Home U.S. Coin Forum

All this talk about Chain Cents makes me want one.

abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

And we all know that's not happening. So, in lieu of that, please show me yours.

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah ... right!!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The hair detail in a fully stuck 1793 is off the chain!

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MidLifeCrisis said:
    I want one too. Until then, here are a few pictures...

Correct me if I'm wrong:
    Wasn't that a photo from a catalogue from "Mr. Mint"? Sold only ultra high end coins with a promise of strong buy-backs.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong:
    Wasn't that a photo from a catalogue from "Mr. Mint"? Sold only ultra high end coins with a promise of strong buy-backs.

I don't know. Sorry. These are just some pictures in my files that I had saved over the years.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abcde12345 said:
    Correct me if I'm wrong:

Jay Parrino's The Mint, I believe.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 6:25PM

@CoinJunkie said:

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2020 9:53PM

@MidLifeCrisis posted some great photos.
    I hope someday there will be some nice public color photos of what is likely the very best Chain Cent -
    the 1793 Chain Periods S-4 SP-67 BN, aka "The Coin!".

The black and white photos in Breen's Encyclopedia p.179 are great,
    but the coin has not appeared in a public auction for many years, so it has somewhat disappeared from public view.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1793-chain-1c-periods-bn/507167

P. Scott Rubin wrote this about the top S-4 coins in the Business Strike section:

The record auction price for a large cent was achieved at the Heritage January, 2012 FUN sale, when the 3rd finest Sheldon-4, 1793 Chain Cent with Periods after the date and LIBERTY sold for $1,380,000. This coin is graded MS-65 by PCGS became only the second large cent to sell for over one million dollars at auction. While this beautiful coin has now reached the mark of over a million dollars it is interesting to note at the same sale a PCGS AU-53 coin of the same Sheldon variety and a coin tied for 5th in this issue’s census sold for $161,000.
    This being said now let us compare the record breaking coin to the finest S-4 known, that coin is graded by PCGS as Specimen-67 and is in a class by itself as the only Specimen graded coin of the issue and an even finer example of this early U.S. Chain Cent issue. The price of this coin must now be considered in the value range that up to now have only been achieved by coins like the 1913 Liberty Head Nickel, the 1804 Dollar and Brasher Doubloons when they reached the auction block.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1793-chain-1c-periods-bn/91341

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MikeInFL said:
    Here is my humble example (PCGS FR02 CAC):

A while back I agreed with someone who asserted that lower grade Chain Cents just didn't look good. Yours is an exception.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a coin I have always hoped to find MD'ing in this area... History goes way back here, so it is certainly possible. So far...no luck. :'( Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2020 1:54PM

@btcollects said:

@BillJones said:
    Here's the one in my collection, which is now certified.

I love the look of that one, Bill. What did it grade? I would guess VF25-ish?

NGC graded it VF -20. I thought it should have gotten a Fine -15.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the best FA-2 I've seen as well, I had a 1799 that looked like that. I had it as an AG-3, the guy I sold it to got it in a VG-8 holder.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2, 2020 6:40PM

@Aotearoa said:

@MikeInFL said:
    Here is my humble example (PCGS FR02 CAC):

A while back I agreed with someone who asserted that lower grade Chain Cents just didn't look good. Yours is an exception.

Thanks, I thought so too. I had been looking for one I could afford (i.e., low grade) for many years before I found this one. I'd love to upgrade to one with more meat (like Fishteeth's a few posts above), but the way these things have gone up in price that may never happen. In any event, I'm really happy with the coin and appreciate the kind words about it. :)

Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    I’ve owned this one for 24+ years. Can’t bear to cross it over to our host’s plastic.

don't.....do.....it.....!!!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

I've always wanted one!!!!

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• ElectricityElectricity Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

Here is one I got to photograph many years ago. The man who owns it wants a strong price for it, and the coin has a lot of issues. It's now in a "details" holder the last time I saw it.

That Cent is so Nice, even with the distracting marks.. XF Detail? Nice photo btw

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins in here!

• MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great. Now I want one too. B)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file