 64 Evelyn Hall/Marjorie Clark/Mildred Diedrikson
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1938 T14 Lucky Strike Bridge Favors and Place-Cards Golfing Girl
    80+ year old die cuts, the 8 is amazing (ties top pop, four grades higher than the next best), 3 not unexpected
    This completes my first company set in all dimes! For some reason, this was the lowest pop 10 in the entire set, now tied with Lyle and Peete as a pop 3
    Pleased with both of these, probably the heaviest "cards" I own and first copy graded of each
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Ben Hogan 1951-Gold Foil
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Charles Coody 1971-Gold Foil
    NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1998 Champions of Golf Masters Collection Jack Nicklaus 1975-Gold Foil
    Black bordered beauties (or other less kind words starting with b depending on the day), I was going for 8s and up and pleased I didn't have any of my usual misses this time. Watson is a pop 4, none higher

Kyle, for those 1932 Reemtsma ones, which version are the cards? Are they truly the 1932 issue? Or are they the 1936 re-issue? You can easily tell by looking at the back. The 1932 ones are harder to find than the 1936 re-issue, but PSA has almost always mislabeled the 1936's as mech errors, mistakenly assigning them 1932 data specs. I've been trying to get this issue resolved for several years, but it hasn't seemed to work yet.

I think they stopped labeling cards as 1932 Sammelwerk Nr. 6 and only label as 1932 Reemtsma (which is a correct decision), but I've noticed that ones in the pop report that have that label are more often actual 1932 Reemtsma cards, where as the ones labeled as 1932 Reemtsma are more often the 1936 re-issue set.

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@LarkinCollector said:

Kyle, for those 1932 Reemtsma ones, which version are the cards? Are they truly the 1932 issue? Or are they the 1936 re-issue? You can easily tell by looking at the back. The 1932 ones are harder to find than the 1936 re-issue, but PSA has almost always mislabeled the 1936's as mech errors, mistakenly assigning them 1932 data specs. I've been trying to get this issue resolved for several years, but it hasn't seemed to work yet.

I think they stopped labeling cards as 1932 Sammelwerk Nr. 6 and only label as 1932 Reemtsma (which is a correct decision), but I've noticed that ones in the pop report that have that label are more often actual 1932 Reemtsma cards, where as the ones labeled as 1932 Reemtsma are more often the 1936 re-issue set.

I'm pretty sure these were the real 1932s I got from a seller in Germany IIRC; I'll confirm once I've got them back in hand. I've subbed some of each under both names to test and PSA has labeled them as listed on the sub form, so I don't think there's any assumptions to be made by which set it's labeled under on the pop. I've brought it up to them also on the 1932 vs. 1936 reissue, but it's probably too late at this point to expect it to ever be accurately reflected in the pop.

I wish they'd include both the Reemtsma and Sammelwerk No. 6 on the flip/pop, each with the correct year. Even though it's correct, I don't think it says Reemtsma anywhere on the cards, just the outer packets they were distributed in.

• Options
    edited July 17, 2020 6:52AM

@LarkinCollector said:

@miwlvrn said:

I'm pretty sure these were the real 1932s I got from a seller in Germany IIRC; I'll confirm once I've got them back in hand. I've subbed some of each under both names to test and PSA has labeled them as listed on the sub form, so I don't think there's any assumptions to be made by which set it's labeled under on the pop. I've brought it up to them also on the 1932 vs. 1936 reissue, but it's probably too late at this point to expect it to ever be accurately reflected in the pop.

I wish they'd include both the Reemtsma and Sammelwerk No. 6 on the flip/pop, each with the correct year. Even though it's correct, I don't think it says Reemtsma anywhere on the cards, just the outer packets they were distributed in.

Agreed. I think our best bet is for you and me to keep sending the graded ones back to them for mech label correction. It will never fix the inaccuracy of the pop report, but at least it might get them to start labeling them correctly going forward.

• Options

Figured this thread deserved to get a bit more academic when it comes to the Olympia 1932 card set. There are actually 3 versions. Two were issued in 1932, and then the set was reissued in 1936. 2 of them include the Gruppe 20 notation on the back, among the other differences in text, but one of the 1932 versions only specifies Album Number and Card Number but omits Gruppe Number. For a visual comparison, I have scanned 3 different versions of the "same" card from my collection. Each is labeled the same by PSA, but they should instead have 3 different specs assigned and need to be corrected.

• Options

I should have mine back in hand on Thursday to verify, but if it's the batch I'm thinking of, they were of the middle style. I seem to recall having some of the first style in the past also. The 36s seem to be far more prevalent, any idea which of the 32s is tougher?

• Options
    edited July 21, 2020 11:10AM

Like you do, I also have a good amount of Olympia 1932 cards. The 1936 reissue seems to be the most common. The ones that say Sammelwerk and include Gruppe 20 are in second place. The 1932 ones that do not have Gruppe 20 on the back (the first version in my posted examples above) are a lot harder to have acquired, by my perspective; I have far fewer of them with that version on the back.

• Options

I was mistaken, these were all of the first style you posted w/no Gruppe ...

The middle style must have already been graded in another batch.

• Options

Pics of some of the others.

The nicer of the 37 Pep ...

I was surprised to see this one return in a Supersize holder, measured so it should have fit in a tallboy ...

I think this is now the smallest item I have in a Supersize holder. Grade is due to some creasing around the two left holes.

Die cut 8 ...

The last card ...

You can view my 100% dimes set here: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/publishedset/252577

Babe ...

Couple Larkin Pop 1s total and new slot requests for the Master set ...

3.37% chance of getting a 9 or higher on these (including base and gold foil), the oversize black borders are brutal ...

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kyle,

Tim

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    Like you do, I also have a good amount of Olympia 1932 cards. The 1936 reissue seems to be the most common. The ones that say Sammelwerk and include Gruppe 20 are in second place. The 1932 ones that do not have Gruppe 20 on the back (the first version in my posted examples above) are a lot harder to have acquired, by my perspective; I have far fewer of them with that version on the back.

I had a good conversation recently with Kyle about the differences in the 1932 cards. Here are 2 that I recently acquired, not knowing the variation diffences.

• Options

very nice. Gratz

-- Remember, don't do drugs, have unprotected sex, or kill anyone...leave that stuff to me.