Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Civil War Fort Sumter Medals!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 21, 2020 11:39AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a beautiful Civil War Fort Sumpter medal engraved by George Hampden Lovett and published by Augustus B. Sage. It's upcoming and I would love to get it but it would be a stretch right now as I need to recoup budget after some recent purchases.

It was struck after the surrender of the fort celebrate the return of Major Robert Anderson to New York City after the bombardment and loss of Fort Sumter which marked the beginning of the Civil War. While he considered himself a failure, he was seen as a hero:

https://www.historynet.com/robert-anderson

Robert Anderson commanded Fort Sumter during the bombardment of that fort by Confederate forces, the opening shots of the American Civil War. Forced to surrender due to lack of supplies, Anderson considered himself a failure but found he was hero upon his return to the North.

A gold version was struck Major Anderson from donations, each person receiving a bronze medal. Anyone know the whereabouts of the gold medal now? I like the text.

To Major Robert Anderson, U.S.A, from the citizens of New York City, as a slight tribute, to his patriotism.

Here's a description of the medal from Stack's indicating two at the ANS.

As with the Lovett-Sage Field medal, a single gold example of the Major Anderson-Fort Sumter medal was to be presented to its honoree. Major Anderson's medal was to be paid for by subscriptions from private citizens, which were limited to 200 at $5/subscription, each contributor to receive a bronze example of the medal. Eighty-two subscriptions were immediately forthcoming, pointing to a mintage of at least that many examples in bronze. Other specimens were struck in silver, brass and white metal, all of which are rare. Only two are known in silver: the ANS specimen and a gorgeous example ex Bushnell:1660 and Zabriskie (1999):659, purchased at that sale on a $20,000 bid. A silver electrotype appeared in our (Stack's) Ford VII Sale of January 2005, lot 524. The unique brass specimen is also in the collection of the ANS, as is a white metal impression. Bowers (1998) describes white metal examples as "very rare" and further states, "Some or possibly all may have been issued with a lightly silvered surface which over a period of time formed an amalgam with the white metal underneath, creating an irregular, matte-like surface." This is the only specimen in this fabric that we can recall handling in recent years.

Edit: thanks to @tokenpro for adding the HK-11C So-Called Dollar below :+1:

Comments

• Options

@JesseKraft Would it be possible to post photos of the ANS specimens?

• 1 of 2 silver
    • unique brass
    • white metal
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

that is a great medal. :)

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 2:13AM

This bronze specimen sold back in 2007.

https://coins.ha.com/itm/miscellaneous-medals-and-tokens/1861-maj-robert-anderson-fort-sumter-medal/a/427-82179.s

Anderson was the Union Army commander in charge of Fort Sumter when the bombardment started the Civil War. When Southern states began to secede from the Union, Anderson remained loyal to the Union cause. Anderson took the fort's 33-star flag with him to New York City, where he participated in a Union Square patriotic rally that is thought to have been the largest public gathering in North America up to that time.

The production of copper medals was limited to 200 pieces, of which 82 were ordered in the two weeks following the shelling of the fort. However, it is unknown how many more pieces were sold afterward. Proceeds from the copper pieces were used to fund the gold medal personally awarded to Anderson.

Here's one from @jonathanb:

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medal.... What a great piece of history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    JesseKraftJesseKraft Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins, Unfortunately, I can only post what we currently have imaged, which don't include those medals, until New York is in Phase Two of re-opening and I can get back to my office. When that happens, however, I'll add these to the list of objects to give attention to.

Also, very very cool medal! Good luck trying to nab it at auction! Hopefully you can post it as your own when I can post the ANS examples.

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    Resolute Americana Curator of American Numismatics
    American Numismatic Society
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).
    Become a member of the American Numismatic Society!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 7:16AM

I'm a fan of provenance / pedigrees so one thing I appreciate about the ANS is that they list the people who donated pieces to their collection, so I thought to see if there was information on who donated the ANS specimens. When I found the page for the silver specimen I was pleasantly surprised to see the text:

Sage was among the founders of A.N.S.

As it turns out, August B. Sage was a founding member of the ANS and the first meeting was held in his house!

He was also in the Union Army as a Captain in the New York Infantry Volunteers' 170th Regiment.

Anyone know his middle name?

