Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Collecting the SMS Coins of 1965-1967

PCGS_SocialMediaPCGS_SocialMedia Posts: 311 mod
edited May 13, 2020 10:50AM in U.S. Coin Forum

First, we want to thank @SanctionII for suggesting this article some time ago, we hope you and the other forum members enjoy what we've come up with.

"While all the SMS coinage exhibits far better strike and overall nicer quality than most uncirculated coins of the period, there was a major shift in the quality of the SMS coins during the three years these Special Mint Sets were in production. The 1965 SMS coinage generally offers satin finishes with decent luster but little reflectivity in the fields. Relatively few 1965 SMS coins offer cameo contrast on the devices, lettering, and other raised features. Many collectors were less than impressed with the quality and presentation of the 1965 SMS coins and demanded better specimens. The United States Mint kicked things up a notch with the Special Mint Sets beginning the following year."

Read on at: https://www.pcgs.com/news/collecting-the-sms-coins-of-1965-1967

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Interesting.

Vplite99
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

"One of the most common reasons for breaking up Special Mint Sets is to submit a particularly nice-looking coin for grading. And SMS coins that score top grades are worth big bucks."

There are a lot of great looking coins in these sets but the main reason the sets are busted up is to assemble SMS rolls. These are used to make date/ denomination sets which are wholesaled to the general public. This appears to principally involve half dollars. Some of the other coins are elusive in BU rolls (like '67 quarter) so SMS coins are often used for these dates.

There are a lot of unrecognized varieties in these sets. One of the most startling is a 1966 quarter that looks like a polished VG. These have a creamy luster and often are completely mark free.

Numerous different methods of manufacture were employed and some of these come together to make very unusual coins.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2020 3:40PM

Love da SMS's. Intriguing trying to hunt down all the varieties, as well as, the Deep Cams in those sets. Beautiful coins.
    The Mint should come out with "New SMS's" for modern coins. ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to see our host post an article on 1965-1967 SMS coinage.

Cameonut has posted photos of some gorgeous SMS coins.

This niche area can be fun to play around in.

The production of this coinage was so..................... "All Over The Place" (the best term I can come up with to describe it), resulting in these coins have a wide variety of appearances including:

1. low quality, ugly coins that look no different that mass produced business strikes;

2. coins that have fields and devices that look like brilliant proofs (without the benefit of being struck twice and with marks and other flaws resulting from being dumped into bins and coming into contact with other coins) ranging from ugly to eye appealing;

3. coins that are much better looking than those described in 1. above that have fields and devices that are granular, satin or matte in appearance;

4. coins that are similar to those described in 3. above however they fields and devices have different appearances;

5. coins that have mirrored fields and frosted devices which given them a Cameo appearance (but not enough to warrant a Cameo designation);

6. coins like those described in 5. above but they warrant a Cameo or a DCAM designation (with some approaching proof quality);

7. coins such as those described in 1. - 6. above that are untoned and that are toned (sometimes very attractively toned);

8. coins which exhibit die clashes (I picked up four 1965 SMS sets in OGP that contain dimes which are noticeably clashed; sold one set; gave another set as a prize in a raffle and still have two sets);

9. coins which are varieties (double dies, Dot heads, no FG, etc.);

10. coins that have one appearance on one side and another appearance on the other side; and

11. outlier coins which do not fall into any of the above categories.

A collector can play in this niche area for minimal dollars purchasing raw sets or singles in the wild; or a collector can purchase high grade slabbed examples and compete in the registry.

An example of collecting in this area happened for me last October. I stopped at a local show, found a 1965 SMS set in an after market holder that contained a heavily hazed over half dollar that looked to have heavily frosted devices. I purchased the set for modest money, gave the half dollar a bath to remove the haze. What emerged from the bath is a half dollar that is a lock Cameo and a possible DCAM. It is the best 1965 SMS half dollar I have found. Before and after pictures of the half dollar can be seen in a thread I posted about the coin.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, thanks for your post !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Nice!

Agreed. That 1967 Quarter is drop dead gorgeous!

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of great looking coins in these sets but the main reason the sets are busted up is to assemble SMS rolls.

in the years I helped and worked at a Coin Shop we never broke up sets to make SMS rolls and I never knew of any other dealers who did that.

One of the most common reasons for breaking up Special Mint Sets is to submit a particularly nice-looking coin for grading.

there are many collectors, myself included, who will by an SMS Set for a single nice coin, whether to hold or submit for grading.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not pursue these sets - at least not for myself. I did pick up a couple for Russ when I lived in the PNW...and he was always looking for dot-heads....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is one of these coins that I have in my set! 1967 SMS 67 DCAM

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice looking examples in this thread. :)

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the article, but being me I couldn't help but notice this:

"These sets were issued by the mint for $4 apiece – nearly double the price of the 1964 proof set and uncirculated set, issued at $2.10 and $2.40, respectively."

Wise guy me thinks, double the price and halve the quality - rip rip rip....

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

Before photos.

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Years ago I bought a 67 sms for the cameo quarter. PCGS graded it a 67 cam. Wish I kept that one. I liked it but wanted to make a bit of money at the time. I really thought it would go 68.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2020 9:54PM

After photos.

Will be posted later.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

There are a lot of unrecognized varieties in these sets. One of the most startling is a 1966 quarter that looks like a polished VG. These have a creamy luster and often are completely mark free.

Do you have an image? I'm very curious.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

@cladking said:

Do you have an image? I'm very curious.

No. I'll figure it out again one of these days.

These aren't extremely scarce and account for nearly 1% of production.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin, nice 65 cameo! I posted your photos below.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    Took me a lllloooonnnngggg time to find a PCGS cameo/dcam example of all the SMS denominations from 65-67.
    Here are a couple of my favorites. One of these days I'll have to have the rest True Viewed as many were obtained before TV was offered.

I'd love to have some of my with TV. I took pretty good pictures of my coins, they are in my registry. Current rank for the complete set is number 6. Are you above or below? Seems like a number of sets must have been retired. I don't remember being near that high last year.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coindudeonebay
    I don't know what my set would rank as I never set it up - based on the other sets I would easily be in the top 10. Precisely where would depend on the weights of the dcams vs cams. I like the deeper contrast of the dcams over higher graded cams. So I would keep a 65dcam sms nickel over a 68cam for example.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is my three...

• Options
    coindudeonebaycoindudeonebay Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

@Cameonut said:
    @coindudeonebay
    I don't know what my set would rank as I never set it up - based on the other sets I would easily be in the top 10. Precisely where would depend on the weights of the dcams vs cams. I like the deeper contrast of the dcams over higher graded cams. So I would keep a 65dcam sms nickel over a 68cam for example.

I agree with you there, I've downgraded to upgrade in my personal opinion. DCAM gives you a +1 advantage over CAM if I remember correct. I only have two DCAMs both 67, nickel and half.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file