Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A good day for me, perhaps I should treat myself to a new addition to my collection.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Today I had a hearing in a civil appeal take place. The hearing unfolded and it appears from the questions and statements of the three appellate justices that they will decide the case in favor of my client. If so that will be a seven figure $ win for my client.

Tomorrow I have a motion hearing in a civil case. Today the court issued a tentative ruling on the motion in favor of my client. If the court does not change its mind tomorrow my client will chalk up another win in the mid six figures.

So do you have any suggestions about what I should treat myself to (assuming final rulings in both cases are issued in favor of my client).

Comments

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang, congrats. Fingers crossed for ya. Assuming you are getting a healthy % of those rulings, without them being appealed 10,000 times over 40 years....then that sounds good and it sounds like you might be able to afford a new toy. :)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

A 1907 High Relief $20 would be nice.

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a nice early thirties proof set with frosty cameo contrast!

If I need a lawyer I will give you a call.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

1848 CAL quarter Eagle or high relief Saint.

• Options

This POP 10/0 is up for auction if you like this sort of thing. https://www.davidlawrence.com/rare-coin/1981470

And then TDN is of course selling a few special toys in October. ;)

Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats. To the both of you!
    How bout a highly graded set of CC Morgans? PCGS graded ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Either a PR66DC 1950 or PR68DC 1959 Franklin wouldn't hurt.

Congratulations!!

• Options
    REALGATORREALGATOR Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't have a Chain Cent its one of those historical "must haves" if you can afford one.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, wait till the money is in your pocket.....

then you can think about buying a nice coin.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

With this kind of money, I suggest buying an airplane

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

A birth year dcam or two.
    Invest the rest for an earl retirement.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

A cup of Kopi Luwak coffee so you never forget.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish you success.... Not sure what you should buy, however, I am sure it will be something special in DCAM, with amazing contrast between fields and devices. Good luck, Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cuban cigar and a nice CBH.

• Options

Thanks for the replies folks.

Some suggestions are for coins that reside in a much deeper part of the hobby pool than I splash around in. I look at examples of those coins and drool.

The euphoria of yesterday has passed, today's hearing is at 3:00 p.m. PDT and the daily grind is settling back in. A new purchase will have to wait until later. Whatever I pick up will likely be something in my main collecting area; or better yet a 19th or early 20th century gold or silver MS luster bomb coin to fill a hole in my US Type Set (maybe a $10.00 Indian).

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way to go my brother, Kevin 👍👌. You da man👍
    If I were you I wouldn’t hold back. Let’er rip buddy. Buy yourself something you’ve always wanted and feel good about it too
    Congratulations my coin brother, Kevin

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 17, 2020 11:50AM

Congrats on the outcomes. If you’re into gold how about a 18th century half Eagle or Eagle? They’re not cheap but they’re not moon money and they sure are cool looking. What’s not to like about a coin with a date from the 1700’s.

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d park $2500 and wait for a shot at the 75th anniversary WW2 Gold Eagle.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to grab a four-figure bordeaux. Wine, then coins. You will remember a great bottle longer than another $2K-$5K coin.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the highest graded 1961 DDR.

• Options

Keets.

Until I submit the one I cherry picked in 2011 for grading I can view mine as the highest graded :)

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the wine and gold idea ... maybe treat yourself to a wonderful Paso Robles Cab' from the late 90's (not terribly expensive) over a worthwhile steak, and then start looking for a Capped Bust $5 in Choice to Very Choice AU?

That'd be a heck of a win-win in my book, and you could probably keep it in the four-figure range (barely).

I mean what the heck, I'm spending your money! :p

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

Update time.

Today the Court Of Appeal issued a published decision in the appeal I mentioned in my opening post to this thread.

As I expected the Court Of Appeal ruled in favor of my client. As a result a money judgment that in May, 2019 a trial court judge vacated and set aside will be reinstated (unless the other side successfully seeks further appellate review; the success rate for those seeking further appellate review is very, very low).

Assuming that the judgment is reinstated it will total about $1,200,000.00. It is also fully collectible.

Needless to say my client is very pleased, as am I.

• Options

That’s awesome, congrats! Hopefully things will wrap up sooner, rather than later, so you can go on your shopping spree! :)

• Options

Update time again.

Both sides to the case that went to the Court Of Appeal agreed to participate in a Mediation. A settlement was agreed to at the Mediation. A settlement agreement is being drafted and is likely to be signed within the week and fully performed within 15-20 days.

When that happens I am going shopping for a pretty circular piece of metal. :)

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need pics after acquisition please!!!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need a experienced financial advisor?

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you narrowed down what you'll be rewarding yourself with?

• Options

If I had to pick today I am would probably pick up a $10.00 gold Indian for my 7070 Type Set.

I have always been a big fan of this coin design and love the look of examples of this coin that are MS luster bombs.

• Options
    nagsnags Posts: 794 ✭✭✭✭

I really hope you took the cases on a contingency fee. 1.2 is really easy to divide by 3 and makes for heck of a month.

It’s funny how the decisions seem to run streaky like that.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great job for your client. Well done! Definitely get yourself some old US gold.

We should sue somebody...I could use some extra cash. 😂

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to argue with a $10 Indian. Beautiful coins.

• Options

A 1926 MS $10 Indian luster bomb would be a great coin because my father (who got me started collecting) was born that year. 1926 is apparently the second most available $10 Indian in MS grades behind the 1932; and the market price of same is not in the stratosphere.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hear you on the ten Indian. They're beautiful !
    That was the first US classic gold coin I bought when I was a kid. I had to lay-it-away with the dealer and pay on it for months. I still have the coin, it's still raw. It would only come back as a 61 or a 62 so there isn't much advantage to slabbing it.......

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your results and enjoy the shopping spree, I need a $10 Indian gold myself but will wait out the high prices before I buy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,544 ✭✭✭✭✭

Counting the chickens before they are hatched is dangerous. Even should they both win, there are appeals, and then there's always someone pe'od that does not want to pay 6 or 7 figures. Best of luck to ya. I suggest a MS68 Morgan would be in order.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file