In 1867, he wrote a series of reminiscences on the formation of the ANS for the American Journal of Numismatics and donated a few dies and catalogs.

Here are some photos.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2020 8:10PM

@JesseKraft said:
    @Zoins, Unfortunately, I can only post what we currently have imaged, which don't include those medals, until New York is in Phase Two of re-opening and I can get back to my office. When that happens, however, I'll add these to the list of objects to give attention to.

Also, very very cool medal! Good luck trying to nab it at auction! Hopefully you can post it as your own when I can post the ANS examples.

Looking forward to it!

I found the silver specimen ANS page here, but not the brass or white metal pages yet.

http://numismatics.org/collection/1956.163.1151

It also looks like he wrote a series of reminiscences on the formation of the ANS for the American Journal of Numismatics and donated a few dies and catalogs in 1867. It would be great to read and see photos of those as well!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous!

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2020 6:36PM

@Zoins said:
    I'm a fan of provenance / pedigrees so one thing I appreciate about the ANS is that they list the people who donated pieces to their collection, so I thought to see if there was information on who donated the ANS specimens. When I found the page for the silver specimen I was pleasantly surprised to see the text:

As it turns out, August B. Sage was a founding member of the ANS and the first meeting was held in his house!

He was also in the Union Army as a Captain in the New York Infantry Volunteers' 170th Regiment.

In 1867, he wrote a series of reminiscences on the formation of the ANS for the American Journal of Numismatics and donated a few dies and catalogs.

It still astonishes me that he was only 16 when he helped found the ANS! (Unfortunately, his life was already half-way over, as he died at 32 years of age from pneumonia). In addition to being instrumental in the founding of the Society, he also donated the very first group of coins. Here's what is considered the first:

1825 Half Cent
    American Numismatic Society, 1858.1.1

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

Member of the American Numismatic Association (ANA), British Numismatic Society (BNS), New York Numismatic Club (NYNC), Early American Copper (EAC), the Colonial Coin Collectors Club (C4), U.S. Mexican Numismatic Association (USMNA), Liberty Seated Collectors Club (LSCC), Token and Medal Society (TAMS), and life member of the Atlantic County Numismatic Society (ACNS).

• Options
    edited June 13, 2020 9:47AM

@JesseKraft said:

@Zoins said:

It still astonishes me that he was only 16 when he helped found the ANS! (Unfortunately, his life was already over, as he died at 32 years of age from pneumonia). In addition to being instrumental in the founding of the Society, he also donated the very first group of coins.

I guess it may be more appropriate to say the first ANS meeting was in his parents' house then! If he had his own house at 16, that would be even more impressive!

It's very impressive that the ANS still has records of its very first coin donation!

It's very sad that he died at such an early age. He was a prodigy by creating the August B. Sage series of medals with his name on then and, at just 19, creating / presenting this medal in gold to Major Robert Anderson. Definitely an overachiever in the area of numismatics.

I would recommend the ANS create an August B. Sage YN award if there isn't already one!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2020 2:03AM

There is only 1 silver specimen outside the ANS which is owned by Alan V. Weinberg and has an impressive provenance.

Only two are known in silver: the ANS specimen and a gorgeous example ex Bushnell:1660 and Zabriskie (1999):659, purchased at that sale on a $20,000 bid.

Silver: Bushnell, Zabriskie, Bowers, Weinberg Specimen

The following is from the NNP:

Alan V. Weinberg Collection (Civil War and Lincoln Medals)

Alan V. Weinberg comments: Engr. By Geo H. Lovett, struck by Augustus B. Sage. 1 of 2 silvers known, the other in ANS. Ex rare in brz & wht metal. Not in John J. Ford, Jr. Coll'n. Ex Chas. Bushnell coll'n 1882 Chapman auction lot 1660; Capt Andrew Zabriskie coll'n Sotheby's 1999 lot 659; Q. David Bowers coll'n. Featured as one of Bowers/Jaeger's 100 Greatest American Medals and Tokens and prominently featured in Bowers' American Numismatics Before the Civil War 1760-1860 where it's given several pages coverage. Gem proof striking with delightful toning, one of the aesthetically most impressive American medals I've seen/owned. The medal commemorates the firing of the first shots of the Civil War in the bombardment by Confederate troops on Charleston's Fort Sumter under command of the Union's Major Robt Anderson. Photographed by master numismatic photographer Tom Mulvaney tom@rarecoinphotos.com.

