Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

so you tell me

WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is an Ebay coin that lists for a PCGS price of 70.00
The seller states that the coin is "EXTREMELY SCARCE 1964 PROOF DDR! ONLY A FEW KNOWN!!!"
yet when you look at PCGS listings there are 4,618 in this grade and 2360 in a higher population.
Current bid: 187.50 with 41 bids.
Who is kidding who. An hour and 17 minutes left to bid on. So if you want it, hurry up and place your bid.
Would you buy this coin?
see: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-DOUBLED-DIE-REVERSE-DDR-Kennedy-Half-Dollar-PCGS-PR68-PROOF-R11-8461/392809635798?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
look at the bidders
I still have that bridge in NY with a beautiful view and with tool booth income for sale. LOL

Kennedys are my quest...

Comments

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller listed a coin with a 99 cent opening bid. 10 different bidders have bid it up to the current level, while the seller currently has another one for sale, fixed price, for $132. So... I'll tell you- some buyers aren't very good at figuring the current value of the coins they bid on. Nothing unusual to see here, IMO.

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

While labeled by PCGS as a minor variety, some choose to collect every ddo, rpm for the series. We have a forum member who collects every known variety of the Jefferson nickel series and is most knowledgeable about that series. If this minor ddo is hard to find, two or more collectors may bid it up. At the end of the day, it's their money.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I recall, "Minor Variety" means that it is in fact a variety but NOT a variety that PCGS deems to be significant enough to include in a PCGS Variety Registry Set.

Example: 1936 10c DDO...there are 8 different ones but only one is accepted into the variety registry set....making the other 7 worth um well, not much of a premium.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

41 bids on this coin...fools and their money are soon parted> @bolivarshagnasty said:

While labeled by PCGS as a minor variety, some choose to collect every ddo, rpm for the series. We have a forum member who collects every known variety of the Jefferson nickel series and is most knowledgeable about that series. If this minor ddo is hard to find, two or more collectors may bid it up. At the end of the day, it's their money.

there are 7,248 coins in this grade or higher. seems extremely rare to the seller. I can't wait to see the relisting some days from now down the line.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    MizzouMizzou Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭

I don't collect Kennedy halves so I really don't know if that's as rare as he seems to think it is. However, I have some coins in my registry sets that took literally years to come up at auction and I had to bid high in order to acquire them. The PCGS price guide values some of those coins at 1/3 of what I actually paid for them.

It's not always black and white, sometimes there's a grey area.

Sometimes I think that animals are smarter than humans, animals would never allow the dumbest one to lead the pack

• Options

@Mizzou said:
    I don't collect Kennedy halves so I really don't know if that's as rare as he seems to think it is. However, I have some coins in my registry sets that took literally years to come up at auction and I had to bid high in order to acquire them. The PCGS price guide values some of those coins at 1/3 of what I actually paid for them.

there are 7,248 coins in this grade or higher. seems extremely rare to the seller. I can't wait to see the relisting some days from now down the line.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@Mizzou said:

Minor Varieties are lumped into the group of NON-VARIETIES for the date. There are not 7,248 of this specific minor variety in the population. So, it may be scarce/tough to find etc for a minor variety but it still doesn't change the fact that it is not accepted into the PCGS Variety registry except for in the non-variety slot.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@Mizzou said:

There may be 7,248 of these but I think there are very few with this variety. ( Dont quote me cause I do not collect Kennedy’s ). He is calling this a R-11 rarity not sure what his source is but maybe a real collector who collect these can give good input.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

What @keyman64 said!

• Options

@Mizzou said:

See
    MasonG post above> @Gluggo said:

@WAYNEAS said:

@Mizzou said:

There may be 7,248 of these but I think there are very few with this variety. ( Dont quote me cause I do not collect Kennedy’s ). He is calling this a R-11 rarity not sure what his source is but maybe a real collector who collect these can give good input.

I have basically 16 Kennedy registry sets:10 are in the top 10, 4 are in the top 5. This coin is no way rare or hard to find. Please look at the PCGS listing on this coin on the obverse on the Ebay listing. IMHO, The description by the seller is extremely exaggerated to sell at a high return.

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing on eBay is rare.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't tell people much especially when it comes to how they spend their money. Just glad it's not me. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Nothing on eBay is rare.

... except sellers who aren't annoyed by something. :p

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay is rare.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Outhaul said:
    Nothing on eBay is rare.

99.999% of all coins aren't rare.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are also not understanding the Pop numbers. PCGS will often include minor varieties with ALL coins of the same date/type. So if your thinking there are over 6,000 of these graded, your wrong. There may only be a 12, but PCGS will not designate it.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one in the set I put together years ago... Raw....Was easy to find then. Of course, mine is not a slabbed PR68 either... The subject coin closed at $255.... Someone wanted it....Cheers, RickO

• Options

@WaterSport said:
    You are also not understanding the Pop numbers. PCGS will often include minor varieties with ALL coins of the same date/type. So if your thinking there are over 6,000 of these graded, your wrong. There may only be a 12, but PCGS will not designate it.

WS

thanks for the insight

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like any other product the buyer should do the research before pressing the buy button.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

I just did an Ebay search for this identical coin in same PCGS grade of pr68
    found 4 identical coins in pr68, 4 in pr67 and 1 in pr69
    one of the coins in the pr68 grade was listed as a buy it now or best offer for $175.00 . Same holders same seller.
    Somebody must have had bidding fever
    A little research would have saved them $ 80.00
    Thanks to all for your insight
    I hope that you find that special dream coin :) Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file