Home U.S. Coin Forum

New So-Called Dollar Capital Plastics holders

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 15, 2020 5:19AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Combining two of my favorites, a new set of Capital Plastics holders for So-Called Dollars is available.

While I like Capital Plastics holders and just posted a set here, I was surprised to see a new set. Does anyone collect this way these days?

Here's a short quote from Jeff / @SoCalledGuy:

Jeff Shevlin said:
It is exciting to introduce a new product that will allow collectors to showcase and display their collections. There are four different holders related to my latest award-winning book So-Called Dollars from the Pacific Coast Expositions. These holders will store the official U.S. Mint medals, struck at the eight expositions, that were held on the West Coast.

Reference: https://www.coinbooks.org/v23/club_nbs_esylum_v23n24.html#article19

Comments

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Specialized holders are good for collections with a focus. That one in the shape of California will be great for display, but storage could be an issue. I thought about a custom holder for my CC series, but then I would have to take them out of GSA holders and a couple of slabs... Cheers, RickO

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

these holders are nice but are sort of restrictive in what they hold and, no doubt, once you have them you will need the medals to go into them. many collectors don't realize that Capital Plastics will custom design and manufacture any kind of holder you want.

JS has moved out of promoting Charbneau Dollars, which he did with his book, and into heavily promoting expositions and SC$'s from the West Coast. Jeff is a good man and has done fabulous things for this niche segment of our Hobby, but at his core he is a promoter and will look after his self-interests.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are pretty cool holders. I’ve never seen one in the shape of California before 😎

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Pioneer1Pioneer1 Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

@keets said:
    JS has moved out of promoting Charbneau Dollars, which he did with his book, and into heavily promoting expositions and SC$'s from the West Coast. Jeff is a good man and has done fabulous things for this niche segment of our Hobby, but at his core he is a promoter and will look after his self-interests.

I think Jeff is a good guy; I think he is trying to advance the hobby and medals/tokens/SCDs. I just wanted to clarify that. We all have to look out for our own interests... I do all the time... that doesn't make any of us bad. I just had to say that as your comment might be taken as a negative to some readers.

As for the holders, I'm not sure if I want to buy some. My own medals are in NGC/PCGS holders. I could see putting duplicates in these holders, or perhaps SCDs with some kind of unique flare... just not sure what. Maybe double-dies, error strucks, etc. Still trying to figure out a line of reasoning to buy one....

A So-Called Dollar and Slug Collector... Previously "Pioneer" on this site...

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pioneer1 said:

@keets said:

I think Jeff is a good guy; I think he is trying to advance the hobby and medals/tokens/SCDs. I just wanted to clarify that. We all have to look out for our own interests... I do all the time... that doesn't make any of us bad. I just had to say that as your comment might be taken as a negative to some readers.

Agreed. Everyone with a business must keep it a float. That goes for dealers and authors.

As for the holders, I'm not sure if I want to buy some. My own medals are in NGC/PCGS holders. I could see putting duplicates in these holders, or perhaps SCDs with some kind of unique flare... just not sure what. Maybe double-dies, error strucks, etc. Still trying to figure out a line of reasoning to buy one....

I think the holders are best who for those that collect raw or the more common medals that are just a notch below top pops, which can still look great.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file