Home U.S. Coin Forum

Help tracking down old auction info on Pillar Dollar

SimonWSimonW Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been a while since I've been on here folks! Been missing it some.

This may or may not be the place to talk about this coin, not sure. The pillar coinage circulated in the colonies, may have even been considered the standard currency at the time...so I'll give it a shot.

Been looking for more info on the coin here. Specifically I was wondering if anyone has resources for the auctions mentioned in the notes here. 1985 dorado sale, etc.

Also, would this envelope be enough evidence for PCGS to give it a Brand/Norweb designation on the holder?

Thanks in advance!

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW

Found that I have the May 1985 Christies catalog with prices realized. It was not online at the Newman Numismatic Portal.

There was no photo for that lot and it was sold with a 1768 MF in the same lot. The condition description was not detailed enough to identify each coin without a photo. It just says "both with pleasant tone, very fine". The lot of 2 sold for $176 on an estimate of $100 to $150.

The September 1985 El Dorado auction is online and linked below.

The 1771 was offered as an individual lot and photographed there with the Brand Noweb pedigree noted. It matches your coin. No prices realized included there. The 1768 was offered one lot prior.

https://archive.org/details/worldwidecoinsme00eldo/page/76/mode/2up

Might not be enough info for grading services to definitely attribute to those collections. If there had been a matchable photo in the Christies sale it would have been enough, or if the description had an unmistakable identification mentioned such as the field mark above the crown. Between the two sales, there is the possibility of a coin being switched either intentionally or accidently.

The envelope could have been done by anyone unless it is identifiable as coming from Brand or Norweb.

Odds are high it is the coin from those collections. But you would have to check first with any slab company as to whether that is enough to get the designation on the holder. A lot tag or invoice from the Christie's sale might help support the case.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

@btcollects said:
    that Norweb envelope is cool

So is that a known Norweb style envelope? Was trying to figure out the initials earlier. After your post I realized it looks like NOR on a web - thus Norweb?

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WinLoseWin said:

@btcollects said:
    that Norweb envelope is cool

So is that a known Norweb style envelope? Was trying to figure out the initials earlier. After your post I realized it looks like NOR on a web - thus Norweb?

That is the envelope style that the coins came in from the auction.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just noticed this line in the Foreward of the May 1985 Christies catalog:

"All coins are sold with Mrs. Norweb's envelopes which, in many cases, give the sources from where they were purchased and a fascinating range of familiar numismatic names are to be found."

I think that envelope is pretty good evidence for a slab company to consider plus the El Dorado auction a few months later with photos of both coins that were in the original lot, there offered as consecutive lots with similar grade descriptions. The 1771 was called very fine in May and and an even higher VF-EF in September 1985, plus that photo clearly matches yours.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SimonW.... Welcome aboard/back....That is a nice coin and interesting envelope accompanying it...Perhaps if you submit it with all the other auction history and the envelope, it will be noted. I would call ahead and see if you can get all the information regarding your submission to be viewed positively. Cheers, RickO

edited August 1, 2020 1:10PM

I noticed @SimonW has not been back since the day this thread was posted. And this was their first post since becoming a member in 2008. Not sure if he ever saw any of the responses.

Hope it isn't another 12 years before he returns. :)

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys! This place is awesome!!! I've actually been on here a lot, but it's been a couple years, my handle is Billet7, but I can't seem to get into the account.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file