Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

YN Collections and Goals?

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking to involve my kids in something fun that hopefully keeps their interest with the hobby. What would you say would be a viable numismatic goal/series for small kids? Probably something from change right?? Lets hear some other suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    87redcivic87redcivic Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 6:22PM

Bulk lot of wheat cents and one coin folder 1941-1974
    = one evening filling out the wheat end + many weeks filling out the memorial end through change

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

When my youngest was younger (he's in his 20's now) we would go to the local shops and he would look in the bins for circulated stuff that caught his eye (often things we would discuss, and then maybe NOT buy), but mostly so he could ask to buy a small bag of the Lincoln Wheaties that had come in and went through the counter.

He would buy as many as he could (I think one shop was letting him buy at 3.5c or 4c each, and buying them back at 2c or 2.5c each). Over time I bought him a couple Wittman folders, and even a nicer old Meghrig album with slides for his best examples, and a few tubes for other "keepers". Oh, and of course, a Red Book and eventually a Cherry Pickers Guide.

It wasn't from change which made it seem to him more like collecting, and oh man, you could hear him from the back when he found something good. "Hey Dad!! I just found a 1917-S and it even looks okay!!"

I think there are probably still ways to buy bulk and trade back to keep the costs down. Certainly there are a lot more than Lincolns, but that was some very inexpensive and fun collecting for him.

He drifted away, but he has asked and shown some minor interest still. To my knowledge he still has the albums and tubes, and even a small bag he never returned to trade in. I think he might become one of us later.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

How Y are your Ns?

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m trying to do the same thing with mine (6 and 10). I got out the penny books yesterday and we’ve been going through my coins a lot.
    I’m just trying to find out what they like before I steer too much. I used to have some coloring books and stuff from the mint for kids, but I gave it all to nieces/nephews. I need to see if they still make that stuff.

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the Statehood quarters aren't worth much but it can be a fun place for a kid to start.
    They may even learn something about each state and the different designs can be fun to look at.
    You can still find Unc. coins in circulation and make a nice looking set.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 10:09PM

Keep it simple and fun. Like counting pennies. I really don't think you can create a collector. You either find the interest on your own or you don't. Good luck.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you live? I grew up in north Jersey, and while I didn't get a colonial until I was in college, it was that local history that first captured my fancy. I became interested in US type as a result of that initial interest in history, which led to an interest in other aspects of US history (even if not local to me), combined with an appreciation for the designs. I started collecting in 3rd grade.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Statehood quarter series is a good one...nice coins and available through change (or roll hunting). At the same time, the new innovation series could be started....So many opportunities for YN's in today's coins... The dates are conceptually relevant to young people as well... Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options

@messydesk said:
    How Y are your Ns?

16, 10 and 9.

• Options

@airplanenut said:
    Where do you live? I grew up in north Jersey, and while I didn't get a colonial until I was in college, it was that local history that first captured my fancy. I became interested in US type as a result of that initial interest in history, which led to an interest in other aspects of US history (even if not local to me), combined with an appreciation for the designs. I started collecting in 3rd grade.

Upper east Tennessee. We are steeped in history regionally that include some coins. Daniel Boone is a local hero and a school is named after him. While the commem is a bit much of a coin for a YN its still a neat part of history. Andrew Johnson is from a nearby town(Greeneville, TN), so I thought about the prez dollars but they don't circulate much any more. That is about all I can think about other than a few references about Indians that might include several other coins.

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circ US commems lots of history

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 8:12AM

@erwindoc said:

@airplanenut said:

Upper east Tennessee. We are steeped in history regionally that include some coins. Daniel Boone is a local hero and a school is named after him. While the commem is a bit much of a coin for a YN its still a neat part of history. Andrew Johnson is from a nearby town(Greeneville, TN), so I thought about the prez dollars but they don't circulate much any more. That is about all I can think about other than a few references about Indians that might include several other coins.

I think a Daniel Boone coin would be perfect. It's older, local, big and silver. Some decent, graded white MS ones can be had for less than $200 and I don't think that's too big at all for a 16 year old, and may be even a 10 year old. 16 year olds can have part time jobs so $200 may not be a big deal. I know kids with skis/snowboards (parents budget) and remote controlled cars (kids part-time job budget) worth more than that. If you went this way, this book would also be useful to give:

Daniel Boone's Own Story & The Adventures of Daniel Boone by Daniel Boone

Andrew Jackson also has deep history with Tennessee. He served in both houses of Congress for Tennessee, on the Tennessee Supreme Court and as part of the Tennessee militia. If you went with Jackson, it may be worthwhile to also give the following book:

Andrew Jackson and the Miracle of New Orleans: The Battle That Shaped America's Destiny by Brian Kilmeade

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say the wheats 1940 -58 then fill the memorials up with rolls from the bank. Let them pick the coins they like in the memorials ie. Circulated brown ones, or maybe they prefer more red unc ones. It will give you an idea of the grade of coin they like as well.

@erwindoc If you need a few lincoln whitman albums let me know. I will send you some for free. They are used but in nice shape. I'll even throw in a a few wheats for them to get started with.

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2020 8:26AM

Personally, I like the approach of a big coin rather than many smaller coins. When I think back on my youth, silver dollars and half dollars bring back good memories, while folders / rolls of red Lincoln wheaties were less interesting. Of course, I had both and everyone is different so I think it's worth trying both approaches.

If you want to go for more TN history and don't mind exonumia, here's a TN Centennial So-Called Dollar HK-275a. I think this is interesting but more specialized. I'd probably stick with the Boone half dollar.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file