Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Members Only Show In August in Las Vegas

MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you going?

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

:'(

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Masks are mandatory here. All bars are closing down again tomorrow. Huge uptick in COVID-19 cases. Hope it's gone by then.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Masks are mandatory here. All bars are closing down again tomorrow. Huge uptick in COVID-19 cases. Hope it's gone by then.

Sounds a lot like here in LA ; (

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow ... that hasn't been cancelled?
    That's crazy.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

I was surprised as well. Went to check on a submission and there was the advertisement. No pun intended..they are really rolling the dice on this one

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting...Still time to cancel...but getting close.....and in a hot spot too. Good luck to those attending. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to attend one of those shows one day but sadly now is definitely not the time.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no issue to attend if wearing a mask. Things just aren’t that crowded

• Options
    WDPWDP Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I attended many of these in 2018-19 and would love to go to this show but will not. I'm most anxious to see how it goes, and hope it goes well for PCGS and all who are attending. Hope to get back to these shows in the near future.

@ElmerFusterpuck , I'll miss seeing you there!

W. David Perkins Numismatics - http://www.davidperkinsrarecoins.com/ - 25+ Years ANA, ANS, NLG, NBS, LM JRCS, LSCC, EAC, TAMS, LM CWTS, CSNS, FUN

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I’d go to the one in Philadelphia the end of August

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope not worth the risk.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yeah, Las Vegas in August!
    What could possibly go wrong?!

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The death rate from this disease has reached the point where it should no longer be classified as a Pandemic. Just sayin

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I were going, which I'm not, I'd be wearing an N95 mask. Don't like the idea of breathing recirculated air for an extended period of time. Would want max protection. FWIW.

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:
    The death rate from this disease has reached the point where it should no longer be classified as a Pandemic. Just sayin

What’s death rate got to do with being a pandemic?

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@stockdude_ said:

i just read an article on it. It is one of the criteria. Makes sense to me

• Options

Coronavirus deaths in the country have nearly reached a level where the virus will cease to qualify as an epidemic under Centers for Disease Control and Prevention rules, the federal agency reported on Friday.

The CDC qualifies a disease outbreak as an "epidemic" if the number of deaths attributable to the disease exceeds a certain percentage of total deaths per week. That threshold for pneumonia, influenza and COVID-19 fluctuates slightly depending on the time of year, ranging from around 7% at the height of flu season to around 5% during less virulent months.

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 6:30PM

“Confirmed coronavirus cases are growing faster in Arizona, Florida and South Carolina than in any country in the world not including the U.S. This week, California recorded its largest single-day death toll since the pandemic began. In Mississippi, major hospitals are running out of ICU beds as cases balloon.“

Sarcasm alert. Everything is just dandy. Let’s just downplay this and maybe it will go away.

Good grief we are still knee deep in the first wave in some parts of the country. There will be a second wave.

Anyways, there are always 15-20 dealers at non pandemic shows. Have to wonder out loud how many dealers will set up. On Site grading is one of the main draws. Will they eliminate this?

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stockdude_ said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@stockdude_ said:

What is it then? Please don’t say an epidemic.

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

@stockdude_ said:

According to the dictionary, nothing:

pan·dem·ic
    /panˈdemik/

adjective
    adjective: pandemic

(of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world

• Options

@Boosibri said:

@stockdude_ said:

@tradedollarnut said:

@stockdude_ said:

What is it then? Please don’t say an epidemic.

read my previous post from the CDC

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    “Confirmed coronavirus cases are growing faster in Arizona, Florida and South Carolina than in any country in the world not including the U.S. This week, California recorded its largest single-day death toll since the pandemic began. In Mississippi, major hospitals are running out of ICU beds as cases balloon.“

Sarcasm alert. Everything is just dandy. Let’s just downplay this and maybe it will go away.

Good grief we are still knee deep in the first wave in some parts of the country. There will be a second wave.

Anyways, there are always 15-20 dealers at non pandemic shows. Have to wonder out loud how many dealers will set up. On Site grading is one of the main draws. Will they eliminate this?

m

Perhaps you should take this up with the CDC then? Its their quote not mine

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 6:49PM

@stockdude_ said:

Who (except for certain political factions) CARES what we call the damn thing?

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seemingly we can’t talk about COVID without it turning into a political discussion. This is regrettable. @stockdude_ is not wholly wrong. The CDC is making noise like this. By certain criteria, a regional or global disease below a certain threshold of severity or mortality doesn’t qualify as an epidemic (or pandemic). Case numbers are huge, testing volume is huge, death rates are WAY lower than models predicted (and are continually being adjusted downward), but there has been a slight uptick in deaths over the past few days which may be a lagging response to increasing rates of disease. Time will tell.

Having had it all around me in the hospitals where I work, I’m becoming MUCH less concerned about it. Yeah, it’s a horrible disease but we already have LOADS of those. Yeah, it can kill you but there have always been plenty of things that can do that. I remain open-minded about it, but have stopped being fearful.

I think the show could be held safely enough, but I doubt those with medical conditions or advanced age would want to attend. In my hospital we’ve completely given up on N95 masks except in the presence of suspected or known disease. Another hospital where I work has given up testing asymptomatic elective pre-op patients. As for some hospitals being at capacity, this happens routinely enough during flu and RSV season, so it’s not unprecedented at all.

It is playing out very differently depending on where you live. What is perfectly rational for one area might seem irresponsible in another. The news and other media present a skewed version of reality (as they always do) and they tend to report on the hardest-hit areas, never those where things are OK. Fear sells and advertising revenue is king.

• Options

Its funny how people get agitated when you present any news that may be slightly positive . I guess thats their problem. Lets get back to coins

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@stockdude_ said:

Why are you getting upset? Do facts bother you?

• Options
    edited July 10, 2020 7:23PM

@stockdude_ said:
    Its funny how people get agitated when you present any news that may be slightly positive . I guess thats their problem. Lets get back to coins

If it was actually good news I’d be very happy about it and you’re right about getting back to coins. Out.

mark

• Options

Doc..not worrying about a second wave because we will still be in the first come the fall. Covid being aerosolized could be the deal breaker. Would not want to be a kid in a school in Florida in a couple weeks.

• Options

@stockdude_ said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@stockdude_ said:

What "facts" are you referring to? I see semantic games and hidden political agendas, but no facts, per se.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@stockdude_ said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@stockdude_ said:

What "facts" are you referring to? I see semantic games and hidden political agendas, but no facts, per se.

Read the thread sir. I posted a quote from the CDC. Has nothing to do with politics. Please dont put words in my mouth. I can speak for myself. Have a nice day

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

More shows scheduled. I’d love to attend the Oct show. Pondering...

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file