Home U.S. Coin Forum

My PCGS MS66 Buffalo Nickel Set (Updated 2-18-24)

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2024 11:37AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Have been working on this for a while - Bill Shamhart got me interested in it. He had both PCGS and NGC 1938-D Buffalo nickels graded MS66 in a box he had been collecting and I bought it at a Vegas show. Since the toughest coin is either the white rattler or the NGC black, I decided to pursue only PCGS since there wasn't a Gen. 1.0 NGC holder.

As of 5-10-21, the MS66 pop is 32,252 with 2934 finer. :D The highest grade is 68+, pop 3.

I'm using the Condor101 numbering system for generations - Sorry - just used to it!

Gen. 1.0 and 1.1 - still no MS66 known in a 1.1 holder.

Gen. 1.2, the old green rattler.

Gen. 2.0, the 2 piece holder, no PCGS at the top.

Gen. 2.5, PCGS now at the top.

Gen. 3.0, the Doily.

Gen. 3.5, similar to Gen. 2.5, now with coin number shifted to the left of the barcode left margin.

Gen. 4.0, the coin number to the left of the bar code, 2 piece holder, PCGS lower right in the field rather than on the edge.

Gen. 5.0, OGH with the small numbers above the bar code.

Gen. 6.0 - None seen to date - the Gen 6.0 isn't really a generation after all - it was a simple appearing blue label for coins that didn't have an established coin number at the time of slabbing.

Gen. 7.0 - 1st of the blue label holders, coin Number and series added to the front, bar code on reverse.

Gen. 8.0, bar code added to the front, old square PNG logo on reverse.

Gen. 8.1 - newer style hologram sticker.

Gen. 8.2, different hologram, CLCT below the coin.

Gen. 9.0, front of label simplified, less busy. Space between : and CLCT on hologram.

Gen. 9.1, space no longer between : and CLCT.

Gen. 10 - still looking for one.

Gen. 11, front label changes with blue at top, white at bottom. Comes with and w/o the gold shield.

These are still Gen. 11 but with the double holder without and with the gold shield. Thought it would be fun to have at least 1 generation with the double holders AND the D/D and D/S varieties.

Gen. 11.1 - different reverse label that was used for gen. 12 but with an older style hologram instead of the Dupont hologram.

Gen. 12, several changes to the holder, the most obvious the reverse Dupont hologram.

Gen. 12.1 - use of the older hologram.

Gen. 13, holder revised again with different hologram, QRS code on reverse. What follows was copied from my PCGS Generations thread.
In Mid-May 2015 Don Willis announced a new style of PCGS slab. New features announce by him include:
1. The bottom of the holder fits into the top with a complete weld - the slab is slightly thicker as a result.
2. The holder is sturdy enough that it needs to be destroyed to remove the coin - decreased chance of reuse.
3. The plastic is reformulated - clear and scratch resistant.
4. New reverse hologram baked into the plastic- no tearing off like the old Dupont hologram.
5. Plastic "tagged" with a detectible component that can help differentiate real from counterfeit PCGS holders.
Note the lack of the "studs" through the label compared with Gen. 12.0
BlueCC was the first to post the new holder on the PCGS forum 5-22-15

Gen. 13.1 - Similar to 13.0 but missing the QRS code on the reverse.

Gen. 13.2 - Addition of the gold shield to the reverse. I was unaware of the change until Sandman70gt pointed it out to me. I had thought that it was used only if submitted for secure service with a gold shield on the obverse but Sandman70gt noted that he received one with a routine submission April 2019. He thinks its a change in the PCGS logo in general and that may be the case.

Gen. 13.3 - Gold shield with the chip symbol on the reverse. Have chosen to keep it as part of Gen. 13 as the obverse hasn't changed although the technology has. It's basically a Gen. 13 slab with an extra fee paid for the chip and gold shield obverse.

Gen. 13.4 - the chip symbol has been added to the front lower left corner, in the plastic.

