Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Colonial Coins in Non-Colonial Collections

MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

What colonial coin is most often collected by non-colonial collectors?

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

8 reales

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Fugio cent?

This would be my guess too.

• Options

@bidask said:
    8 reales

I would guess that most non-colonial collectors aren't even familiar with the 8 reales, unfortunately.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 3:55PM

Besides the Fugio, I might vote for the 1787 Mass Cent as the first example of a US Cent struck? I had one for a while.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:
    Besides the Fugio, I might vote for the 1787 Mass Cent as the first example of a US Cent struck? I had one for a while.

Interesting. Maybe so. I hadn't thought of that.

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

Great thread, thanks for thinking of this topic :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options

@1630Boston said:

@MidLifeCrisis said:

You're welcome. What's your answer to my question? :smile:

• Options
    edited July 1, 2020 4:15PM

@keyman64 said:

I fully agree with your thinking and although I have less than 50 graded coins now ......I DO have this one:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

No idea but the only colonial coin that has any real interest to me is a nicely struck pine tree. Maybe one day I’ll buy one.

I don’t personally consider the 8 reales and similar to be colonial, even though they were used more than just about anything else. For me, it would have to be struck in North America before 1789 and preferably before 1776.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@bidask said:
    8 reales

I would guess that most non-colonial collectors aren't even familiar with the 8 reales, unfortunately.

It’s shown been close to the fly leaf page of “The Red Book” since the first edition.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@TurtleCat said:
    No idea but the only colonial coin that has any real interest to me is a nicely struck pine tree. Maybe one day I’ll buy one.

I'm a pretty big fan of nicely struck pine tree shillings, but for many they are prohibitively expensive.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly nor Fugios or Mass Copper. Those aren't colonials.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@TurtleCat said:

I'm a pretty big fan of nicely struck pine tree shillings, but for many they are prohibitively expensive.

Most are for me as well. If I get one, it would probably be in VG-VF grade but there are some that are pleasing and not too damaged in that range.

• Options

@BillJones said:

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@bidask said:
    8 reales

It’s shown been close to the fly leaf page of “The Red Book” since the first edition.

Yes, I thought of that as I was writing my post but I decided that it still didn't change my opinion. I may be wrong though.

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    This was mine...auction images.

That is one great xf45 cent :)

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis said:

@TurtleCat said:

Again with ** less than 50** graded coins I like this one:

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm one of those collectors who start at the bottom and work my way up. Ready for the shilling, but I hesitate because they appear at auction so frequently. Any HA auction and there are a bunch, although a nice one is admittedly uncommon as I dig through them. The one posted above is amazing, must have taken some patience to find that beauty.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:

Agree. They were struck after the colonial period which ended on July 4, 1776. The only actual coin struck during the colonial period is the 1773 Virginia half penny. All other "coins" were tokens. Even the Massachusetts silver tree "coins" were struck illegally which is why they had to freeze the dates to hide the fact they were still being made. Only the British treasury had the authority to issue coins in their colonies.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@MrEureka said:

Agree. They were struck after the colonial period which ended on July 4, 1776. The only actual coin struck during the colonial period is the 1773 Virginia half penny. All other "coins" were tokens. Even the Massachusetts silver tree "coins" were struck illegally which is why they had to freeze the dates to hide the fact they were still being made. Only the British treasury had the authority to issue coins in their colonies.

OK then, that one gets my vote. ;)

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 5:39PM

@PerryHall said:

@MrEureka said:

Okay, so, if items prior to July 4, 1776 were Colonials and items after 1792 or 1793 are US Coins, what are the items between those dates? Post Colonial Issues of the United States? They all aren't tokens. Some were speculative issues? I know little to nothing about these so my question is serious. Thank you.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@PerryHall said:

@MrEureka said:

Okay, so, if items prior to July 4, 1776 were Colonials and items after 1792 or 1793 are US Coins, what are the items between those dates? Post Colonial Issues of the United States? They all aren't tokens. Some were speculative issues? I know little to nothing about these so my question is serious. Thank you.

PCGS Coin Facts web site break down post colonial issues as States Coinage, Private and Regional Issues, Proposed National Issues, Washington Pieces, Libertas Americana Medals, and Fugio Cents.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

I did not respond to @MrEureka because I really didn't want to engage in this debate. However, if we must define "colonial" for this thread, then...I wouldn't get too caught up in the debate about what coins are actually colonial, pre-colonial, pre-federal, etc. I like to use the PCGS EARLY AMERICAN COINS AND TOKENS BASIC DESIGN SET (1616-1820)

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/complete-sets-1616-1820/complete-sets-1616-1820/early-american-coins-tokens-basic-design-set-1616-1820/composition/1457

The set consists of the following coins, some of which are not "American" at all, or are Conder Tokens, or never even circulated in North America, but they have traditionally been accepted as "colonial coins" for many years:

Massachusetts Silver Oak Tree
    Massachusetts Silver Pine Tree
    Maryland Coinage
    New Jersey St. Patrick Coinage
    American Plantation Token
    Rosa Americana Coinage
    Woods Hibernia Coinage
    Virginia Coinage
    Elephant Token Halfpenny
    Higley Copper
    Voce Populi Coinage
    Pitt Token
    Rhode Island Ship Medal
    Chalmers Coinage
    French Colonies Billon Coinage
    French Colonies Sou 1767
    Continental Dollar
    Nova Constellatio Copper
    Immunis Columbia
    Massachusetts Copper
    Connecticut Copper Bust Left
    New York Excelsior
    Machin’s Mills Copper
    Nova Eborac Copper
    New Jersey Copper Head Right
    Vermont Copper Plow
    Vermont Copper Bust Right
    North American Token
    Bar Copper
    Auctori Plebis Token
    Mott Token
    Kentucky Copper
    Franklin Press Token
    Myddelton Token
    Castorland Medal
    Talbot Allum & Lee Cent
    Washington Triumpho Token
    Washington Military Bust
    Washington Draped Bust
    Washington 1791-95 'Washington President' Obverse
    Washington Undated Liberty & Security
    Washington Success Medal
    Fugio Cent

• Options

@MidLifeCrisis
    I think you have defined your thread.
    I like it. :)

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

A Massachusetts cent is high on my want list, as the first appearance of the word "Cent". I don't remember if they actually predate the Fugios, but I'll have that Ben Franklin design represented by a fractional Continental note. History is fun!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have long hoped to find a colonial era coin while MD'ing. This area was settled in the late 1600's, so it is certainly possible....That is one reason I seek out old mountain cellar holes or rock walls...So far, no luck... but good exercise. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:

You're welcome. What's your answer to my question? :smile:

I collect US type coins and a couple of series, my only colonials are a Fugio cent, a Mass cent, and a Nova. Have a few Conder tokens too.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file