Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Headed out to the beach in search of gold this evening

1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 11, 2020 2:08AM in U.S. Coin Forum

With gold now at a recent record approximate $1,800.00 an ounce I see some long dormant mines in my area are thinking about opening up. There was a time when one could just walk on beaches in parts of my state and find gold nuggets that had washed down toward the ocean.

While my efforts today did not bring me any gold nuggets I did see some glimmer in some of the quartz rocks. Of equal fun was just coming across stones with unique formations strewn over the sand.

FWIW, here in photos is a chronology of today's after work five mile hike venture into the woods and on to the beach in search of treasure.

Pictured first, the view from the office as I departed at the end of the work day:

The hike as viewed along the trail and through the woods as headed toward the beach including some wildlife encounters:

Arrival at the rock strewn beach:

A gathered handful of the quartz containing rocks most likely to contain gold:

With the ultimate "treasure' being the unique rocks and stones located from combing the beach. Pictured are "Artifact Rock," "Egg Stone," and "Table Rock."

Heading back with "treasures" in tow as the building blocks for assembly of an eventual Rock Sculpture along with additional wildlife encounters on the forest trail making for what in the end turned out to be a "golden" evening even without bringing back nuggets of gold.

Comments

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where in the world are you? Beautiful photos, great golden walk, even caught a couple Moose! Or is that a Moose and his Cow? Isn't that what the females are called?

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent pictures ... thanks for sharing.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

The moose is loose! Are you guys on the west coast? Canada or Alaska? Love that tooled rock. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a wonderful time

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful pictures and great rocks....Quartz can often have traces of gold - sometimes a heck of a lot more than a trace. A metal detector on that beach would be a great way to spend a day... nuggets migrate deeper usually. Lovely hike.... great way to unwind. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a beautiful day.
    Great Photos !

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific pictures... Looks as if we have a Northwestern fan... Go Cats

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a wonderful travelogue! Thanks for sharing it.

Kind regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watch out! Here comes the crew from "Gold Rush" with their huge dredge!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@philographer said:
    Could the rock with the indentation be a cupstone, used by prehistoric / native people as a tool to grind food?

Yes.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    Terrific pictures... Looks as if we have a Northwestern fan... Go Cats

Now I know what the kat in Coinkat stands for! 👍

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    The moose is loose! Are you guys on the west coast? Canada or Alaska? Love that tooled rock. Peace Roy

Excellent guesses! The prize is behind door number 3.

• Options

@Onastone said:
    Where in the world are you? Beautiful photos, great golden walk, even caught a couple Moose! Or is that a Moose and his Cow? Isn't that what the females are called?

Yes an adult female moose is called a cow. Not sure if the last photo is a cow though as when I try to enlarge the photo it looks like there may be the nubs of moose antlers growing.

Location of the beach is along the shores of Cook Inlet named after the explorer who sailed these waters searching for the Northwest Passage. That was on his last fateful voyage before returning to Hawaii where he was killed.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like fun! People have found plenty of gold on Florida beaches that has washed up from shipwrecks. I never got into the search but certainly dreamed about it as a kid. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome pics looks like a lot of fun. ⭐️

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great photos and a great adventure! Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the female moose walking in a big patch of Giant Hogweed?

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pictures!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@philographer said:
    Could the rock with the indentation be a cupstone, used by prehistoric / native people as a tool to grind food?

Yes.

That in and of itself is an amazing find!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1northcoin said:

@Onastone said:

Yes an adult female moose is called a cow. Not sure if the last photo is a cow though as when I try to enlarge the photo it looks like there may be the nubs of moose antlers growing.

Location of the beach is along the shores of Cook Inlet named after the explorer who sailed these waters searching for the Northwest Passage. That was on his last fateful voyage before returning to Hawaii where he was killed.

Wonderful pics! I used to go on back county fishing fishing trips in Katmai every year....fly in and drop you off on a steam...pick you up a week later...on the Alagnak, and the American Creeks, among others. Loved the area, the moose and the bear..there were lots of bear. And the fishing was out of this world.

Tom

• Options

@gonzer said:
    Is the female moose walking in a big patch of Giant Hogweed?

We call the white topped bushes Devil’s Club - just about as nasty as poison ivy.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 11, 2020 1:30PM

Beautiful scenery! B)

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! What a beautiful place to be. Looks like a blast to me just wish I could join you guys👍
    Thank you for sharing, Joe

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

You cant lose beach detecting on a beautiful day, even if you come home empty handed!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow you got a beautiful day for every thing there. Wtg

• Options
    robkoolrobkool Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pics... Great day for a swim, & hiking trip there. Alaska ???
    Thanks for sharing...

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the searches for gold in the rocks.....Hardly anyone finds coin gold these days dropped in the wild somewhere.

• Options
    edited July 12, 2020 5:06PM

@logger7 said:
    Good luck with the searches for gold in the rocks.....Hardly anyone finds coin gold these days dropped in the wild somewhere.

Beach gold in this desolate area would either come from nuggets washed down from deposits in the hills or as found in the quartz rocks on the beach, the later being more likely.

FWIW, Indian Gold Mine and Crow Creek Gold Mine were/are both located In hillsides above these same waters. They are within 20 to 30 miles from the pictured beach location.

Crow Creek Mine still operates.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always fun to see moose on the loose. Looks like fun.

;)

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, reminds me of northern Maine around Greenwood Lake which I hiked around extensively. God's country.

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

good luck

• Options
    Landon6Landon6 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭

:)

• Options
    AkbeezAkbeez Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah yes, Kincaid Park beaches -- a VERY moosey place! With all glacial activity in this part of Alaska, you can actually find gold just about anywhere. I always scan the white quartz for "free" gold. Thanks for the travel log. I'm up in the Valley. :)

Refs: MCM,Fivecents,Julio,Robman,Endzone,Coiny,Agentjim007,Musky1011,holeinone1972,Tdec1000,Type2,bumanchu, Metalsman,Wondercoin,Pitboss,Tomohawk,carew4me,segoja,thebigeng,jlc_coin,mbogoman,sportsmod,dragon,tychojoe,Schmitz7,claychaser,and many OTHERS
  • Options
    Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the pics. I personally would have given the moose more space than that. When I was in Alaska, the moose and bear let you know that they were there first, and that if they want to go somewhere, you'd better get out of the way.

• Options
    ModwriterModwriter Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

I was told years ago by an Alaska resident that you never go hiking in Alaska without a sidearm. Beautiful pictures.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking scenery. Thanks for the pixs.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I re-read this thread and it has re-awakened the prospector's spirit in me...I loved gold panning and MD'ing in gold areas....No gold known where I live now....might be time for a trip. ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file