Home Precious Metals
Options

Do YOU try to sell your PMs, when you sell, into a rising market or a falling market?

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of like stocks, imo.
You can either sell too early, and feel bad that you missed out, or you can sell too late, and watch it dropping like a rock, and feel bad too.

I have found myself, when I do sell, unconsciously I think, trying to sell into a rising market. I know I won't be able to purposefully time it to sell at the peak, but I also know what I have in and what I want (minimum)...and I actually prefer, particularly if selling to an individual but sometimes also a shop, when it goes up a bit after I sell. I don't feel like I 'stuck it' to anyone.

From the purely financial side of things, though, I like the fact that selling into the rise feels pretty safe.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rising market for sure.

The key is to sell before greed sets in otherwise you will be kicking yourself later on. Much easier said than done, unfortunately I speak from experience and greed has kicked my backside more than once.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like to sell them in 1979 and 2011...
    Really looking forward to 2043!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lately, in a rising market, I do much better buying NUGT and AGQ.

I keep the PMs for insurance and trade the dips with the above gold and silver ETFs.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    dennis1219dennis1219 Posts: 267 ✭✭✭

Holding. Holding. Holding. Oh, and maybe a little more stacking. Not looking for a 20% profit. I could get that now. I may quiver a bit at 40+, but am good passing it on to the kiddos.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i sell modern gold coins on a upward market and use that money to buy graded $10 indians and $10 libertys

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll sell when and if I need to recapitalize.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 10:18PM

Silver is good for bartering. Gold is good for preserving wealth.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Always into a rising market.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a rising market is best

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last go round (2011) I swapped lots of generic silver for gold. That counts as a rising market right?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I did sell gold, it was in a rising market... and purely serendipitous that it was within striking distance of the top. At the time, I thought it was a rising market. I will likely sell some more gold in the near future...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    alexercaalexerca Posts: 247 ✭✭✭

I always have a plan for whatever I buy and then I stick to it I sell in a rising market.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sell when everybody is buying.

Buy when everybody is selling.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I trade paper pm's around my core physical position. I don't need a rising trend to sell some... I just need an up day close to the top of my daily risk range. I don't need a down trend to buy some, just a down day close to the bottom of my daily risk range.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2020 8:05PM

Rising market. Less chance of buyers remorse.
    Now and for the last 3 month, has been an excellent time for sellers.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep it constantly moving as fast as i can.

One time (few years back) I had just purchased 34 oz of gold, went across the street to the bank to get the lady paid, by the time I had went back across the street to the shop, price had dropped like 55 bucks, Was wiped out of profit and into a loss at that point. Now, if somebody comes in, with a large amount, i have called and locked it in before the customer even leaves.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m wrong 75% of the time when I attempt to time ANY market, but I did sell a huge amount of 90% US silver at $38/oz in 2011. I hated to sell, as I absolutely love the stuff, but it made sense at the time. Much of it I had purchased for around $10-$13. Sold it all. Missed the high in 2011, of course, but I was still happy to walk out of Bellevue Rare Coin with a nice fat check.

Stay safe -
    Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

i sold a 2013 reverse proof buffalo pcgs PR-70 for 2,500. i have 3, got them all graded and all 3 come back PR-70. been trying to sell these on and off for 5 years now. with a issue price of 1,640, just wanted to break even after grading fees and selling fees, glad i didn't blow them out