Comments

• Options

Even with the Mantle pull, it's worth much more unopened

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020 10:21AM

@TGwynnCollector said:

To who? The site surely not. They opened it up for 11k, and now the publicity.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:

@TGwynnCollector said:

Guarantee Just rip it paid waaaay less than 11k for the pack. Shareholders paid 10k to open, now they wait on the return

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

Psa has graded 13 of these series cellos so far, so now there are 12. The mod here can remove it from the population report I think.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:
    Psa has graded 13 of these series cellos so far, so now there are 12. The mod here can remove it from the population report I think.

Think it wad GAI graded.

• Options

@brad31 said:

Think it wad GAI graded.

Nope, it was PSA 7

• Options
    edited May 28, 2020 7:31PM

@jmoran19 said:

@secretstash said:

@TGwynnCollector said:

Guarantee Just rip it paid waaaay less than 11k for the pack. Shareholders paid 10k to open, now they wait on the return

He said it was worth much more unopened. I saw the pack was sold for 11k to the shareholders so that was the total price of it being opened. Doubtful it is worth that sealed...

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shareholders?? What does that even mean?? LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

https://justripit.com/equity-pack-process

• Options
    UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

The best shares I bought were VISA IPO. Unfortunately way too few, but not bad.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:

@grote15 said:

Hobby moves too fast sometimes. I just wrapped my head and participated in my first break. But now purchasing shares in a pack to where you don't even get to own a single card? And it's working? Seems like there would be waaay too much room for shenanigans here or at the very least not enough of an opinion should a card need to be regraded or submitted again for a 2nd opinion.

• Options
    edited May 29, 2020 8:34AM

Many an equity pack has ended up with them just distributing the cards to the shareholders as the grades received are crap. Before they added “points” ALOT of “shareholders” receive zip, nada, nothing for their investment as the # of cards pulled are lower than the # of shareholders. Expect the idiots to riot soon LOL

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Each person paid $275 for equity in the pack. You could just spend that same amount and maybe plus a little bit, and buy a 1960 topps mantle psa 4.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mantle gets pulled around the 1:21:45 mark for those that don't won't to scroll thru the entire video.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1678&v=A65LnGT-Ljk&feature=emb_title

• Options

@orioles93 said:
    Each person paid $275 for equity in the pack. You could just spend that same amount and maybe plus a little bit, and buy a 1960 topps mantle psa 4.

Last 2 psa 9 OC Mantles sold for 850 and 900 bucks, rut roh George

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

It will get a PSA 8. Last couple have sold for $3.5k to $5k. This means al the other cards would have to sell for $5k too if the "equity share holders" break even.

This is like playing slots in Vegas. The only winner is the house. So stupid.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if I read this right,after grading those cards that are deemed worthy get sent to everyone's favorite consignment service then the 20 to 40 shareholders eagerly await the auction's end to see what their initial investments pay off.
    What could possibly go wrong there lol.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

I am so glad I read these comments. I had no idea that this was such gamble. Must have a lot of deposable income to waste on this. Count me out.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2020 3:24PM

@ArtVandelay said:
    It will get a PSA 8. Last couple have sold for $3.5k to $5k. This means al the other cards would have to sell for $5k too if the "equity share holders" break even.

This is like playing slots in Vegas. The only winner is the house. So stupid.

The odds of this card getting a straight 8 are the same as me dating a Kardashian....... ZERO

T/B centering is 90/10 at best

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 3:14PM

I just don’t get this concept at all. 99.99% of vintage unopened in 2020 is far more expensive than the value of the contents. At least if you get a “slot” you can have fun gambling for the remote chance of a huge hit. If all you’re getting is an equal share of all proceeds, you are guaranteed to lose.

• Options

I'd rather wait and go to Vegas and gamble where at least I can drink for free.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

This piqued my interest and went to their site for a look. I can buy a randomized one card slot for a 1989 Upper Deck baseball pack for $3. I'm sorry, but just why???

I have always loved opening packs. I can't help myself. I wish I could open a 60's era pack, but this whole vintage breaks trend makes me root so hard for the unopened collectors to keep these unopened packs safe and sound.

