Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody using a metal detector?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never tried but thinking it might be fun. Anybody here using one? What's a good brand? Post your most recent find if you like!

Comments

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's fun but the people who are really into it do lots of homework to find great stuff. I know some look at old maps and try to locate where it's most likely to find old stuff. Other than that I've only found 3 silver coins, one being a melted SLQ, pocket change, and junk jewelry.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of good reading in the Metal Detecting Forum!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Lots of good reading in the Metal Detecting Forum!

Ok, I see it now. I really didn't see that forum there. Of course we have a "metal detecting forum" here!!!!!

• Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭

Not currently doing it but as kids we found buckets and buckets full of all kinds of coins. Some were pretty good. My brother found an 1877 Indian Cent and later found the ‘09-S too which was a strong VF and not too discolored. He traded it to a dealer for a $10 Indian. My Garrett machine is up in the attic in case I get the urge.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forty years ago I thought a computer was too big of a learning curve......
    I believe a metal detector is worse.......

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Metal detecting is fun and an interesting hobby... Provides exercise, rewards (small mostly, but sometimes big), knowledge from research and often interesting social contacts. Check out the MD forum, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2020 7:20AM

I have also been considering the hobby.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

detected since 1989

Whites are the best, by my view

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I have a brand new one still in the box I received as a Christmas gift last year. The problem is I haven’t a clue where I’d look for anything around here. Maybe change that falls out of kids pockets under the monkey bars at the park?🤷

Old house yards are my favorite now since most public places have been hunted extensively. I have had great success with getting permission over the years. With the pandemic I haven’t been knocking on any doors lately. Good luck

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    I have a brand new one still in the box I received as a Christmas gift last year. The problem is I haven’t a clue where I’d look for anything around here. Maybe change that falls out of kids pockets under the monkey bars at the park?🤷

School athletic fields and playgrounds, especially old ones can be fun. Don;t plan on finding another Saddle Ridge hoard but expect to have fun and gets some exercise squatting to dig out the finds. (Remember to fill the holes) A great activity with kids or grand kids.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:
    detected since 1989

Whites are the best, by my view

Unfortunately, Whites has gone the way of Tesoro and is closing down. It is a shame, they used to be the biggest name in detectors.

• Options
    LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

Yeah I have one and thinking it's about time to get a new one, I've been eyeing one of the new Garrets on Ebay. Since I live on the lake, I like to search the shores and where folks swim. I find all kinds of interesting things, like a bunch of change from the 40's next to a big old tree.

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:

Try https://historicaerials.com/viewer There’s better image coverage for the east coast but worth a shot. It lets you peak back in time and is a fun tool whether you detect or not.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    I've never tried but thinking it might be fun. Anybody here using one? What's a good brand? Post your most recent find if you like!

Garrett AT Pro is a good starter detector. It’s not great at anything but ok at everything with the exception of salt water which it is pretty horrible at. This’ll get you started until you decide to stick with it or not. From there you will have no trouble finding the more specialized and much more expensive detectors.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bombtech25 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Try https://historicaerials.com/viewer There’s better image coverage for the east coast but worth a shot. It lets you peak back in time and is a fun tool whether you detect or not.

Where did you find this piece? That's a short distance from me. What is it?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:

@bombtech25 said:

@crazyhounddog said:

Where did you find this piece? That's a short distance from me. What is it?

I found it in Lumberton, NJ in SNJ. I think it goes to a money bag or potentially a property marker. The house I was hunting was from 1700’s. There’s a little history about the company online. PM your address and I’ll send it on it’s way if you wish.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Factor in the cost of a hand held pointer too.

• Options

@crazyhounddog Have you used your detector yet? It's been a couple years, you must have opened it by now...and tried it out?? What kind / model is it? I haven't gotten one yet, but could walk around the many beaches here and try detecting- it's just how much time would I have doing that? I have found silver coins before just walking around looking down at the sand...sometimes the wind blows the sand away from the base of a coin and it looks like it's perched on a little stand!!!!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy it from time to time. I have a Garrett that I frequently use. I had a whites but I find the Garrett easier to use if your just coin and relic hunting.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2022 5:17PM

i got a fortune hunter metal detector and i've used it but not much

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rhedden... That is a really nice old coin Ron.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DallifeDallife Posts: 71 ✭✭

I have a beginners Bounty Hunter metal detector. I love the hobby a lot but I've only found a few coins that were in bad condition, a ton of scrap metal, old staples and hundreds of rusty nails. Kind of getting discouraged lately but it's still a lot of fun 🤷‍♀️

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not had mine out for a few years. I have a Whites MXT.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found this yesterday in a friend's yard.

