Home U.S. Coin Forum

PCGS results, the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

So I got my coins back from PCGS and I like the new black boxes and thought I'd share. First up is the Good

Now the Bad isn't really that bad, but could've been better

And now the Ugly and it's ugly and I have no idea what happened to this one, but I've never seen another one of my coins do that.

Tagged:

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy and welcome.

If I recall correctly, similar staining, streaking or spotting has been seen on the gold Buffaloes as well as the JFK anniversary gold. Perhaps others might their images of these coins. I would also suspect that there is a small niche of folks who would actively search out gold coins with this color.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Howdy and welcome.

If I recall correctly, similar staining, streaking or spotting has been seen on the gold Buffaloes

I remember this as well.

Welcome!

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Howdy and welcome.

If I recall correctly, similar staining, streaking or spotting has been seen on the gold Buffaloes as well as the JFK anniversary gold. Perhaps others might their images of these coins. I would also suspect that there is a small niche of folks who would actively search out gold coins with this color.

@K!!!" For the type, it may actually be monster toned :smiley:

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums! :)

• Becky7474Becky7474 Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

Welcome!!

• JaLPJaLP Posts: 199 ✭✭✭

There are a couple of threads about removing copper spots from modern gold.
    Here's one:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1036565/2014-gold-kennedy-proof-copper-spotted

@7jaguars seems to have experience if you want to reach out.

Of course you'd have to crack out the SLQ and lose FS, but his technique seems to get good results.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Aboard!

I just sent a submission to PCGS on Monday, they received it yesterday and will hopefully log them into the system today...the great wait begins. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

• LongarmLongarm Posts: 89 ✭✭

Thanks everyone for the welcoming and as ugly as it is I'll stick in my collection. Gotta get the Weir Farm 5oz quarters ready to go next.

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 2:41PM

I like your avatar. I refreshed my browser and now it's spinning here.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

I havea spot like that on a 2017 1/2oz Maple Leaf. Put it in an airtite as soon as i got it. Looked at it a few years later and there it was.
    I also have a 19-S RP ASE, but its still in the box. Still debating sending it in for grading or just keeping it sealed.
    Did you also get the COA encapsulated?

• KoveKove Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not offended by the toning on the reverse of the gold quarter.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o36m-2TPwck
    Blondie! (I was gonna be rich...)

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

...the great wait begins. :)

You mean the great "Anticipation" begins. Lol. Good Luck. I'm waiting for two of my coins (from two separate submissions) to come home as well. :)
    Anticipation, is making me wait...

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 7:50PM

At least you didn't get a "Unc Details - Stained" on that gold SLQ thingy.

@d9lowe said:
    I havea spot like that on a 2017 1/2oz Maple Leaf. Put it in an airtite as soon as i got it. Looked at it a few years later and there it was.
    I also have a 19-S RP ASE, but its still in the box. Still debating sending it in for grading or just keeping it sealed.

No I didn't, it was #6260 so I didn't really care to get it encapsulated.

@Kove said:
    I'm not offended by the toning on the reverse of the gold quarter.

I'm not either, I do like unique toning just wasn't expected. I checked my others and my gold Kennedy's and there's no toning on them. I still have a gold dime and half sealed that I was gonna send in, but now I'll wait.

• MgarmyMgarmy Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@d9lowe said:

For what it is worth, the unopened boxes appear to be doing better than the 69’s on eBay

100% positive transactions with SurfinxHI, bigole, 1madman, collectorcoins, proofmorgan, Luke Marshall, silver pop, golden egg, point five zero,coin22lover, alohagary, blaircountycoin,joebb21

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Longarm .... Welcome aboard...Nice reference to my favorite movie.... ;) Sorry about that strange tarnish on the gold coin...not a typical copper spot (at least not from the pictures). I would sell that one...someone would want it. Cheers, RickO

So I went back and checked my coins again and this time took pics and there is a spot on the other quarter, but it's not as bad as the other, the dime and half look okay though.

• d9lowed9lowe Posts: 304 ✭✭✭✭

@Mgarmy said:

@d9lowe said:

For what it is worth, the unopened boxes appear to be doing better than the 69’s on eBay

I have noticed that. Also, the longer they go without finding COA #1, or any lower #, the more it could be worth. Could be sitting on a gold mine and not know it!!

• jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recently sold a 2014 Kennedy Anniversary coin...it had the same issue. I was pretty upset when I pulled the coin from my SDB and saw the spot. See pics in link.

Link

jom

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mind set exhibited in this thread is amusing.

70 = good.

69 = bad.

68 = ugly.

I thought MS 68 and 69 are grades which are as close to perfection as a coin could get. Both should merit cheers and high fives.

MS70 is perfection and would warrant a celebration like fireworks on July 4th.

@jom said:
    I recently sold a 2014 Kennedy Anniversary coin...it had the same issue. I was pretty upset when I pulled the coin from my SDB and saw the spot. See pics in link.

Link

jom

I checked my gold Kennedy's too and they look okay.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

@bigmarty58 said:
    Welcome to the forum!

Thanks

Okay, so I forgot to add to link to the shared order,
    https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/21818165

Here's my new orders, got a bunch more 68's.
    https://www.pcgs.com/shared-orders/order-details/21872562

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

You wanna see UGLY;

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2020 8:20PM

One of these wb sending in.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file