Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Preference for dealer attribution of varieties?

astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those of us who collect major varieties (e.g. VAM, Overton, Sheldon, etc) know some dealers provide attributions as part of the coin's description and many do not. The reasons likely vary (lack of time, lack of expertise, apathy, wanting to entice 'Cherry-Pickers,' etc.) and it seems that willfully ignoring varieties may leave significant 'money on the table.'

For example, those who collect Capped Bust halves by Overton die marriage know there is a strong network of dealers and collectors who specialize in these varieties who know the value and are willing to trade the coins at the price of the variety. As such, it's somewhat baffling when a national dealer and/or auction house does not attribute coins with such a strong collector base. Of course, the same can be said for Sheldon varieties of Large cents and VAM varieties of Morgan and Peace dollars.

So, as a collector, what is your preference? I prefer to trade with dealers who ...

Numismatist Ordinaire
See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

Preference for dealer attribution of varieties?

Sign in to vote!
This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t really bother me one way or another, but if a variety or die marriage is part of the listing, I make sure to confirm the attribution myself. I don’t trust dealers or TPGs enough to blindly accept variety or die marriage attributions since I’ve seen plenty of incorrect attributions (by dealers and by all four major TPGs).

• Options

@NSP said:
    It doesn’t really bother me one way or another, but if a variety or die marriage is part of the listing, I make sure to confirm the attribution myself. I don’t trust dealers or TPGs enough to blindly accept variety or die marriage attributions since I’ve seen plenty of incorrect attributions (by dealers and by all four major TPGs).

The assumption with the poll is the attributions are correct. It's always wise to 'trust, but verify' with respect to varieties ... even if on the TPG label.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not collect, nor check for, varieties....So it makes no difference to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NSP said:
    The assumption with the poll is the attributions are correct. It's always wise to 'trust, but verify' with respect to varieties ... even if on the TPG label.

This ^

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked May/May not. I don’t collect this way on purpose, but if it’s listed, it might pique my interest more, and if it’s not, I’m still going to check for special attributes when I get home. Since I don’t collect this way, I’m not going to be able to cherry pick, but I’ve lucked into one or two special varieties before (type 1 56 Proof Frank, for example, which I know by heart now).

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I do not collect, nor check for, varieties....So it makes no difference to me. Cheers, RickO

Generally true for me as well.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer dealers/auction houses that FAIL TO ATTRIBUTE but do provide excellent large photos so that I can cherrypick. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    chesterbchesterb Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the attribution but always verify it. It also helps when I go to research a coin I'd like to purchase if major dealers and auction houses have their sales archives already attributed because I get a better idea of a coins value that way.

• Options

More votes?

Numismatist Ordinaire
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 6, 2020 2:34AM

I believe there can be value in dealer attributions if they are accurate.
    Especially if the photos are not good enough (or the reference not easily available) to positively identify the variety.

I didn't vote in the poll because it is a general and complex issue to me.
    I try to view it not just from my perspective as a collector,
    but from the perspectives of a range of different collectors.

"Trust but verify" seems like a contradiction to me.
    "Appreciate and verify" seems closer to how people should use offered attributions. (Appreciate if they are usually accurate).
    Essentially, if thought to be generally accurate, it is worth using as an "initial estimate". Then you check it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_verify

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file