Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP 1823 50c ... regular 3, Or something other?

ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 30, 2020 5:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I recently picked up this 1823 capped Bust half dollar. GTG if you’d like. I know it’s not the ugly 3, or the patched 3, and it doesn’t look like the broken 3. Was there a transition from the normal 3 to the broken 3? The 3 on mine just looks different than the normal 3. Maybe I’m just mistaken, it is Saturday night around here. Let me know what you think. Thanks. :)

First And third photos are TV, Second photo is mine. Third from CoinFacts.

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 6:30PM

To me ... looks like a Normal 3 that took a hit or possibly didn't strike up (a little grease in the die even)

Oh ... as for grade ... looks close to Unc ... but I'll wag it's either a high end 55 or a 58?

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I'll guess 62 for the grade.

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pursuitofliberty that sounds right. The more that I look, a weak strike and/or grease in the die makes sense.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ThreeCentSilverFL said:
    @pursuitofliberty that sounds right. The more that I look, a weak strike and/or grease in the die makes sense.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

Wonder if it's just an extreme "mechanical doubling"? Look at the top of the 2 as well. Just a thought....

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly something amiss there... and it does not look like a hit to me...The middle point of the 3 is very similar to the ugly three... with the back hump missing....Might want to have the experts review this...Could be another variety. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file