I guess the hobby is morphing by the day, and I'm feeling like an old timer collector for the first time in my life.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I just don’t get this concept at all. 99.99% of vintage unopened in 2020 is far more expensive than the value of the contents. At least if you get a “slot” you can have fun gambling for the remote chance of a huge hit. If all you’re getting is an equal share of all proceeds, you are guaranteed to lose.

I don’t disagree with you, I wouldn’t play and I am not super educated on card sequence, series, if all cards in a pack are centered the same, etc.

BUT...

That said, I would think a pack that netted 3 ‘Perfect 10’ stars could be a solid return on investment. There’s a lot of pack collectors out there who learned the sequencing for packs over time; perhaps most famously with the 1986 Fleer Basketball packs and the ‘Jordan sequence’ (there’s more than one way, there, too). So, maybe someone knew the pack would have a Mickey in it and thought it could be well centered.

As a guy who loves the cards and various issues that depict Mickey Mantle, I know that 60T350 has NO 10s and the straight 9’s go for almost 1.5x what they paid per pack. If that series has a few other stars, it’s comes down to a gamble on centering. And if that Mickey was a 10, you’ve got a card that would knock on the door of six figures...

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chalk me up as one of the skeptics. Why would I pay a huge premium and allow someone else to rip the pack, don't get to own any of the cards, hope for the small percentage chance that we pull a money card and then pay the VIG 2x as it goes to auction (seller/buyer premium)?? Your money would be better spent dropping it all on one number on the roulette table and hoping it hits.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

So lemme see if I've got this right as an analogy.

A gambler is playing the one dollar slots, hits the jackpot, and it pays around 80 cents.

With that betting proposition, the comps had better be real good. LOL

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

I enjoy watching these kinds of videos, but had to turn off the sound, WAY irritating.

They were some beauties though.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Think I would rather save my money, buy an awesome cello pack. Then buy a great bottle of bourbon, open the bottle, open the pack, and share with you all here.

PackManInNC
  • Options
    tkerstingtkersting Posts: 136 ✭✭✭

A nice Four Roses barrel proof 10+ years and a vintage pack...sounds like a better experience

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't figure out how many shares they sell???

• Options
    edited June 1, 2020 4:20AM

@daltex said:
    I couldn't figure out how many shares they sell???

It ranges from 20-40 depending on the pack. I believe when they pulled the Jim Brown RC and Johnny Unitas in 1958 cello it was 20. This pack was 40 shares though based on the article.

• Options

Just to reiterate more simply here (and not an endorsement - at all)...

1960 Topps #350 Mickey Mantle

Population
    Gem Mint 10: 0
    Mint 9: 29

Last 3 sales of 9’s...

18+K
    20+K
    22+K

11K buy in.

Single pop PSA 10 Mantle’s typically set new records each time they are sold.

Says nothing of any other stars, obviously.

Again, not a gamble I’d be willing to make. But I can definitely see the appeal and upside of it.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

They presumably didn’t know there was a Mantle in the pack. If that is the case, I think your scenario of pulling that particular card in 9+ condition is a bit too remote to be the basis of a sound investment.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

This is what happens if you use your brain.

The problem is that most of these gamblers either don't have the ability to use that thing contained in their skull or they simply have not attempted to research the variables before throwing their money into someone else's bank account.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    They presumably didn’t know there was a Mantle in the pack. If that is the case, I think your scenario of pulling that particular card in 9+ condition is a bit too remote to be the basis of a sound investment.

I don’t think many people who participate consider it an investment as much as a rather exclusive lottery with an expensive price per ticket. Not unlike a SuperBowl box or NCAA tournament bracket.

A friend I have participated in vintage breaks with this philosophy.

Lastly, at last years National a Mantle was pulled from a 1955 Bowman cello pack (I think) and yielded a solid grade. I mention it because there were a few people who discussed that it wasn’t just good luck that yielded the card; people knew it would be inside.

Counting card sequences for searching packs dates back a long time - it wasn’t just figured out in 1980’s. And in the 80s, there were still plenty of unopened 50s product floating around the NYC Area.

• Options

I already acknowledged that purchasing a slot in a break is at least a fun shot at a huge card, if statistically unlikely to pay off.

But purchasing “equity” minimizes both the fun and the potential payoff. In the dream scenario of pulling a Mantle 9, they won’t even double their money.