Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1795 Mexico 8 Reales - Possible Counterfeit?

Hi all! I stopped by my LCS earlier today and he had this 8 Reales. He wasn't entirely sure it was authentic, so I took it home to ask you guys. I have not purchased it, so please don't worry about that if it turns out to be fake. The coin appears to have some bubbling, which could indicate it being a counterfeit. However, there are quite a few die clashes evident on both sides of the coin. It weighs 27 grams. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It is a very nice coin if it's real. Thanks!

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

My Numismatics with Kenny Twitter Page

Instagram - numismatistkenny

My Numismatics with Kenny Blog Page Best viewed on a laptop or monitor.

ANA Life Member & Volunteer District Representative

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

Doing my best to introduce Young Numismatists and Young Adults into the hobby.

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks OK to me, but I am not an expert on these.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2020 3:54PM

The clashing you are observing to me is more of an indication that it is real than now.

Now, while I think it is authentic, I don’t think it is market acceptable in a problem free holder due amongst other things to the damage in the reverse.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you post the weight and images of the edge all the way around?

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2020 4:22PM

If you want an exemplar on how to present your coin for evaluation, check out @TwoKopeiki's post and make sure you scroll down to where he shows the weight and edge.

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to say without the edges.

• Options
    ksammutksammut Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

@Boosibri Yes, you're correct. The coin has been cleaned and scratched heavily, but still has nice details, if real. It would definitely grade "details", but I am keeping it raw.

@jgenn Thanks for the link!

@TwoKopeiki The coin weighs 27.0 grams and here are pictures of the edge. I always have difficulty taking pictures of the edge, but hopefully these will do.

American Numismatic Association Governor 2023 to 2025 - My posts reflect my own thoughts and are not those of the ANA.

My Numismatics with Kenny eBay Store Over 6000 listings and growing with more than 39,000 items sold

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

While others might disagree, looks fine to me. I always find difficult to counterfeit plata agria but this is not my series of expertise.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me, JMO !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    jdmernjdmern Posts: 289 ✭✭✭

Looks good to me

Justin Meunier

Boardwalk Numismatics

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks good to me, the obverse field shows signs of die rust, not counterfeit.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Thanks everyone! Even though it's cleaned and scratched, I love how much detail is still there.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I see an overlap in the last photo. You should see if there's edge design overlaps directly across from each other. Overall, looks passable. More likely authentic than not.

• Options
    jgennjgenn Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks market acceptable. That being said, the market doesn't seem to care that there are very regal looking 100 year old copies struck on open collar presses and even edged with parallel upsetting mills that can only be detected by having slightly low SG or slightly low XRF silver readings. I suspect that many of my slabbed 8 reales fall into this category. Perhaps I'll post one of my raw examples that I have had XRFed.

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2020 6:24PM

I’m not sure I’d call the reverse damaged. It looks more like a planchet void that was over struck. Although it does look like there are some scratches.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it 😊
    The clashing is bold and adds alot of interest. I agree that the main area of damage appears to be a planchet flaw. The scratches are minimal and typical. If the cleaning in hand is not harsh, it's definitely a keeper.
    No reason to spend the money to grade even if it is market acceptable...

• Options

I stopped by the shop yesterday and picked it up. The dealer had it for a very nice price and it's a great looking coin. I'll be keeping it raw in my personal collection, so thank you @jayPem.

Thanks everyone for their thoughts and all the help!