Other related holders:

PCGS offered retro holders to commemorate the old white, green, doily and blue holders.

Another retro holder offered for PCGS's 30th Anniversary.

A commercial piece that doesn't fit in any generation but fits well here.

While it's fun to keep up with the different holders that PCGS comes up with, it is a PITA to pay more for the reholder than the coin is worth after shipping, handling, etc. :D This label issued in 2021 for the 35th year in business for PCGS.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's just very cool.

• CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Nice set!

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW. Very nice. How long did it take to complete ?

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought the set from Shamhart in Dec. 2012 - it will never be complete so long as PCGS stays in business! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

Great looking set love that you have mostly all the generation slabs, What an accomplishment, keep up the Good Work, love to see and read about the Buffalo series

• koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's an interesting pursuit and a helluva accomplishment!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2020 6:12PM

Beautiful set.

• DRUNNERDRUNNER Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wish I had a Black for you . . . . . .

Drunner

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

VERY, VERY COOL! B)

But, I always thought that the Doily was the 2.0 and the 2-piece, no-PCGS at top was the 2.1....

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a really cool chronology, thanks for posting.

• MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bravo!

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice - although they are all the same grade, which coin do you like best?

Coins?? What coins?? :D

The 9.0 - photo's taken to highlight the plastic and holograms but it has subtle, pretty blue highlights on both sides.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set. Thanks for sharing it. B)

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome and a good mix of slobs to

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally cool set!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Impressive.... I had no idea that there were so many 'generations'....I like the consistency in the grade (MS66) all the way through....I have a couple of Buffs in that grade... have no idea what generation slab they are...perhaps I will pull them out and see if I can identify them...Cheers, RickO

• TriPodBuffaloTriPodBuffalo Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

MS66 Buffalos are a thing of beauty. That is a very nice set. Well done!

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done thanks for sharing.

Many happy BST transactions
  • joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool Set in any grade, but I see you stuck with all 66's. Nice. Valuable esp. in that 66 grade. B)<3B)
    Love the D/S the best.

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • RarityRarity Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coins.

A long time ago, I saw a breathtakingly beautiful 1938-D nickel in 2x2 flip/insert in a local coin shop. It was so beautiful that I just stopped and looked at it for almost to eternity. My heart told me to just ask for a price and buy the coin but I was afraid that the asking price would be so high that I would not be able to afford. As a result, I bought a 1955 proof set in envelop and left. I went home and wondering for a long time would I be seeing a coin as nice or nicer ever in the future.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set there.

This thread's a great resource for generation holders.
    Bookmarked.

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done. A lot of hours of searching invested here. I like your holder set.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice coins and set. i would love to look through all of those!

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very neat set! And that is a lot of nice looking Buff's. :)

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

WoW !!! ... quite a search and accomplishment ... congratulations !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's fun!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool! B)

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, pretty cool!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool idea, nice looking results!

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you give more info on the missing gen 10 holder? Maybe we could help you find it.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2020 5:15PM

Thanks for posting this amazing collection of PCGS history. Obviously you have done a masterful job of collecting the holders........and the coins too.

Makes me wonder why PCGS does not have any Registry sets based upon their holders.

OINK

Catbert - it's been amazing that there are so many 38-D Buff's in 66 and to find one in the Gen. 10 is so hard.

It probably is that it's a generation that required a gold shield submission and it was just too expensive to submit a $50-60 dollar coin under that service. I might have to "break the mold" and look for a 67 or 68. :D

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very very cool!

Have updated Gen. 13 with 2 new slabs and took better pics of the reverse of several generations that were poorly illustrated.

Added Gen. 13.4 today, if anyone is interested..... :D

Added a 35th Anniversary label, if anyone is interested.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is sure a lot of MS 66 buffs.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love this set. Another great example of creative collecting.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just when you thought you've seen everything. Very nice!

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat concept set - never thought of that!

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file