Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A nicely toned Peace Dollar I aquired today. UPDATE: PCGS said Unc. details cleaned. Trueveiw added.

TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 30, 2020 2:14PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I got this toned Peace $ today from a co-worker that has a few coins and I wanted to see what others thought. I went to his house this past weekend and looked at several coins he had collected over the past 30-35 years. There was nothing of great value, but when he handed me a half roll of Peace $'s I could see that the end coin had some vibrant colors so I asked if I could open it and he said yes. Here is the only coin that I was really interested in and I was able to make a trade that both of us were happy with. I was able to capture the colors pretty close to as vibrant as they are in hand with my phone. Do you think it would grade at Pcgs or Get the dreaded Questionable color slab??? Any Ideas of grade???

Trade $'s

Comments

• Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking coin. I am a fan of the tarnish.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really interesting toning. cool coin, Dave.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice!

• Options
    snizzlesnizzle Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭

I like the look !!

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it! Please tell me that is NOT a rim ding though on the obverse just to the upper part of the I in LIBERTY.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool toning! Looks high grade MS too!

• Options
    edited May 27, 2020 5:22PM

@abcde12345 said:
    I like it! Please tell me that is NOT a rim ding though on the obverse just to the upper part of the I in LIBERTY.

Yes there is an indention there. Not super noticeable in hand. The large pic makes it look huge.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should still grade. I'd think MS65 is in your future.

• Options
    SkyManSkyMan Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice to me!

• Options

Thanks for the comments so far. Should I submit it to Pcgs or would it be a waste of money? I know that toned Peace dollars are not the norm.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin with nice toning!

• Options
    Klif50Klif50 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

Nice strike and the color looks original and pleasant. Should get a 65 from PCGS with no problems.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a winnah !

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool coin. I’d have pursued that one too.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That rim ding could be bad news.... Only way to know is to submit the coin. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice original toning! Great looking dollar!

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super nice toner.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a problem grading either here or across the street. I like it.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a winner. Definitely worth a try.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

NT and nice!

• Options
    CommencentsCommencents Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

Nice color and 65!

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it grades.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it and think 65 at PCGS.

• Options

Well I am very glad to here all the nice comments and will eventually send it to Pcgs to see what their opinion is. I thought the toning looked original as well and I know the man I got it from did not do anything to accelerate the toning process because he asked me if he should clean it off when I mentioned it.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin and looks like premium toning for a Peace Dollar! Looks at least Gem unless there are hits not apparent in the photo.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭

I would definitely send it in for grading....you will get your grading fees back many times over even If it remains in raw condition. I would say NT as well. Even with the rim ding I’m liking it.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS obverse, AU reverse. The coin must have rested against something that caused the toning over a long period of time. At the same time the reverse must have been somewhat exposed and picked up light rubbing on the high points. It probably never saw actual circulation use. I would not spend money on having a 1922 Peace Dollar slabbed.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020 6:08PM

Nice 63/64 coin. You might even get a color 1 point bump. Not good enough obverse photo to evaluate a 65 shot. I don't see it so far. MS all the way. Might be a slice or two across the cheek, well hidden under the toning. But, they don't hide from the TPG graders. PCGS will probably be stricter on this because of the color. If there was a MS65 shot in your future.... I'd go with NGC who tends to give a bonus for interesting mottled toning.......as generic pricing isn't that widely spread on these.

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    MS obverse, AU reverse. The coin must have rested against something that caused the toning over a long period of time. At the same time the reverse must have been somewhat exposed and picked up light rubbing on the high points. It probably never saw actual circulation use. I would not spend money on having a 1922 Peace Dollar slabbed.

????

The obverse, I would guess, was the end coin on a roll. The reverse, being internal to the roll didn't tone. That reverse looks UNC to me. I imagine the only thing it was exposed to was the second coin in the roll.

• Options

It was the end coin as stated in the original post. Definitely Uncirculated. If it grades 63/64 I would be totally satisfied.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do like that one👍
    Very pretty and I find the toning to look naturally done😊

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Peace, dude! More ways than one. Good Luck B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting toning. I think it to be NT but ........

The golden toning is much like that on some Peace $$ that I have owned for over 50 years. Your coin is definitely a "keeper". Worth much more than PCGS Guide value.

OINK

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super coin. The toning has a supernova explosive effect. The way the toning radiates out from just outside the bust area to just inside the rim most of the way around. To me it's just not toned, but has an extra feature of a "special effect" going for it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous piece! I would say it would definitely straight grade and that spectacular toning would bring a premium.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the obverse looked like the reverse jmo

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The toning looks natural to me. That's a gorgeous coin!

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks great.... should grade out 65/65+ with perhaps a color bump as well.
    Unless there is a problem I'm not seeing....check looks clean, fields do too. B)

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 and original. There are some larger marks, although toned over, that still stick out to me.

• Options
    jerseycat101jerseycat101 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking coin. Not only is it NT, it's also a possible 65+.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive to my eye. Knowing the story behind it make is all the more appealing. Great find!

• Options
    SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight grade. 64

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Straight grade

• Options

I just renewed my membership with PCGS at the platinum level and plan to submit this coin in an 8 coin submission as soon as I can. Thanks for all the confidence that this will straight grade somewhere between 63-65+. I will definitely reopen this thread when I get the results.

Trade $'s
  • Options

Here's the Trueveiw and it was UNC. Details/Cleaned

Trade $'s
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dang! That's too bad! :/

Still a very nice Peace. :)

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way, that can't be so.