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

People interested in Augustus B. Sage should consult Dave Bowers' book:
    "American Numismatics Before the Civil War: 1760 – 1860: Emphasizing the Story of Augustus B. Sage"
    Sage's auction catalogs, fixed price lists, medals, and tokens are all sought-after by collectors.

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    People interested in Augustus B. Sage should consult Dave Bowers' book:
    "American Numismatics Before the Civil War: 1760 – 1860: Emphasizing the Story of Augustus B. Sage"
    Sage's auction catalogs, fixed price lists, medals, and tokens are all sought-after by collectors.

Good suggestion!

Does it mention his middle name?

• Options
    SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I quickly thumbed through my copy of the book, but could not find his middle name. Perhaps that can be ferreted out by contacting the ANS (or just ask Jesse Kraft).

Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • Options

@Sonorandesertrat said:
    I quickly thumbed through my copy of the book, but could not find his middle name. Perhaps that can be ferreted out by contacting the ANS (or just ask Jesse Kraft).

Good idea :)

@JesseKraft Any record of August B. Sage's middle name in the ANS archives?

• Options

@Zoins and @Sonorandesertrat: Augustus Benjamin Sage.

I have to tell you @Zoins, I think that a YN Award named for Sage is a GREAT idea, and I'm not just saying that either. I'm seriously thinking of writing up a proposal for it!

Jesse C. Kraft, Ph.D.
    New York City

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2020 6:48PM

As a kid I could look out over the marsh at the end of my street and see Ft. Sumter.

Souvenir from 2011 "Bombardment of Fort Sumter Sesquicentennial:

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

HK-11C

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool stuff. My sister lives in Charleston and we go look at fort Sumter every time I visit.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    edited June 13, 2020 9:27AM

@derryb said:
    As a kid I could look out over the marsh at the end of my street and see Ft. Sumter.

That's awesome! It's great to be so close to such a landmark as a kid.

As a kid, I would look out over the water at the Statue of Liberty from a window in our home. It was quite a sight at night. It's actually pretty incredible to think that was my view as a kid. I've never really had a view like that again.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, that's a great historical medal!

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I worked as Park Superintendent of Fort Sumter we had a few of these in the museum collection. If I recall, at least 85+ of the bronze were made because each man under his command at the time of the bombardment received one. I recall a Proof set ? of these also came up for auction about 3 years ago. The Park Friends group was considering bidding on it but when it hit over $2000 - they backed off .

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    When I worked as Park Superintendent of Fort Sumter we had a few of these in the museum collection. If I recall, at least 85+ of the bronze were made because each man under his command at the time of the bombardment received one. I recall a Proof set ? of these also came up for auction about 3 years ago. The Park Friends group was considering bidding on it but when it hit over $2000 - they backed off .

WS

Great info. It was a nice gesture to give one to each man who defended the fort.

Do you recall what the proof set went for? At $2000, it sounds like it would have been a steal. Perhaps the owner would consider donating it?

Do you think the Park Friends group and Park would be a good custodian for such a set?

• Options

I failed to watch the bidding because I was retired and was on the Board, but not any longer. They really did not have the resources at the time, and I thought about getting it and donating it, but likewise, I was not in a position for the purchase either. They had bought historic artifacts before and turned them over to the park.I wish I could remember the auction venue so it cold be searched but even that was too long ago.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

As requested: HK-11C. ATS - T-Top Pop, 3/0. PCGS - none graded.

• Options

Love the HK-11C @tokenpro! Very clean surfaces on that one!

Do you agree with H&K on the attribution to George Hampden Lovett?

Do you have, or have you seen, any of the political medals that share the reverse?

• Options

@WDP I just noticed that we have you to thank for the HK-11 photos in H&K.

Did you receive any in the Ostheimer collection? Would love to hear about your observation on these Fort Sumter pieces.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

This medal sold for an astounding $19,800 all in!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@Realone said:
    Nice token pro, how many SC HK-11's in copper, brass and white metal? I hear all kinds of numbers re their pops but can't seem to figure out the truth? Do you know?

