Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another Bust Dollar Collection

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, it's missing the 1794 and 1804, and the grades are lower than the Morelan set, but still cool to see in a custom Capital Plastics holder. The owner bought these coins in the 1970s and 1980s and had the holder made to store them.

Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like a set in the "original" slab.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 10:35AM

That is an amazing set. Imagine holding that in your hands! It's a feeling unlike holding coins one at a time.

I'm a huge fan of Capital Plastics holders and that looks like an amazing set.

The coins in these holders tend to be a notch above and look a notch above those in albums.

Capital Plastics and PCGS should have a joint venture where Registry Sets can use Capital Plastics image backgrounds in addition to album backgrounds.

• Options

I wish the owner allowed space for the 1794 and 1804, since he would have acquired them both over the past 40 years if that was the case. The collection also came with a complete Proof Morgan Dollar set (all with a very similar look, very fresh, clean cheeks, white), although he decided to grade these about 20-25 years ago.

Ian Russell
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 12:32PM

Nice @ianrussell :)
    So, I am guessing they will be graded by PCGS and sold soon on GC? Pretty neat!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,973 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool and fresh!! B)

Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ianrussell said:
    I wish the owner allowed space for the 1794 and 1804, since he would have acquired them both over the past 40 years if that was the case. The collection also came with a complete Proof Morgan Dollar set (all with a very similar look, very fresh, clean cheeks, white), although he decided to grade these about 20-25 years ago.

Astounding and spectacular set.

Love the plastic! Custom matching capital holders could be made to display the 1794 on the left and the 1804 on the right.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tellya, if Capital plastic holder get popular again, I'm gonna grin from ear to ear.

(in a private poll of course) :D

• Options

I MISS MY HOLDERS !!!! B)

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. 👍

• Options

Off Center 1795 draped bust dollars are my cup of tea. <3

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 2:22PM

I tell ya, GC gets some cool stuff ,

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine GC will provide a 1099 for the proceeds of this sale. I’d hate to have to pay 28% tax on these!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a really cool set.

• Options
    SSRSSR Posts: 235 ✭✭✭✭

very cool set

www.paradimecoins.com - Specializing in Top Pop Type PCGS CAC coins. Subscribe To Our NEWPs Mailing List

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful set of coins.... And @LanceNewmanOCC... Thanks for that set of pictures...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2020 6:16AM

@ianrussell said:

We all know the 1804 has been well beyound the financial reach of almost all collectors for a very long time.

Some people might think that the 1794 was once affordable, but hasn't been for the time that I've been a collector. Back in the late 1970s I used to go to the Bay State Show in Boston. There was a New Hampsire dealer who had quite a large inventory of early dollars. His 1794 was priced at about $35,000, and I don't think that the piece would have gotten a straight grade today. For a long time, you could not have gotten it into anything but an NCS (NGC problem slab) that would have certified it as genuine.

It takes some guts to pay $35,000 for a coin which won't grade.

And yes, that's a cool set. Back in the day, used to have holders made up like that. I had one made for the early half dimes, but slabbing came in soon after I had it done. So I never got to use it.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is so great to see nice dollar sets that are not Morgan or Peace dollars! The Capital plastics holder presents them very well.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

@topstuf said:
    I tellya, if Capital plastic holder get popular again, I'm gonna grin from ear to ear.

(in a private poll of course) :D

Love them, yet remember when sometimes the holes were not quite right? Sometimes a bit too big and the coin would spin within the hole or sometimes a bit too small and you would have to slightly 'carve' the hole to make it a bit bigger? Otherwise, neat.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    Beautiful set of coins.... And @LanceNewmanOCC... Thanks for that set of pictures...Cheers, RickO

welcome!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@keyman64 said:
    Nice @ianrussell :)
    So, I am guessing they will be graded by PCGS and sold soon on GC? Pretty neat!

Yes, currently being graded.

• Ian
    Ian Russell

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file