Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1795 quarter

BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

Couldn’t resist purchasing this unique US coin. Heck, it isn’t even listed in the Redbook!

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

How did a half fit in a quarter hole? What is up with that?

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Struck on a quarter planchet? 😉

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it to

• Options

@MrEureka said:

Actually I think it was struck on a 20 cent piece planchet and the pressure of the strike expanded it to quarter size. 🤣

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild, I like this stuff.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options

@WinLoseWin said:

You could have just gotten the half dollar size holder instead of cutting the 1795 half down to fit in a quarter holder. :)

DUH!

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BustDMs said:

@MrEureka said:

Actually I think it was struck on a 20 cent piece planchet and the pressure of the strike expanded it to quarter size. 🤣

:D:D:D

Oh, and gotta love the sticker annotating the Overton reference on the holder!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    TitusFlaviusTitusFlavius Posts: 319 ✭✭✭

Someone couldn't wait until 1796 for a quarter, so they made their own!

"Render therfore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." Matthew 22: 21
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fascinating

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

You going to get that one slabbed? Just wondering

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopelessly damaged BUT I've always loved that bust design and it is well represented so I probably would have bought it if it was cheap enough.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

As soon as I saw that 'coin', the lyrics from 'Just walk on by'...immediately came to mind....now I will be humming that all day :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder where the rest of it is? Interesting piece for sure.

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nastiest adjustment marks I've ever seen.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the weight of this coin is and does it come close to the weight of a quarter planchet. Die steel was very expensive during the earliest years of the new mint and they didn't waste anything so it wasn't unusual for the mint to the carry over a perfectly good die and use it in the following year. Is it possible a quarter planchet in early 1796 was accidentally struck by a die carried over from the prior year?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    I wonder what the weight of this coin is and does it come close to the weight of a quarter planchet. Die steel was very expensive during the earliest years of the new mint and they didn't waste anything so it wasn't unusual for the mint to the carry over a perfectly good die and use it in the following year. Is it possible a quarter planchet in early 1796 was accidentally struck by a die carried over from the prior year?

Interesting theory which would make it super desirable. That said I think unlikely due to the tooling evident along the edge

• Options

@PerryHall said:

Nah, it was just cut down.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone double check that attribution for fun?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now if only it had a silver plug? :D

I like it either way.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 18th century Coke machine didnt take half dollars so they did what they had to do. :*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file