Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capped Bust Dime - NEWP

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been looking for a large-sized, Capped Bust Dime, and this hit my radar a couple of weeks ago. The picture was a little dark, but I had a pretty good feeling based on some other research I did as _ went back and forth on if, and how much I would bid.

I kind of have a thing for over-dates too, so that helped keep me looking and thinking about her. Although I like more pronounced strikes when possible, this is an issue that seems plagued by the soft features over the brow. Large E's on the reverse, and based on everything I could find on-line, I believe this would be the JR-3 marriage (but I do not have that reference yet). She has a nice blue-gray color and ample luster remaining. The reverse is rotated CW about 30deg (as shown) and I do not know (yet) if that is common for the marriage.

Although she only arrived this afternoon, I am very happy with her. I find her to be a pleasing piece that I think will compliment my early US collection well. She's off to the vault tomorrow so I wanted to get some pictures of her tonight, and since they came out pretty decent, I thought I'd share.

Any comments from the more advanced Bust Dime guys would be appreciated. And guess the grade if you wish. Definitely show yours if you have them.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow great dime. Very pleasing example,
    I'd say xf40.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original look. I'll guess VF35.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting coin. I notice the letters in STATES are all different sizes.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

@ms70 said:
    Very interesting coin. I notice the letters in STATES are all different sizes.

Isn't it interesting how there are so many variations compared to modern coinage? Over-dates and mismatched lettering, devices placed in different positions and ways. Rotated reverses, uneven planchets and striking. The list could go on.

Something we would probably proclaim as terrible quality control today, and yet was the work of skilled craftsmen, and even today, to many of us, miniature works of art.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a very nice example of JR-3. Distinguishable from JR-1 and JR-2 in that the star at the forehead points to the juncture between the headband and cap.
    I have an example of the same variety.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 12:29AM

What is the difference in the 1823/2 10C JR-2 and JR-3? Just curious.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    What is the difference in the 1823/2 10C JR-2 and JR-3? Just curious.
    Jim

According to the Bust Dime Variety Identification Guide, JR-2 and JR-3 share the same reverse. The difference is in the obverse. In JR-2 star 7 points to the curl at the the forehead, while on JR-3 it points to the junction between headband and cap.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin and excellent pictures - the details are very clear and show the mismatched letters very well. Also the evidence of the overdate. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options

Thanks for the comments

@Eddi
    Nice example! Out of curiosity, is you reverse rotated as well?

I never found text that helped me identify pick-up points, but I found pictures of each, and based on my eye, I saw one other item that differentiated the two obverses. It certainly appeared to me that on the JR-3, the 2 in the date appeared lower (closer to the rim) in relation to the rest of the date. Maybe that is a notation from the 1822 host dies?

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vf 30/ 35

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to find higher grade versions of this date/overdate. Have had a
    lower grade.

• Options
    NSPNSP Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t have 1823/2 JR-3, but I do have JR-2. It shares the reverse with your JR-3.

Something interesting about this reverse is that the rightmost talon extends to the lowest arrow shaft. I believe that this is the only die marriage where this is the case (though I may be wrong; I encourage correction if I am in fact wrong).

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi Thank you

Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

35-40. Nice and original.

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I really like it's old silver look.

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file