Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Preferred Purchasing Method

ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,
I've been enjoying the forum for a few weeks and finally decided to join and post.
I live 3hrs from the nearest coin shop, but really love purchasing in person (discussion, handling the coins, seeing them with my own poor eyes, etc.) and haven't bought online in years (10+).
Quarantine has given me a lot more time to look at my coins and look online and I've also got a little money starting to burn a hole in my pocket.
So what do you like to do? What should I do? Just wait until COVID dies down and travel to look at coins in person, or take the plunge online and get something new to hold and check it out really well once it arrives?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would stay away from stores at this time. I like and have had no problems buying online ... but I am very careful and stick to certified coins. Good luck.

• Options

Thanks, I'll definitely be staying away from stores for awhile - my wife is high risk and the closest stores are in different states (and cities that are blowing up with COVID). So for me, it's wait it out, or go online. :smile:

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 5:02PM

I guess we can all agree that seeing the coin in hand is always the best, but, I use all options available. You just never know what you're going to find or where.

And - Welcome to the forums!
    WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome Shaun.
    As a forum lurker you realize where most of the members stand on this topic.
    And as you know, there are a lot of sharp people here that are able to delay gratification.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2020 5:12PM

Hey! How you doin? Glad to see ya pull the trigger and join us! Lurking awhile huh? I lurked almost a full year before I made the decision. Welcome. Regarding Covid is gone, My opinion, first off, be careful buying online. I'm not saying it's all that bad but watch closely what you purchase. 3 hrs. away from your nearest shop, huh? wow. Too bad for you. It's all up to you, If you really do have the time and money maybe that 3 hr. drive would be worth it? Lol. I mean, I think it's more pleasurable to have and see the coin/s in hand. I think you'll be glad you did. Get the feel of the in-store experience. The actual smell of silver and copper when you walk in. I certainly would call them beforehand to arrange the time period that suits you and the owner. Bring a good Loupe and even some notes on what to buy on your want list. Do a little homework before you leave. Watch some YouTube shows that are coin related and read some coin books. Good Luck in whatever you decide. Most importantly, have FUN! Post often and don't be afraid to ask any questions here on the Forum. Don't let anybody intimidate you here as well.
    Collect what YOU want not what other people like. One more advice; check up on the Cherry Pickers' Guide for Varieties. This is my favorite part in the Hobby and more rewarding too. :) -Joey

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everyone will have a different level of comfort; both with exposure to COVID as well as purchasing venues.

In my area the number of total people affected is so low that I would have no problem buying in person while exercising appropriate precautions. I also have no problem ordering online from respectable places.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome!

For the last several years I've been mainly buying online, and mostly slabbed stuff. I do go to one local coin shop but not since the COVID-19 appeared on the scene.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Buying online is the only way to go if you don't have coin shops close. Buying slabs are more important now than it was 20 years ago as buying raw was not NEAR as risky.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

Ken
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin show with a dealer. Beyond that, Internet interactions with known dealers comes next. Auctions are next, but I have hierarchy. I won’t go into that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bearcave said:
    Buying online is the only way to go if you don't have coin shops close. Buying slabs are more important now than it was 20 years ago as buying raw was not NEAR as risky.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

This, or build your cash for some big in store purchases later.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

Thanks everybody.
    I struggle with quantity vs quality like I’m sure everyone does. The budget ebbs and flows and I tend to buy one nice/special coin when I do make it to a shop/show. So my collection has been growing at a few coins per year lately. They’re expensive (for me, for a hobby, usually $100-400) and I really enjoy them, but sometimes I think I want more coins to mess with.
    I was thinking of hitting up my bank for something to search through, then people started posting about a change shortage :smiley:

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, part of this depends on thee amount being spent. The smaller the price, the bigger the risk I'm willing to take.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShaunBC5 .... Welcome aboard....In your situation, staying home for now is the obvious choice. So, online will be the next move, and in that case, stick with slabbed coins from reputable sites. I would recommend you stay away from ebay - just too many scams there for comfort. Have fun...Cheers, RickO

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand that some people are afraid to purchase on ebay, but many of the finest coins I own have been purchased there. Things like an S-VDB in 64, a 55/55 in 62, basically a gold type set assembled in 63......etc.
    After all, it is, without a doubt, the world's largest coin shop !

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

online is my way of buying coins

• Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 7:20AM

@ShaunBC5 said:
    Thanks everybody.
    I struggle with quantity vs quality like I’m sure everyone does. The budget ebbs and flows and I tend to buy one nice/special coin when I do make it to a shop/show. So my collection has been growing at a few coins per year lately. They’re expensive (for me, for a hobby, usually $100-400) and I really enjoy them, but sometimes I think I want more coins to mess with.

Welcome,
    I say focus on quality and let the quantity take care of itself. Collections grow and change size naturally over time but a coins condition never gets finer while it’s sitting in your safe. I would also add, the cheapest way to purchase a coin is to buy it once and avoid buying “this will work for now” pieces.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2020 7:46AM

My favorite way to buy coins is at a show, face to face with dealers. Since that is impossible at this time, I have been buying from dealers on-line I know. I have also have bought some coins in on-line auctions, but that is a distant third for me. I seem to get run up most of the time. Auctions almost never yield any “bargains” for me.

I have not done very much business with a brick and mortal store for a very line time. Those guys have got high overheads to cover, and their prices are often not competitive. There have been exceptions to this for me over the 60+ years that I have been a collector, but generally I’ll take a good coin show over any other venue.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will not do a person to person transaction in the current environment.

My few purchases are online and the BST.

• Options

Probably won't get it, but I just put a bid in on Great Collections.
    Maybe I'll start by bidding on coins I really want, but only at amounts I know I'll be thrilled with, and the losing will motivate me to either step up to the plate online or just be more patient :smiley:

• Options

Its the thrill of hunt!!!

Nothing like a good show!! Best place to see and evalute and then negotiate

Looking forward to the Greenville sc show in 2 days!!!!!!

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy! Our host has some great apps to put on your Cell phone. Be safe and take your time cause it's your $. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many reputable coin dealers with B&M stores will gladly do business online. Many are on this forum. I had to utilize this method as I am 150 miles from the nearest reputable dealer that I am aware of. I have a local dealer that I occasionally sell to but he has not added any inventory I am interested in for quite a while. Welcome to the forum and best of luck. You might also try our own BST for coin purchases. I have used it often in the past with absolutely 100% satisfaction. Lately, their seems to be a bullion and modern takeover with fewer Buffalo Nickels, Mercury dimes, and other 19th century coins.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file