Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Damaged Planchlet or PMD??

JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

Recently I purchased an 1892 Barber Half in an ICG MS62 holder. The listing photos were a bit vague. Looking at the coin in hand I could see toned over horizontal scratches going across the hair:

Because the scratches only go across the highest points, I'm thinking there were scratches on the planchlet prior to striking. When struck, the highest points on a coin receive the least pressure. In thin case, not squeezing out the defect. Lower areas receive more pressure; in this case squeezing out the scratch. I have a lot of respect for the grading skills at ICG, and would be surprised if the coin would have graded if they thought it was PMD.

Other thoughts? Could it be PMD and it was missed by ICG?

I love them Barber Halves.....

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are great pictures, and I understand your premise....However, based on the pictures, I am leaning toward PMD...ICBW....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD to me.

• Options

Anyone heard from @Insider2 recently? I would love to get his opinion on this.

What makes me believe it's not PMD is the scratches exist boldly on the highest points, carry onto the sides of raised elements, but are non-existent in the valleys. That would be tough to create after the coin was struck.

Question- does this coin belong in a MS 62 holder, either due to PMD or a defective planchet (I think roller marks as @astrorat mentioned) ?

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

Insider2 was banned recently so you won’t get his opinion on this site. He may be on other coin sites but I don’t know which, if any.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damage. There are raised areas at the edges of the scratches where metal was pushed upward. This would not happen if the scratches were in the planchet before it was struck.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Roller Marks" on high grade Barber halves are not uncommon, in later years, though have never seen them on the early issues. Typically most prominent on or near the central obverse or reverse. No raised metal and often very difficult to see in pics.

• Options

Here's another Barber Half from my stash, a '13 S in a PCGS AU58 holder. Across the face, hair, and neck you can see a crescent shaped depression. Note that it's the same diameter as a half dollar:

It's my suspicion is the curved shape came about when a blank strip was lightly punched by a blanking press in the wrong place. The curved indention was in the planchet before striking. When struck, the lighter pressure at the high points allowed the curved indentation to remain. At the lower high pressure areas the curved depression becomes much lighter.

I'm pretty sure the circular shape isn't PMD. I believe it has characteristics of the original coin posted.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mint made. Sometimes called "roller marks." Sometimes called "drawing bench lines." Sometimes just generically called "planchet striations."
    TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

First thing I thought was it looked like roller marks as mentioned

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m a little late to the club and haven’t read above however to me I see #PMD the reason being is it’s only the surface and high points that I see a scratch along but I should maybe check my book and see if there’s an error known to have those traits. God bless Nate, great thread thanks for sharing

Thanks,
    Kathleen

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unforfunately, it looks like PMD to me.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options

I took a few extreme close-up shots of the scratched areas:

After looking at the areas close-up I'm in the Mint Made Roller Marks camp.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting coin.

I am in the "as stuck" camp. Those look like "roller marks" if you want to call them that. Parallel planchet scrapes or striations.

PMD scratches tend to have microscopic "edges" that are not uniform, especially for coins that are essentially mint state. Your closeup pictures do not indicate that to me.

Also, if you know the Barber design, those very much appear to be at the same "level" throughout the strike.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting. Thanks for posting!

• Options

I think I'm going to agree with the straight grade. Those look like roller or adjustment marks to the planchet, and the coin did not quite get a full enough strike to remove them

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2020 4:04PM

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I think I'm going to agree with the straight grade. Those look like roller or adjustment marks to the planchet, and the coin did not quite get a full enough strike to remove them

I don't think coins from the late 1800's had adjustment marks. I think they are drawing bench marks from the planchet production.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

Actually, you are correct ... I think that is a more correct description @PerryHall

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

LOL ... I'm losing it, I knew I saw that coin before. For whatever reason I didn't see any other posts when I responded a few minutes ago. Glad you got it graded!

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:

ICBW....

You can never be wrong, my friend! Lol. Just kidding. That reminds me of a wisecrack that my father would always say, " I'm always RIGHT, sometimes." :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins .... I was wrong once, when I thought I was wrong, but I was not. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Here's another Barber Half from my stash, a '13 S in a PCGS AU58 holder. Across the face, hair, and neck you can see a crescent shaped depression. Note that it's the same diameter as a half dollar:

It's my suspicion is the curved shape came about when a blank strip was lightly punched by a blanking press in the wrong place. The curved indention was in the planchet before striking. When struck, the lighter pressure at the high points allowed the curved indentation to remain. At the lower high pressure areas the curved depression becomes much lighter.

I'm pretty sure the circular shape isn't PMD. I believe it has characteristics of the original coin posted.

Sorry I am only seeing this now. Are there matching curved marks on the reverse? A partial punch should be visible on both sides.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

per the 1892. i think 99% of the time i'd call those planchet striations/roller marks from the stock being thinned out.

in this instance, though they "appear" to be those, i'm going to go against the grain and say most likely PMD. i'm not the most focused right now but they seem to only be effecting the high points. roller marks almost without fail obvious effect the low points as well since there is ONLY low points (or only high points) on stock which is flat.

also, flan striations are not usually that deep and wide.

if they are PMD, they are older unless someone found a way to make them less bright as they seem to match the rest of the surfaces patina.

i reserve my opinion until i am more focused or could see the coin in-hand, which i cannot.

also gotta call the 13 pmd. i could almost get on board with an incomplete strike if it were not for the neck. the raised metal is in such a way that it appears to be pmd. as nice as the images are, i'd need larger images for both to be 100%. perhaps even different angles. i'd rather be careful than wrong.

both are nice coins pmd notwithstanding.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

Here's the reverse of the '13 S Half posted above:

There are no signs of an incomplete punch there. I'll need to do a little research on how the punch worked.

As picky as the grading room at PCGS gets I'm going with mint made on both, not PMD. But it's interesting to hear other theories.

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's not an Incomplete Punched Planchet

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

There are no signs of an incomplete punch there. I'll need to do a little research on how the punch worked.

As picky as the grading room at PCGS gets I'm going with mint made on both, not PMD. But it's interesting to hear other theories.

There's an entire thread of incomplete punches here, including several of mine. Looking at the reverse of your coin, I agree that it is not an incomplete punch.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file