I have seen a number of raw pieces over the years but I do not know which ones are now in slabs and which are still raw. I use the same ATS pops as everyone else and think that they represent the populations in very general terms. I do have some self-held observations on the HK-11 series but I am don't consider myself an expert on SCDs -- I've just handled a hell of a lot of stock in the series over the years from pigs to prime rib so I have a close familiarity with the medals.

• Options

@tokenpro said:

@Realone said:
    Nice token pro, how many SC HK-11's in copper, brass and white metal? I hear all kinds of numbers re their pops but can't seem to figure out the truth? Do you know?

I have seen a number of raw pieces over the years but I do not know which ones are now in slabs and which are still raw. I use the same ATS pops as everyone else and think that they represent the populations in very general terms. I do have some self-held observations on the HK-11 series but I am don't consider myself an expert on SCDs -- I've just handled a hell of a lot of stock in the series over the years from pigs to prime rib so I have a close familiarity with the medals.

Given how rare some of these pieces, I think it would be interesting to track the specimens for these.

• Options

@DCW said:

Pretty amazing!

Someone got a very historic medal!

• Options

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Pretty amazing!

I really did not see this medal going this high. Admittedly, I've never seen one for sale before so I based my pre auction estimate on a hunch that it would go between $4-6 grand.
    $20k plus tax seems like crazy money.
    The Zabriskie specimen in silver brought $20k in 1999, but that is considered unique

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    edited June 19, 2020 7:32PM

@DCW said:

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Pretty amazing!

I really did not see this medal going this high. Admittedly, I've never seen one for sale before so I based my pre auction estimate on a hunch that it would go between $4-6 grand.
    $20k plus tax seems like crazy money.
    The Zabriskie specimen in silver brought $20k in 1999, but that is considered unique

It's good to see Civil War medals going this high. This has a lot going for it:

• Gold Awarded to Major Robert Anderson
    • Issued immediately after Battle of Fort Sumter
    • Rare White Metal
    • Eye appeal
  • Options

@Zoins
    I agree with you. Also shows the potential in this area of the hobby.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

So did anyone in the forum family buy this?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had a chance to buy any of these pieces over almost 50 years of attending major shows and buying from leading exonumia dealers. I guess the prices realized explain why.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2020 10:29AM

@Realone said:

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Pretty amazing!

Someone obviously got carried away, more accurately at least 2 did with the winner owing Stacks big time only to be paid throughout his lifetime until the debt is paid off in full i assume lol.
    Seriously crazy, insane and i hope the winner someday recovers from his temporary insanity.
    This piece is great but is it really $19k great?

I'd like to think financial recovery for the owner will happen fast. Even if bidding prices to the moon, hopefully they aren't budget busting.

To me, the main issue is the price if it ever sells again.

• Options

Tax, shipping...this is a $21,000 piece.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

I think way too much also. But we will have to wait till the next one comes to auction to find out.

WS

• Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fort Sumter? Never heard of it. I’ll have to read up on it!

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2020 2:51PM

@Realone said:

@Zoins said:

@DCW said:

Pretty amazing!

Someone obviously got carried away, more accurately at least 2 did with the winner owing Stacks big time only to be paid throughout his lifetime until the debt is paid off in full i assume lol.
    Seriously crazy, insane and i hope the winner someday recovers from his temporary insanity.
    This piece is great but is it really $19k great?

Carried away?

@Realone said:
    Edit: and yes, t’was I.
    The medal genre needs fresh blood, i will be paying this baby off for some time to come. But i am
    worth it and i believed it was worth fighting for. Cant let Alan Weinberg own them all.
    ;)

And the winner?

Congrats! It's a beautiful and historic piece!

• Options

@Realone
    Well this is a turn of events! I gathered from your first comment that you thought the buyer was crazy to be buried in this medal. Now, you reveal that you bought it. Interesting tactic.
    But congrats for stepping up. It is lovely and historic. Glad it went to someone on the forums!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia

• Options

@AZoins

I don't agree or disagree with H&K on the Ft. Sumter die sinker but I do agree with Dave Baldwin. & his website on the Lovetts. He includes HK-11 as a GHL product and since he is my go to guy on the Lovetts, I agree as the die work does seem consistent with his other work.

I have seen a McClellan//Ft, Sumter political in the inventory of one of my friends in the APIC some time back - I do not recall what metal it was struck in but it was not silver. Was there one in the Frent auctions?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file