Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL predictions

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always fun to try to predict how the next NFL season will play out, so let's have some predictions for our next NFL season.

Comments

• Options

Ok, I think the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will make it to the Super Bowl. Yes, I said it! I believe that Tom Brady and Gronk will light a fire under that team, and we will see them in the big game.

• Options

I also predict my Carolina Panthers will look like their usual selves....

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict the Pats will be 6-10, The Bucs will make the playoffs, Cleveland will not make the playoffs, the Cowboys will make the playoffs. Super Bowl will be Dallas & Buffalo!

• Options
    JRR300JRR300 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭

It will be interesting to see how Brady does in his first year on a new team. There has to be an adjustment period of some type. I don't even think the Bucs win their own division; I believe the Saints team is loaded and will take that division. I do believe the Bucs will make the playoffs. I do expect the Eagles to make another playoff appearance this season.
    on the AFC side, how does one pick against the Chiefs with the all world QB, but I think the Steelers with a healthy Big Ben will dethrone the AFC champs and make it to the Super bowl.

• Options
    coinpalicecoinpalice Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the Vikings will win the nfc north, they are currently ranked #9 in the power rankings

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict I will not be watching because of the protests(kneeling)

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2020 5:36AM

@coolstanley said:

I'm going to wait and see how this plays out.

Since political commentary is forbidden here, i shall not offer any.

Suffice to say that Roger Goodell's recent remarks and actions have been EXTREMELY disappointing. I thought "politics" in the NFL on game day was finally out, but Goodell pulled it back in.

• Options

@coolstanley said:

I refuse to let current events stop me from enjoying what I like. They got remote controls for a reason 👍👍

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

In another thread I was hoping that COVID wouldn’t affect one of the passions I have in life. I have many as being well rounded is a key to happiness. If you are unable to continue one passion you have many to fall back on. That passion is NFL football and more specifically the Buffalo Bills. I didn’t see this latest development coming and I’m sorry to say that this may effect my enjoyment even more. IMO the NFL at this time could FU a wet dream.
    Now to predictions.
    1. Buffalo finally wins the AFC east and goes deeper in the playoffs than last year.
    2. Buffalo wins 9+ games
    3. New England wins less than 9.5
    4. SF under 10.5
    5. Dallas under 10
    6. New England’s offense is less than stellar in their first 6 games.
    7. I never can predict Tampa and won’t touch their games ever but 10 wins is a pretty lofty goal. Agree?

Since this site frowns on odds and the like you can see my meaning. I did to well in predicting last year and the only one I missed on was Buffalo winning the division last year. Barely.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to be downer, but I hope that there is a season. This disgusting virus is not showing any signs of really going away.

If there is a season, it will be interesting to see how Brady does. He will have some very good receivers, which he didn’t have last year, and the Tampa team had enough defense to contend last year. I am rooting for him.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinpalice said:
    I think the Vikings will win the nfc north, they are currently ranked #9 in the power rankings

Nice to see some hope for the Vikings. Green Bay could be in trouble if Rogers has a hissy fit over them drafting a QB, unsure how the Foles signing will effect the Bears, the Lions look improved and the Vikings should be ok if the new WR is as good as everyone says he will be. Cook isn't going anywhere because of a change in the CBA, if he holds out, he will lose a year of service time towards unrestricted free agency. Hopefully he will use this year to prove he can finally play a full season without getting injured. Vikes still need to improve O-Line. Defense could be a lot worse, losing both starting CBs.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

>

Nice to see some hope for the Vikings. Green Bay could be in trouble if Rogers has a hissy fit over them drafting a QB, unsure how the Foles signing will effect the Bears, the Lions look improved and the Vikings should be ok if the new WR is as good as everyone says he will be. Cook isn't going anywhere because of a change in the CBA, if he holds out, he will lose a year of service time towards unrestricted free agency. Hopefully he will use this year to prove he can finally play a full season without getting injured. Vikes still need to improve O-Line. Defense could be a lot worse, losing both starting CBs.

I'm not that sold on the Vikes only because they appear to be losing their best pass rusher and they have taken a big hit in the secondary. Less pass rush means more pressure on the D backs. After watching what happened in the Eagles secondary last year, I just don't have confidence when they will go against some good QB's, and there are two in their own division. It would mean more pressure on the offense to either score more points or have better ball control in terms of time of possession.

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

>

I'm not that sold on the Vikes only because they appear to be losing their best pass rusher and they have taken a big hit in the secondary. Less pass rush means more pressure on the D backs. After watching what happened in the Eagles secondary last year, I just don't have confidence when they will go against some good QB's, and there are two in their own division. It would mean more pressure on the offense to either score more points or have better ball control in terms of time of possession.

I see your point (I mentioned the defense in my post) their best pass rusher is Danielle Hunter, but Griffen was still pretty good, both as a pass rusher and at the running game.

I didn't think Rhodes was as bad as they were saying, he was up against the best receiver all the time and still did well. Waynes was pretty good too.

Hoping (for about the 5th year now) offensive line can improve and offense can get better "enough" to make up for what looks to be a probably "worser" defense

Salary cap makes it impossible to keep all your good players.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

I predict I will watch just as much as the past few years, a few random downs if I happen to be somewhere where a game is on. I get so much more accomplished on the weekends during football season now.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

I see your point (I mentioned the defense in my post) their best pass rusher is Danielle Hunter, but Griffen was still pretty good, both as a pass rusher and at the running game.

I didn't think Rhodes was as bad as they were saying, he was up against the best receiver all the time and still did well. Waynes was pretty good too.

Hoping (for about the 5th year now) offensive line can improve and offense can get better "enough" to make up for what looks to be a probably "worser" defense

I thought their corners were a little above average last year; didn't understand the move letting both go. It's a shame they haven't been able to get the O-line handled. Tried for several years but they just seem to stay about the same.
    Just judging in comparison to the Eagles, it's just a good feeling to know that the guys up front and, barring injury, will be solid enough to give your QB a chance to make plays, and to be able to run the ball with consistency.
    You're right about the cap. Putting a roster today is like a jigsaw puzzle....you can try to put the pieces in spots that they look like they belong, but there's probably just one way where they will get the desired result.
    If there is football, I wish the Vikes good luck. The only other team in that division I'd like to see win are the Lions; I do feel for Stafford as he has never had much help around him. He is a solid QB who flies under the radar because his teams are never much good. From what I've seen of Patricia, I don't think he's the answer as their head coach

• Options

@JRR300 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I thought their corners were a little above average last year; didn't understand the move letting both go. It's a shame they haven't been able to get the O-line handled. Tried for several years but they just seem to stay about the same.
    Just judging in comparison to the Eagles, it's just a good feeling to know that the guys up front and, barring injury, will be solid enough to give your QB a chance to make plays, and to be able to run the ball with consistency.
    You're right about the cap. Putting a roster today is like a jigsaw puzzle....you can try to put the pieces in spots that they look like they belong, but there's probably just one way where they will get the desired result.
    If there is football, I wish the Vikes good luck. The only other team in that division I'd like to see win are the Lions; I do feel for Stafford as he has never had much help around him. He is a solid QB who flies under the radar because his teams are never much good. From what I've seen of Patricia, I don't think he's the answer as their head coach

Waynes got a huge contract and Rhodes was making a lot as well. Salary cap casualties.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Anyone thing Cam Newton will be a major impact to NE?

While I don't think Cleveland will win the division I do believe they will win a Wild Card spot ahead of both Pittsburgh and that team in northern KY.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

I expect fan attendance at NFL games will be substantially lower for the 2020 season due to Covid19; and due to politics/social issues becoming an ever increasing part of the sport (all sports actually).

I also expect that viewership/listenership of NFL games on TV and other platforms will be lower for the 2020 season due to politics/social issues becoming an ever increasing part of the sport (all sports actually).

Sports has been a place where one could go to for a few hours to escape the drudgery and mundane realities of life. As time has gone by it seems that the appeal of a "sports escape" for a few hours has lessened, in large part because non sports stuff is being injected into sports.

Since most sports have been closed down since mid March I find that I have not missed it all that much. Plenty of other things to do, many of which do not require that one be "plugged in". For example over this past weekend I took three hour bike rides on Saturday and on Sunday. Fresh air, nice weather, sunshine and exercise. Very enjoyable.

• Options

@DMasci said:
    Anyone thing Cam Newton will be a major impact to NE?

While I don't think Cleveland will win the division I do believe they will win a Wild Card spot ahead of both Pittsburgh and that team in northern KY.

I say my beloved Pats go 5-11. Changing of the guard in the AFC East, Bills will win the division. As far as the Browns I think they miss the playoffs again

• Options

Even with all the distractions that will happen pre game I predict this season will be the most watched in history. We need the NFL. We need them on that wall. You want them on that wall.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadly I think that Covet 19 will end the season early, if it starts at all.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@SanctionII said:
    I expect fan attendance at NFL games will be substantially lower for the 2020 season due to Covid19; and due to politics/social issues becoming an ever increasing part of the sport (all sports actually).

I also expect that viewership/listenership of NFL games on TV and other platforms will be lower for the 2020 season due to politics/social issues becoming an ever increasing part of the sport (all sports actually).

Sports has been a place where one could go to for a few hours to escape the drudgery and mundane realities of life. As time has gone by it seems that the appeal of a "sports escape" for a few hours has lessened, in large part because non sports stuff is being injected into sports.

Since most sports have been closed down since mid March I find that I have not missed it all that much. Plenty of other things to do, many of which do not require that one be "plugged in". For example over this past weekend I took three hour bike rides on Saturday and on Sunday. Fresh air, nice weather, sunshine and exercise. Very enjoyable.

Exactly right, sports is NOT supposed to be political.

Sadly, Roger Goodell is taking the NFL in a political direction that is repugnant to many NFL fans.

Roger Goodell needs to be dismissed. Let's get back to football, and only football, the way it should be.

• Options
    DMasciDMasci Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Any prediction as to what Washington is going to do? I think they will have to go with the money and change the name of the team. It happened to my college and sadly it will happen here too imho. Same with the Tribe in Cleveland they are considering changing their name as well.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Cleveland Browns will have a record of 10-4, being picked by many as the odds-on-favorite in the upcoming Playoffs when COVID-19 has a resurgence and the season in cancelled in early December.

• Options

@DMasci said:
    Any prediction as to what Washington is going to do? I think they will have to go with the money and change the name of the team. It happened to my college and sadly it will happen here too imho. Same with the Tribe in Cleveland they are considering changing their name as well.

It’s an embattled topic, one that the mods clearly don’t want us discussing here.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@DMasci said:

It’s an embattled topic, one that the mods clearly don’t want us discussing here.

Yep, poofing that one thread was a warning shot over the bow by the mods.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

guaranteed to come true prediction: all the posturing by the NFL shall see me not watching any of it.

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 5, 2020 6:17PM

I predict Goff will be benched.

The Rams will get some guy stocking shelves to play QB, and they will win the SB.

• Options

NE with Cam went from 9 to 9.5 wins in Vegas. That’s a no brainer for me. Not a chance NE wins 10 games with Cam or Stedham.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    80sRockNut80sRockNut Posts: 67 ✭✭

Barring Patrick Mahomes or Lamar Jackson getting hurt, the Chiefs and Ravens meet in the AFC championship game. The winner of that game wins the Super Bowl. Feels like the Cowboys and 49ers in the early 90's!

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Cam Newton will have a very good year with the Patriots.

Tom Brady wasn’t great last year. He was great every year before that but time suggests it is unlikely his skills improve.

They’ll tailor the system to Cam, they’re pretty well equipped to have a dynamic rushing attack and the defense and coaching will still be solid. Carolina needed the change and so did Cam Newton. But I think Bill gets a great season out of a very talented guy. It won’t look like the Patriots have in the past with Tom Brady; though maybe in some ways similar to Matt Cassell, Jimmy Garrapolo and Jacoby Brissett; who combined to got 13-7ish the few times when Brady was inactive the last 20 years.

I may be the only one but I don’t think it wise to go betting against the Patriots in 2020.

As for Brady, great landing spot. Still, you’ve got your hands full in that division with Carolina, Atlanta and New Orleans.

But I really don’t think they play pro sports in 2020. Or at least, don’t finish seasons.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium Tim, I like your analogy but if Brady can’t get it done with that receiving corps I’m not thinking Newton will fare much better but we shall see ( Hopefully)

• Options

I still don’t see the Patriots winning 10 games. We’ll see how close I get to a 6-10 prediction

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    I still don’t see the Patriots winning 10 games. We’ll see how close I get to a 6-10 prediction

I’m with you Joe

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

The multiple anthems will take longer than a quarter. Cut the game down to 3 with no half time.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

As much as I enjoy football, it's gonna be very hard to watch the Patriot's (my team), with clown show at the helm.
    I predict the New England fans will eat his lunch IF he gets going with poor play, inept play and his outrageous circus-like attire on or off the field. They might go 6-6...and, I predict the wheels are already turning to get rid of him. I think Patriot's management had to fill the position, and clowny is just a fill-in...he's gone for the 21 season. Is Edelman posturing in the background to get back with the rat pack of Brady/Gronk/Edelman? I would. The whole thing was like Ted Williams not getting a decent contract in his last couple of years, then said "adios, I'm off to the Yankees" :/:/

Brady? Well, Tom is Tom...I think he got miffed that they didn't pony up the coin to appease him, so he headed for the warmest climate he could find. Winters in New England can be brutal, I've lived my share, and as any observers of games in Gillette stadium have seen, it's nasty stuff. I can't help but to think Tom's kids wanted a beach like lifestyle, with Busch Gardens and Disney, Universal, etc so nearby, it was a win-win for Tom. I think he'll do ok, but no winnah winnah chicken dinnah for Terrific Tom. He's got zillions, I doubt he cares about much.

I haven't followed football much, and have no predictions other than that. I will say that I expect stevek (who has apparently decided to pass on representing the Boards at the hot dog choke-a-thon), will post his normal babble about his Eagles. It was kinda sad to see Dimeman get the Hester Prynne award, so that pretty much nuked the Cowboys banter with stevek. One does wonder what Paul will do to reliate for posting such a pic of his idea of what Paul's physique looks like. Shame, shame.

The multiple anthems? Don't get me started.

• Options
    W.C.Fields
  • Options

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29495469/cowboys-demarcus-lawrence-debating-whether-report-training-camp?platform=amp I love how Lawrence is suggesting that he is a “Pawn” to the owners when it comes to money yet that is a concern of his if he sits out. Well bud you can’t have it both ways, does he think he should get paid to sit out?

• Options

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/20/antonio-brown-says-hes-retiring/amp/ I predict we haven’t heard the last from this guy 😂