Home U.S. Coin Forum

Non-collector, seemingly nice coin

Hello out there.
I’ve got a 1916-s St. Gauden $20 gold coin that my dad gave me years ago.

In comparison with some of the MS66’s I’ve seen posted online - it seems to be in very nice condition (to these untrained eyes).
So far, I’ve asked an Online auctioneer for some feedback on what it could be worth and was basically shrugged off, saying it was bullion, and that I should go to a local pawn shop.
Not really interested in selling it but Ian interested in how it measures up!

I also understand that to get it officially appraised Id probably need to send it away in the mail, which I’m not so comfortable doing.

Any insight, or stabs at a rating based on your expertise would be much appreciated.
I hope the coin is something to appreciate too. I’m not a collector, but it is beautiful!

Hopefully the photos upload as intended!
Thanks in advance!

Tagged:

Comments

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to CU. Our host PCGS, has info on that coin including images of graded coins. Also use the Google with keywords to find more info. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 2:27PM

Welcome

yours does appear to be genuine and uncirculated which is great. MS66 is a tough grade. It basically means that not only is it as-made but one of the better made examples in as-made condition. Condition being a combination of characteristics such as luster, surface preservation, patina and strike details.

Long story short; I place your coin at the MS63ish level (keep in mind it can be hard to grade off photos). I would recommend getting it graded as not only does that establish price but it protects the coin so you can save it for the future.

When graded it is a $2k coin retail, without certification it does trade closer to the gold coin scale that is very tied to bullion (but greater)

Nice coin

• matt_dacmatt_dac Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors submit coins through the mail to our hosts worth $10k+, so don’t worry about that. The only way to know for sure would be to submit for the grade.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send it in for grading. Some day you or someone will want to sell it and with all the fakes out there...plus, I believe it's a slightly better date if it's given a 63.

• astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome and nice Double Eagle!

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ms-61 and not worth much more than gold price at this point, but if you want it holdered, have at it

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

First, welcome!

Next, as said already, those are really good pictures for a non-coin newcomer, for sure. And that's a nice looking coin. Your Dad had a good eye.

IMO @BryceM makes very good points, all the way around. Worth reading twice in your case, because everything absolutely seems to apply.

I would also agree with @MFeld and @TomB in their assessment of grade, I would be hard pressed to see this coin going beyond MS64, with a 62 to 63 most probable (based on my ability to read the pictures).

Good luck whatever you do!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • As stated earlier, too many marks to be anything above MS 63. Worth more than bullion, but grading expenses, shipping, etc. will eat up most of the premium above spot.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's nice! 63

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! Your coin looks nice and original although with the marks would probably grade around 62 as others have said. That it was a gift from your Dad makes it priceless! I would at least put it in a hard plastic holder that snaps together to protect the surfaces.
    I remember back in the 70s my Dad showed me a Saint that he had bought; it was beautiful. He sold it not too long after for a small profit. What I wouldn't give now for that coin!

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks about MS62 from the photos. I probably wouldn't bother slabbing it, but if you plan to hold onto it long term as a keepsake, it might make sense to do so for protection. Or just put it in a flip so you can handle it from time to time.

• mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

62 to me

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ebodonicus .... Welcome aboard. That is a nice gold coin.... I agree with MS62 grade.... I support the idea of putting it in an airtite plastic container for protection - gold coins are easily scratched/damaged. As a family heirloom, having it slabbed by a TPG is not really necessary - If you were planning on selling it, I would then recommend having it graded/slabbed. Cheers, RickO

• roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2020 8:35AM

Almost no price spread from 61 to 63, even on this date....only about $25. And even up to 64 it's only a $50 difference from 61 to 64. The price of gold has swallowed up most of the date premiums on all but the scarcest of $20's. The cost of grading and shipping will eliminate any premium to a 61 that this coin already has. Put it in a proper coin envelope and cherish the memories. Nothing wrong with having a little bit of gold around as an emergency fund. And in no way is this a 65 or 66.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

62-63 here. Nice looking coin, but as others have said there are a lot of them out there, but only one from your dad.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! My dad give me a steer. 😂

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kiyote said:
    Nice coin! My dad give me a steer. 😂

Well, at least you can eat the steer. OTOH, you can carry the gold in your pocket.
    everything's a trade off!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

63, good luck !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Thanks again all for the nice welcome and for sharing the expertise - nothing quite like asking. A question to a group of enthusiasts! Great, helpful answers.
    May post some more coins soon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file