Home U.S. Coin Forum

1880 SHIELD NICKEL HIGH GRADE SMALL LAMINATION REVERSE GUESS THE GRADE AND MS OR PROOF

coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭
edited May 10, 2020 5:50PM in U.S. Coin Forum

GRADE POSTED SUNDAY NIGHT.

GRADE POSTED SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW

BT&C

Comments

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 641 ✭✭✭

Au58

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭✭✭

ms-62

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say AU55 - 58 Magnification may be accentuating some points. Cheers, RickO

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au 55

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

High AU.

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any 1880 is high grade but I'll also go with 55.

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU

• bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Ill say proof 61

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 11:45AM

I say proof. I had a PR58 for my everyman set a while back. Last week a PR55 sold for PR63 money on Ebay.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU-58.

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you get this graded AU58, it will sell for a ton. There are only 2 graded and not sure where they are.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 12:26PM

PGCS has 25 of them in the Mint State grades and almost 100 in the circulated grades.

If this is a Proof, it's a very poorly made one. The shild has a flat spot in the horizontal lines and the some of the leaves are missing their detail. I know Proof coins from the early 1870s can be of disappointing quality, but I thought that the mint had its act together better by this time. I don't see any Proof surface on it, and it should have some in this grade. I'd say AU-50 to 53 inpart because of dulling and spots.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU53.

All glory is fleeting.
  • commoncents05commoncents05 Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭

There is a die marker for 1880 Business Strikes that must be there for PCGS to call it a BS. From my notes (taken from a previous thread by forum member 'howards':

There are 2 obverse dies and 2 reverse dies known for 1880 coins. They are not used in a mix and match fashion - there is a strict obverse/reverse pairing resulting in only two possibilities for the pairing.

Only one of these pairs has a later die stage which includes the island reverse. It is always paired with the obverse that shows a repunched second 8. But the repunched 8 is not a marker that distinguishes between proof and business strikes - it occurs on both.

This coin does appear to have the die marker, and definitely has the repunched second 8. I would grade it AU55.

-Paul

Many Quality coins for sale at http://www.CommonCentsRareCoins.com
  • coin4salecoin4sale Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

THIS

@commoncents05 said:
    There is a die marker for 1880 Business Strikes that must be there for PCGS to call it a BS. From my notes (taken from a previous thread by forum member 'howards':

There are 2 obverse dies and 2 reverse dies known for 1880 coins. They are not used in a mix and match fashion - there is a strict obverse/reverse pairing resulting in only two possibilities for the pairing.

Only one of these pairs has a later die stage which includes the island reverse. It is always paired with the obverse that shows a repunched second 8. But the repunched 8 is not a marker that distinguishes between proof and business strikes - it occurs on both.

This coin does appear to have the die marker, and definitely has the repunched second 8. I would grade it AU55.

-Paul

EXCEPT , on this one.

Where the island is supposed to be , (under the right foot of the second T in states) there is just the faintest of rough patch with no raised area, no "island" . There does appear to be a faint similarly sized circular granular area in that , but it is definitely not raised one bit.

but ...

first S in States is recut.

Planchet has a lamination ( not typically found on proofs)

coin not well struck

no proof or proof like like surfaces

So where doe that leave us ?

BT&C

BT&C
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 10, 2020 4:38PM

I am familiar with the diagnostic die marker island under second t in states(not on this coin), and the repunching. And more importantly, howards expertise in this area.

But several years ago, there was a guy that worked for stacks/bowers that did extensive study on this issue, he even did a presentation on these die characteristics on the 1880. ,and also on some of the 3 cent nickels business strike issues. I cant recall his name of the top of my head, but he claimed that there are confirmed cases in which a couple of the dies used both struck business strikes as well as proofs.

This coin IMO, clearly Looks Business strike as other have mentioned.

curious to see the designation

I might add: I used to own one in pcgs 55 years ago, sold long back, (like a big dummy). I was actually looking at it ,at a one of the national shows, dealer was a tad high in price IMO, so I hesitated. One that night was being auctioned in the sale in conjunction with that show , in 53 that wasn't quite as nice. I was watching the auction price shoot up past his selling price, so I went back down the next morning and bought it (that was the 55 I mentioned)

Several years later was attending the Houston show , just so happen to be there due to my eldest brothers funeral. I watched a real nice 55 bring like 14K plus. it was nice!

Now the nicest I have ever seen in hand belonged to a guy named glen marhefka. He purchased this coin(long before I knew him) at an ANA show in the late 80's for i think 800.00 It was in an old pcgs 64 green 2 pc holder. Exceptional coin. In fact at the same show Peters & Mohon were set up a isle over, but missed seeing it. Glen Told me when He showed it to them for thier opinions (they wrote a book on shields for those who didn't know) they immediately wanted to buy it and offered to double his purchase price. Fast forward to around 2005/6 I was interested in acquiring this coin , but funds were not a strong point for me at the time, and by the time I was able to gather up the funds, the price on these went nuts. He ended up selling it to Nick C (the Roosevelt dime guy) for like 50K. I had showed it to Chris Napolitano and he told me he thought the coin was exceptional and a slam dunk 65. Im sure its in a 65 or higher holder today!

GRADE REVEAL

Thanks for playing

PCGS Coin Information

According to the PCGS Certification Database, the requested certification number is defined as the following:
    PCGS # 3835
    Date, mintmark 1880
    Denomination 5C
    Region The United States of America
    Grade PR55

IMHO https://youtu.be/gDXeLmWGIu8

Of course there is big reason to find out.

pr55 = approx $500.
    au55== approx $10,000+

this ones value?

BT&C
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bummer.....great thread, though.
    I’ve been fascinated by this date/coin for a number of years. I cherried a VF almost certain biz strike from a sheet dealer a number of years ago that I flipped to a forum member/dealer at a FUN show.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

As I have said in previous threads, I don't buy into the proof vs. business strike "facts" for this issue. When I actively collected Shield Nickels back in the 1990's I bought a "proof" for this issue because it was cheaper and I was unwilling to pay any premium for a supposed "business strike". My feeling regarding this has not changed in the 21 years since I sold the collection.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file