Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Small Find: 1918 D Mercury Dime From British Seller

7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

While chasing British coins, I got this little coin - unfortunately not full bands, but probably uncirculated?
Also, what say you, should I dip it or leave it alone?

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice! I would not dip it. The natural patina is already pleasing and I think a dip would not improve it.

To my eyes it looks AU58.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it alone ... it's a good looking coin.

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check out the reverse I see what appears to be damage to the letters at the top of coin. Not sure but that coin could of been jewelry at one time.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice AU coin with some prominent machine doubling. If you want to ruin it then by all means dip the crap out of it.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Don't dip - I do not believe it was mounted.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

No dip. Would look nice in an album.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice old Merc.... Likely AU.... Do not dip it.....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in the AU camp.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU!

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a high AU

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice AU55/58 example. Do not dip/strip that coin. It will look like crap and lose a huge chunk of the value.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:
    Check out the reverse I see what appears to be damage to the letters at the top of coin. Not sure but that coin could of been jewelry at one time.

I don't think so.
    It looks like there was a lot of metal movement when struck, possibly due to a somewhat malformed planchet.

I don't think "dipping" would hurt it since the coin is fairly bright already.
    But dipping probably wouldn't improve it either. So with no upside potential, I say leave as is.

Looks like AU58-MS61 range.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please don't dip it. That's a nice Choice AU piece with a pretty good strike for the date. It might go low Unc', but I'm in the 55 to 58 camp. Dipping will lose value for that piece, for sure.

The "damage" to the letters pointed out is not damage, that is striking weakness. Early Denver mint examples are seen with this edge weakness often IIRC. In fact it is common on other series with lettering pulled out close to the rim.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

It actually looks a bit better in hand, but that would be my bias. I was kind of thinking 62ish.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quite a decent coin. I agree with AU and not dipping it. The only issue I see are some areas of corrosion on the reverse.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

As is !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 but nothing more. Do not dip!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LindeDad said:

Common strike weakness.

It is a 58 in my opinion. Nice coin, congrats on the find.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

This coin could have been left in Great Britain from someone in WW1, the letters in Liberty are they double? or just from the way it was photographed. it is a very nice coin the way it is I would not "Dip" it.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree with previous "do not dip" and AU grade opinions. Very nice original looking example.

• Options
    edited June 29, 2020 1:22PM

Yea, I tend to like it the way it is. The pictures just don't seem to do it justice. I will try some other pictures but you guys are the experts.

Reverse seems to show some signs of die stress, Danny would have us on that!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good looking dime in AU shape given it made it across the pond and back. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. I would not dip it.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53

• Options

Wow, that is hard there....Not a big deal but the worst I could see is 55/58. There is toning on the high points but very little in the way of wear.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a good chance that a US sailor or a ship based marine spent it during WWI. While most US soldiers and marines went directly to France from the US, many US warships were based in Britain.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

Yes, I think it is these elements that make such little coins interesting....The coin almost looks like it had been in a purse of some sort....

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d say AU55. Nice looking slider....please don’t clean it.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does have the look of a 62 but the photo also makes it look AU. Either way...good find. Pretty good strike of an 18D as well. Don't dip.

jom

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    There is a good chance that a US sailor or a ship based marine spent it during WWI. While most US soldiers and marines went directly to France from the US, many US warships were based in Britain.

Isn't that an interesting possibility? As we have all said many times, "If coins could talk!"

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2020 6:43PM

I took it out of the mylar holder and took these pictures (uggh blurry):

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights