Home Precious Metals

Price action in silver has been really disappointing these past 2 months...

jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Price action in silver has been really disappointing these past 2 months...

Seems like it keeps falling for no apparent reason and gives up days worth of gains in seconds.
Also, it's hard to price physical silver because a lot of buyers still think they can buy for spot. Makes it hard to sell then.

Don't think silver at $14 is the true value. I think we should be around $20-25/oz. right now given all of the economic uncertainty and massive liquidity.

Comments

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

we failed to get through the $18s and then it crashed.

thus my pessimism on seeing $20 anytime soon.

the price action of late has only reinforced that idea.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭✭

Not trying to be a smart-a$$, but if you feel silver should be at $20-25/oz, what are you currently paying? Do your actions match your words?

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    2 months? More like 9 years!

True!

It's been especially noticeable the past few months as I (and many other people) had expected precious metals to act as more of a hedge. Instead, silver is down more than the general market. LOL

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wingsrule said:
    what are you currently paying?

a bargain? happens in the stock market all the time.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Silver a mixed-use metals though as need to factor in its industrial component. Silver been behaving exactly as expected in this environment. Gold more the pure precious metals hedge, no surprise it keeps printing new yearly highs. Can't look at silver in isolation, have you been watching things like copper, oil, steel lately and all other commodities? Cu tied primarily to industrial demand and it was trending down last year pre-Virus and Virus just exacerbating issues. Oil may make the headlines and need to look at everything in totality.

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are two silver markets. I am pleased with the one that matters. I am also pleased that the one that matters could care less about the other one.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:
    2 months? More like 9 years!

Certainly hard to find many investments that have performed as poorly as silver over the past decade.

I suspect the manipulators will pump it higher again, just starting to wonder if it will occur again in our lifetimes.

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is interesting.... on the one hand, we have spot down... on the other, we have people paying premiums for hard silver in coin or bar form. Fun times people... ;) Cheers, RickO

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10-11+ for an ASE at the mex is crazy.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you can buy around spot, I think it’s still a great buying opportunity.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly hard to find many investments that have performed as poorly as silver over the past decade.
    I suspect the manipulators will pump it higher again, just starting to wonder if it will occur again in our lifetimes.

Stay tuned, $3 trillions more in bailouts are coming and that's just the beginning. The odds of silver going up are increasing, imo. Just do yourself a favor and don't buy any bonds.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Tiggs2012Tiggs2012 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

Junk bonds have been weak DESPITE the fed buyer involvement and the bond market is more forward looking than the smaller stock market. M2 supply and velocity is crazy, party just getting started.

• JTHawaiiJTHawaii Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

Silver has been a pain for me because of storage. Looking to sell and focus more on gold around an ounce. Wish I had done it sooner, when gold was languishing at $1200.

Successful BST Transactions With: AUandAG, SurfinxHI, tightbudget, dmarks, jfoot13, jimineez1, PerryHall, rte592, cucamongacoin, Flackthat, robkool, Walkerguy21D, pruebas, KJB, LukeMarshall, 1630Boston, chumley, privatecoin, Histman, SullyFan2, al410, mcarney1173, Coinflip, mbogoman, dm679864, commoncents05, scooter25

• chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭

doubt that i will see $25 silver in my lifetime....but my wife has zero invested in my 500 oz. so pure profit for her

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

The price may be down, but the premiums are up. I ordered 1500 ounces, so far, this year... and not one ounce showed up until after 5 weeks after the checks are cashed. Last order I was told it was possibly 6 weeks out.

• USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

It does seem like such a dog

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

this has been useful , I've made a list of dealers who thought it was ok to charge 5 or 10 bucks over spot and I will refuse to deal with them forever.

It was a rare moment of clarity and I found it very insightful .

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it will pan out in due time it usually does. Jmo

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2020 7:26AM

The aftermath of the current health stupidity will start the biggest depression ever.
    Silver is an industrial metal. NOT a money metal.

Honestly I think it’s a buying opportunity. if you can buy it reasonably

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@asheland said:
    Honestly I think it’s a buying opportunity. if you can buy it reasonably

Yes. It's probably buying opportunity #85 :D

I like the price action today B)

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Silver is tied to Copper production. That and hedging have held the price down. For now.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

Starting to sound like a silver futures forum. Forget spot price. Focus on the price of the actual precious metal. Those bichin about premiums should be rejoicing.

"Who needs risk management when you’ve got guaranteed bailouts? - Jesse Felder

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm rejoicing all the way to the bank...oops..all the way on line to the bank. Been selling 90% "junk" at x 15.5 to 16.5 face for the last 5 weeks. Not sure how long that will last.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still pretty disappointing...intra-morning swing of almost $1.00 in the silver price...on what should be positive news...but goes down $1.00...makes no sense, as usual