Home Sports Talk
Options

When Baseball does actually start again.. hoping no one forgets... NO FREE PASS !

HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I already forgot about that, great reminder!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

cheatin’stros

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Astros starting lineup.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should not Astros players be considered to be on the same level as PED players? No HOF for any Astros player on the roster during the cheating scandal, right?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Should not Astros players be considered to be on the same level as PED players? No HOF for any Astros player on the roster during the cheating scandal, right?

Correct.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, yell loudly at TV screen. No fans at the stadiums right??

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I'd say this is worse. With PEDs, oftentimes both the hitter and pitcher were cheating. Here, it's just the hitter and not quite as widespread.

• Options
    HorseHorse Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:
    Yes, yell loudly at TV screen. No fans at the stadiums right??

:)

Was hoping all the opposing pitchers were on this message board.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2020 8:04PM

Get ready for dullest season ever. Fan interest in most cities will be close to zero as the Yankees and Dodgers run away with the short season. Since you can’t attend any games, the fan “event factor” for just going to a game, having a hot dog and a beer will be gone.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    Get ready for dullest season ever. Fan interest in most cities will be close to zero as the Yankees and Dodgers run away with the short season. Since you can’t attend any games, the fan “event factor” for just going to a game, having a hot dog and a beer will be gone.

I started a Phillies thread a few months ago, but i have no interest in adding to it at this point in time.

Some of the reasons why, extend past just the corona virus and shortened season.

i actually am happy with baseball now being played. However i cannot ignore other factors that MLB for whatever reason decided to interject into the game.

Frankly, i'm not sure how i'm going to proceed with this. But one thing i do know, is that i will always cherish my past memories of MLB and will always enjoy collecting baseball cards of that era.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@BillJones said:

I started a Phillies thread a few months ago, but i have no interest in adding to it at this point in time.

Some of the reasons why, extend past just the corona virus and shortened season.

i actually am happy with baseball now being played. However i cannot ignore other factors that MLB for whatever reason decided to interject into the game.

Frankly, i'm not sure how i'm going to proceed with this. But one thing i do know, is that i will always cherish my past memories of MLB and will always enjoy collecting baseball cards of that era.

I agree with you on the "other factors" I bristle when things are pushed on me. I don't collect any active baseball player, only retired ones so that shouldn't be an issue with my collecting habits.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

The premise of 162 game season is the cream rises; always has been. And the reigning champion Nationals - one of baseball’s better clubs the last few seasons - would not even have made the playoffs if last season was only 60 games.

Therefore, I think there will be plenty of interesting storylines to follow. Add in the expanded playoff format and you have a recipe for a fun and exciting season that potentially involves more cities than most years. All it takes is for one or two ‘bad’ teams to get off to good starts to make this a really memorable and fun summer.

It was going to be Dodgers-Yankees as heavy favorites, anyway. Whether a short season favors them? Losing Kershaw seems a bigger blow now in a shortened season. Think of how many times the past decade a fun team got hot only to fade as June began.

My advice to those of you who can’t handle the “other stuff” - which is your prerogative?

Tune in a little late. Or go old school and flip on the radio in the backyard so you don’t have to watch anything.

The game is still the game. Cole-Scherzer was pretty fun last night.

Game on.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest