Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Open a sealed 1955 box proof set

RarityRarity Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭✭

I bought this set two years ago in Ebay, paid $145 including shipping, and opened it recently. Based on stapler marks on the vinyl pockets, I think the box was resealed. If the coins were originally stapled and placed in the box by US mint employee, there should not be extra stapler marks. Am I wrong to make this assumption?

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those plastic bags look awfully new, don't you think?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would seem so

• Options

@MasonG said:
    Those plastic bags look awfully new, don't you think?

Yes the plastic bags are pretty new. I don't have a second 1955 box set to compare. My already opened 1953 set has different type of plastic bags and rusty staple.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    All indications point to that being a resealed 1955 proof set.

Agree with you

• Options

@dpoole said:
    The original 1955 staples would have rusted badly (perhaps accounting for someone's repackaging them somewhere along the line). Doesn't look like original Mint packaging.

Thanks for your analysis/opinion.

• Options

@MasonG said:
    I believe the original envelopes were a cellophane type material that became brittle as it aged.

Yes my 1953 set has this cellophane type pockets, feel brittle, and the staple is very rusty ...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have resisted buying any of these "sealed" type of items and this is why. I always need to know what the heck I am buying.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

:o

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

definite re-packaged set to bad for the Half Dollar I don't like the look of whatever is on it (Toning Spots?) they used a more like Cellophane envelope in the Original Sets.

• Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that it doesn't look like a truly unopened set. The envelopes look too new, but are of the correct variety. By my experience, the mint switched from the brittle cellophane to this type of polyurethane at some point during 1954. The toning on that set tells me they have either been in similar polyurethane packaging originally, or the set has been in this packaging for quite awhile.

That being said, for not having received what you anticipated in the form of an original unopened set, overall you got a pretty nice looking one.

Of the hundreds of proof sets I've purchased, I've never purchased a sealed set...I much prefer being able to see the coins before purchasing them.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about 1955, since mine is a flat pack.

However, my 1954 proof set pockets aren't vinyl. Mine is some type of cellophane.

My 1954 set was already opened, and in the original box and packaging when I bought it. I think mine is original, but who knows.

Anywho, here is the picture of the 1954 set that I have.

The staple which is pictured with the cellophane, has rust in the middle of it. I took the coins, and stored them in a Capitol holder, and kept the packaging.

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another item NOT to buy on eBay.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

just for clarification, sometime during 1954 the Mint switched from cello pouches to polybags. the staples wouldn't necessarily be rusted if stored properly but the holes are suspicious.

what would have helped more than the interior of the set is the exterior of the box. there should have been a small, subtle pull tab on the bottom of the tape and the boxes are usually taped in both directions so that all four sides are sealed.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2020 9:17PM

Anybody around here old enough to remember "grab-bags?" Buy the brown paper bag for 25¢ without knowing what's inside? A SUPRISE INSIDE!
    I figured out the scam when I was about seven years old. Some people take longer.

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

:D

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way that is original packaging or staples from 65 years ago. Expensive lesson learned. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:
    I believe the original envelopes were a cellophane type material that became brittle as it aged.

The 1955 box sets were in sleeves that were plastic as you see here. About half of the 1954 sets had the cellophane sleeves and the other half were this type of plastic. It has been my observation that the cellophane sleeves preserved the sets much more effectively.

The silver coins have the black toning that you frequently see on these sets. The set may have been opened and re-sealed, but aside from that, it looks original to me.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@MasonG said:

The 1955 box sets were in sleeves that were plastic as you see here. About half of the 1954 sets had the cellophane sleeves and the other half were this type of plastic.

Thanks for the info. The newest boxed set I have is from 1954, and it was the cellophane version. Do you think the plastic sleeves in the pictures above look like they're nearly 70 years old?

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does the obverse of the cent look like?

The obverse and reverse of the quarter look like they are frosted, as does the reverse of the cent.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse of the Franklin looks like some sort of environmental exposure maybe?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CoinHoarder said:
    Not sure about 1955, since mine is a flat pack.

However, my 1954 proof set pockets aren't vinyl. Mine is some type of cellophane.

My 1954 set was already opened, and in the original box and packaging when I bought it. I think mine is original, but who knows.

Anywho, here is the picture of the 1954 set that I have.

The staple which is pictured with the cellophane, has rust in the middle of it. I took the coins, and stored them in a Capitol holder, and kept the packaging.

Good that you saved the packaging for future comparison reasons.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I view with suspicion all advertised 'unopened' sets or rolls of coins. I have purchased unopened GSA CC Morgans...those from a respected and trusted forum member years ago (Late 1990's, early 2000's). These were truly unopened at the time. Of course I opened them...I purchased them to add to my collection, so I had to see them. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ParkieCollectorParkieCollector Posts: 96 ✭✭
    edited June 1, 2020 10:50AM

Oh yeah that staple should be rusty.! PR GENUINE - Staple altered

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you remember who the seller was? Are they still active?

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file