• Options

Thanks @rhedden -love the coin you posted and great info. I live in Massachusetts so know all to well about ticks.
    @Dallife that's what I was wondering, if you could distinguish between something good and rusty old nails....but it still sounds like fun!!
    @PipestonePete That's a real treasure!!! 1888 - Nice!!!

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone Most detectors should have a limiter on them where you can edit out some metals. Might look at your manual.

• Options

@bsshog40 said:
    @Onastone Most detectors should have a limiter on them where you can edit out some metals. Might look at your manual.

I don't have a metal detector, but am thinking about getting one. I've heard the really expensive models not only have settings for silver or gold, but settings for dates and mint marks! Seriously though, I think it might be fun to go searching for treasure!

• Options

@rhedden You're in the wrong thread! You should be posting in the "We Need More Humor" thread!! You had me laughing so hard.....and excellent detecting story!! Well done!

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google earth is your friend when hunting locations. Simply zoom in on your area then click the clock icon and drag it as far back as it goes. The satellite images for my area go back to the 70’s yet just south of me (Hou) go back to the 40’s.
    When looking at these old images look for land marks, schools, buildings, trails, or anything that stands out. Then select pin drop and mark all of these places. Now, once you move the clock back to current your pins will still be there showing you exactly where to go.
    A lot of times your marked spot will be under a Walmart or a highway so I will search areas that I already know are still accessible. I need to replace my machine I sold, Garrett and have several points of interest including a saloon and a train station in Camp Spring. Currently known as Old Town Spring. These places though, I found using old maps in conjunction with Google Earth triangulating using the creek because the maps predate the roads. And even this only gives you a general location because creeks also move over time.
    Good luck!

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

I live in Oregon so I don't know if there's much opportunity to find anything really good here. Not sure how many earlier San Francisco mint coins made it into circulation up here. Ain't no colonials or large cents in the ground out here. If you live out east it's a different story.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options

Also, if your searching wooded areas then look at all time frame images of that area. A lot more will be exposed in the winter months when the foliage is missing.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys realize there is a metal detecting forum, right? Lots of good stuff.

• Options
    edited June 9, 2022 6:23AM

@No Headlights said:
    You guys realize there is a metal detecting forum, right? Lots of good stuff.

He's prospecting. There's like 4 people on that forum.

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Google earth is your friend when hunting locations. Simply zoom in on your area then click the clock icon and drag it as far back as it goes. The satellite images for my area go back to the 70’s yet just south of me (Hou) go back to the 40’s.

Great tip. Are you using the desktop version of Google Earth? I could not find the clock icon in the online version. Google Maps has it in the street view, but the imagery only goes back 10 years or so.

• Options

I’m not sure I haven’t used it in a few years actually but I always just googled Google earth.

• Options

@rhedden said:

@Coinscratch said:

Great tip. Are you using the desktop version of Google Earth? I could not find the clock icon in the online version. Google Maps has it in the street view, but the imagery only goes back 10 years or so.

Sorry I’m computer illiterate I was using a desktop is that what you mean :-)

• Options

I downloaded it and found the "historical data" feature, but my area only goes back to 1994 with some blurry images from 1985 that are useless. It was worth a shot anyway. I would love some 1940s aerial photos of my county.

• Options

@rhedden said:
    I downloaded it and found the "historical data" feature, but my area only goes back to 1994 with some blurry images from 1985 that are useless. It was worth a shot anyway. I would love some 1940s aerial photos of my county.

Are you near a major city? That seems to be the difference.

I would look for old maps and historical data then. Most of which can all be found online, for a small fee.

• Options

I have the 19th century historical atlas pages, which show old house sites, but so does everyone else. I haven't found an untouched house site since the 1990s. The satellite images are best for roadside picnic areas, swimming holes, church picnic groves, etc., which may not be marked on older maps. Some of my best sites back in the day were long-forgotten picnic or swimming/ice skating holes. I found the sites on foot long before I found any information about what was there.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file