Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cool call from my local bank!

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 22, 2020 6:36PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, I got a call from my local bank that a customer had brought in some wheat cents in rolls just to cash in. Turns out someone in the family had passed away and these were rolls put away long ago and they wanted rid of them! The teller had saved them for me. They had other things to cash in, but someone else had already called dibs on the silver(AKA the branch manager! I plan to bring the bank tellers breakfast later in the week! Unfortunately, no big rarities in the rolls, but I was surprised how little circulation some of these had seen. Ill get out the CPG sometime in the future to make certain! Gotta love the hillbilly "wheet" cents!

Comments

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Hunting!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2020 7:19PM

That IS cool! When I get a call from my bank the news seems never to be cool. People hacking into my accounts etc. Not cool.

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's nice to know someone on the inside!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

You would have hoped the teller or bank manager would let them know what they had so they could take to a dealer instead of cashing in

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Elcontador1Elcontador1 Posts: 100 ✭✭✭

I have a four rolls of pre 1950s wheaties and a few of pre 1940s wheaties. Not worth much. Everything has long ago been taken out of circulation except for pennies. Found a 37 S in probably VF 35 the other day. Five years ago, I found a 53 S which would grade MS 65 RD.

• GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

Speaking of "wheaties" I was watching The Coin Vault and they were offering 2,500 wheaties from the 40's and 50's, 10 rolls of "S" mints and 10 rolls from the 30's for $220. Average circulation. 6 cents a coin. Probably pretty well picked through, no?

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with the CPG search.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Imagine how distracted we'd be if we actually worked on the front line at a bank!!!!!

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,970 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put that teller on your Christmas list for sure

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with your search.... never know, there could be an overlooked variety in there. I would expect any special coins (i.e. 55 DDO) were separated before they were rolled. But others could easily been missed. Cheers, RickO

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice haul! Nice all copper hoard.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not seen a roll like that since I was 13 years old!

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3stars said:
    You would have hoped the teller or bank manager would let them know what they had so they could take to a dealer instead of cashing in

My thoughts exactly, at least for the silver. :/

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

The branch manager is getting ready to retire. I have to keep the wheels greased at the bank! She might have let some 40% slip through recently, but I didn't ask.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GiveMeProof said:
    Speaking of "wheaties" I was watching The Coin Vault and they were offering 2,500 wheaties from the 40's and 50's, 10 rolls of "S" mints and 10 rolls from the 30's for $220. Average circulation. 6 cents a coin. Probably pretty well picked through, no?

You won't get 'lube' with that purchase. These coins might be worth 3 cents each max, and that's on a good day.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭

I see you got an error roll. "Wheet" cents. That's got to be worth something. Nice.

image Respectfully, Mark
  • GiveMeProofGiveMeProof Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭

@Elcontador said:

@GiveMeProof said:

You won't get 'lube' with that purchase. These coins might be worth 3 cents each max, and that's on a good day.

As I expected, thanks Elconador.

• erwindocerwindoc Posts: 5,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2020 12:16PM

Don't get your feelings hurt! I am a local person and proud to be a hillbilly! I even wear shoes most days!!! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file