Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hubble Space Telescope on Maryland Innovation $1

SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hubble Space Telescope (HST) will be the design on the Maryland entry for the US Innovation $1 program. It actually appears to be a decent looking design.

collectspace.com/news/news-063020a-hubble-space-telescope-innovation-coin-design.html

Comments

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts:

1) Do we really need another dollar program?
    1a) This could have been a 30-year commemorative coin, perhaps.
    2) What does Maryland have to do with the Hubble telescope?
    3) A reverse proof might have been a good way to highlight the shiny exterior of the telescope.
    4) Meteor shower incoming!!

Sorry I can't be more excited about it. :|

• Options
    edited July 1, 2020 12:21PM

@CoinJunkie said:
    My thoughts:

2) What does Maryland have to do with the Hubble telescope?

NASA Goddard Space Center, which is located in MD, is the lead NASA center for the HST.

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.
    For a modern coin, not bad :)
    In for a bag.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess it's ok looking.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Hubble is managed by NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt and the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore.... "spittin" distance from where I reside.... Count me in for several reverse proofs.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a series of modern coins that has no good reason to exist. Few people even know they exist and even fewer care.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    This is a series of modern coins that has no good reason to exist. Few people even know they exist and even fewer care.

This is sort of true. But they are actually kind of pretty and fun. I mean, you could argue there is no good reason for any proof coin to exist. But people like them.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any exposure to the public in a positive way of the space program is good. It keeps and hopefully generates new interest for the space program. I like the design.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's out of this world.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PipestonePete said:
    I buy bags of these dollars just to use as tip money. People really like receiving them.

Same. One of the baristas at my local coffee shop LOVES them. Great coins for tip jars.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 7:20PM

Between the proofs and reverse proofs this set is going to be a pain for me to collect. Plus every time these ten year programs come out I start doing the math i’ve how old I will be when it’s over.. 😳

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the pricing makes no sense

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:

It's actually the coin dates that make no sense. They raised the price on January 1st but NJ was released in 2020 not 2019 while Pennsylvania was released in 2019.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design. Though not a fan of most of the modern renditions, this one is reasonably well done and represents a significant achievement in our space program. Some of the pictures produced by the HST have been phenomenal. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Schmitz7Schmitz7 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

From the images show here it looks like the “gears” privy mark on the obverse of the coin has been changed from the previous year’s coins. Will be interested to see an actual coin.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SkyMan said:
    It actually appears to be a decent looking design.

Agree. It would be fun to spend these if not for the virus.

Restaurants here are refusing cash now.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's what I don't get - the damn thing was designed as are most of NASA's projects at CalTech/JPL. Who care where it is operated from?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4, 2020 5:17AM

@7Jaguars said:
    Here's what I don't get - the damn thing was designed as are most of NASA's projects at CalTech/JPL. Who care where it is operated from?

Obviously the people who care include the operators themselves and people promoting their state. I didn't know it was operated there and I'm glad to know that's happening in Maryland.

• Options

I collect the reverse proofs. The Statue of Liberty side is outstanding IMO; the other side, of course, varies. My biggest complaint is the lack of a date (Sac $, too) on the obverse face of the die.

• Options

??? Don't get Zoins comment about the people that care. Have you an idea how Fed contracts are given out? Not sure how that is who cares most. The fact is the brain power that created it was in California - that is my point.
    I live in Maryland, but like to call a spade a spade. Ridiculous theme, but I guess there is not a lot of scientific innovation here. I suppose they could more appropriately use NIH as a theme - at least that make sense.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    ??? Don't get Zoins comment about the people that care. Have you an idea how Fed contracts are given out? Not sure how that is who cares most. The fact is the brain power that created it was in California - that is my point.
    I live in Maryland, but like to call a spade a spade. Ridiculous theme, but I guess there is not a lot of scientific innovation here. I suppose they could more appropriately use NIH as a theme - at least that make sense.

With all due respect, there is a LOT of brainpower at NASA Goddard, and I believe the original HST design work was also a Goddard creation too. Even if it wasn't, keeping the HST going for 30 years is a significant technological achievement.

• Options

I think that misses my point entirely. When it literally comes to rocket science, that would be CalTech, and they along with Lockheed-Martin (Sunnyvale) are at last check in California.
    Wonderful that mission management has been brought to Goddard, but that is not the INNOVATIVE part.
    Maryland DOES have NIH however which is a center of such, and that is why it would be my choice.

• Options

I like the series as a whole and am collecting the reverse proofs.

• Options
    ɹoʇɔǝlloɔɹoʇɔǝlloɔ Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

ordered p and d rolls - got double d rolls 😑

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 4, 2021 2:59PM

Got 2 Philidelpha rolls today...finally (ordered 13 Dec)
    Still waiting on 1 Denver roll

Very nice design though :)

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

$1.75 for these ...

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coins with space themes have always been one of my things.
    I've been waiting for these...because I already love them!!!
    My bank will hook me up! Been going to the same large Chase branches in Denver for decades :smiley:

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options

at face - even nicer 😎

• Options
    edited February 5, 2021 1:13PM

well, when I ordered a P and D roll of these last year, the mint sent me 2 × D rolls instead, and have been 110% unresponsive as far as a return of the extra D roll and having them send me the P roll I ordered and paid for ... SO I finally just cracked one of the D rolls open to look at and then spend on coffee tips, while I wait [&🤞] for the P rolls to come back available for purchase

haven't looked at any of the unc finish innovation dollars I've ordered as I've just been ordering a P and D roll of each and stowing em away unopened in-box

for a roll of Denver-minted unc small dollars, these had a much better than avg surface appearance, although their edge-lettered collar strikes were dinged and 'chattery' as usual

the only v minor thing to speak of was this 20☆20 I saw on one of the edges; more like 3/5s of a misplaced ☆, but also appeared to have the negative spaces around it incused into the surface, as opposed to the star area itself being incused, as they are around the rest of the edge perimeter

v tough feature to photograph, so apologies for this shoddy camera work, but maybe you can make it out?

anyone find anything interesting on any unc innobucks yet?

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The newest coin i have is an 86 Statue of Liberty commem dollar. I doubt that will change

• Options

I sure wish they would restore the date to the obverse field of these coins where it SHOULD be as I stated above. This business of putting the date on the edge is a BAD idea.

• Options

also not a fan of having to use a magnification tool to read the date + mm on these, @koynekwest

• Options

I like all the small dollars with the exception of the Presidential series. I wish they were used in commerce more but that won't happen until they discontinue the dollar bill.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2021 10:49PM

also wish they were circulating - gave my girlfriend a handful of innobucks this evening and she was like, 'are these real money?' 😅 would be great if the general public could be exposed to these in circulating coinage - im doing my part by seeding some of my surplus as tips to industry workers here in the frigid north 🥶

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file