Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Central States win just arrived: 1901 MacNeil Pan American Exposition medal in gilt

WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a short set: bronze, silver, gilt, since it seems unlikely I'll stumble across one of the actual solid gold medals (2 or 3 known). But I was happy to score the "gold" last week:

These medals were sculpted by Hermon Atkins MacNeil, the designer of the Standing Liberty quarter. Though records seem to indicate 3,193 medals were awarded across all three metals at the exhibition, very few seemed to have survived. It's been suggested that they were fodder for the Great Depression or the metal drives of the world wars. But the fact that so many of the Saint Gaudens / Barber bronze 1892 Columbian Exhibition medals of similar size and weight survive would seem to refute that. I dunno.

This gilt example was awarded to the Mobile Company of America, a short-lived iteration of the Stanley Steamer / Locomobile steam powered vehicle companies, who were sometimes partners, sometimes competitors.

Mobile's listing in the Official Catalogue and Guide Book to the Pan-American Exposition:

And here she is with the rest of the family...

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! What an awesome trio to have been able to put together. It's really a cool group.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Really nice

• Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

A beautifully-designed medal and an outstanding group... congrats on "completing" the set!

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

You taught me something today. Never knew about these. Beautiful, and I would add that HA MacNeil was at the top of his craft.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking set. B)
    Is "gilt" a form of gold plating or something else?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss said:
    It's a short set: bronze, silver, gilt, since it seems unlikely I'll stumble across one of the actual solid gold medals (2 or 3 known). But I was happy to score the "gold" last week:

These medals were sculpted by Hermon Atkins MacNeil, the designer of the Standing Liberty quarter. Though records seem to indicate 3,193 medals were awarded across all three metals at the exhibition, very few seemed to have survived. It's been suggested that they were fodder for the Great Depression or the metal drives of the world wars. But the fact that so many of the Saint Gaudens / Barber bronze 1892 Columbian Exhibition medals of similar size and weight survive would seem to refute that. I dunno.

This gilt example was awarded to the Mobile Company of America, a short-lived iteration of the Stanley Steamer / Locomobile steam powered vehicle companies, who were sometimes partners, sometimes competitors.

Mobile's listing in the Official Catalogue and Guide Book to the Pan-American Exposition:

And here she is with the rest of the family...

One of my favorite medals. Congratulations

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love that set! Congrats on the win.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medals!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a great set! Was it gilt as issued or was it applied after the original issuance of the medal?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm happy with my one. A set of three would be amazing! Helluva job puttin' those together!

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medal, beautiful set! Congrats!

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition. Glad you got all three. I have the three also. I doubt if very many collectors have this set.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

How was the gilt applied? Did they gold plate the medal or apply gold leaf or is the process used unknown?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2020 4:15AM

@Weiss said:

That is quite interesting.
    I think I have the sister medal to yours. Next time I have it home to look at it I will confirm (and photograph).
    As I remember, mine was awarded to (and inscribed with) "The American Locomobile Company".
    Or maybe it is "The Locomobile Company of America".
    Mine is also gilt.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice set, congrats Weiss.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a truly beautiful set of medals @Weiss .... If a solid gold one does become available, I am sure it will quickly find it's way to your collection.... ;) Cheers, RickO

• Options

@dcarr said:

That is quite interesting.
    I think I have the sister medal to yours. Next time I have it home to look at it I will confirm (and photograph).
    As I remember, mine was awarded to (and inscribed with) "The American Locomobile Company".
    Or maybe it is "The Locomobile Company of America".
    Mine is also gilt.

Dcarr, here's an advertisement from The Automobile that shows Locomobile's gold medal win at the expo:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    17751775 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Great! Keep it going with beautiful Medals and Tokens/ Sure is a lot more interesting than a Morgan Dollar!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

My goodness that's beautiful.
    The artistry is moving.
    Congratulations.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool!

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great set of medals,they're beautiful !
    Can you imagine what a near mint 'Locomobile' would sell for ?

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's the number awarded for these beautiful medals-

Original mintages for the Pan American medals is unknown, however, The St. Louis Republic newspaper from October 10, 1901, published a list of awards presented at the Exposition. There were
    887 gold medals,
    1,159 silver, and
    1,147 bronze presented.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

These are great medals, and I love the look of your set together. Very cool!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

dcarr -- yes, the bronze edge mark and signature are found on most if not all of the gilt medals.

• Options
    Samuel8Samuel8 Posts: 378 ✭✭✭

Very nice medals! I also begin to collect medals.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see this thread resurrected... though only a year old. That medal is truly beautiful... in all three metal renditions. And, as previously stated, rare to see such artistry on both sides. Cheers, RickO

• Options

Glad this just started up again. I just acquired another gilt gold medal for Edwin Howell, a famous turn of the century relief map maker. I’m in the process of getting it graded but as you can see by the photos it’s in very nice condition…

• Options

Outstanding, @Randall !

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful medals and set. I hate to say it, but I think your bronze needs to be in a matching NGC slab.

thefinn
  • Options

@thefinn said:
    Beautiful medals and set. I hate to say it, but I think your bronze needs to be in a matching NGC slab.

I hear you. If it wasn't in the original box, or if the box wasn't in such good shape, I'd have already submitted her. But I think I like having one of them raw.

--Severian the Lame
  • Options
    RandallRandall Posts: 8
    edited May 4, 2021 2:10PM

@Weiss said:
    Outstanding, @Randall !

Thank you. I have a medal certificate but this is the first opportunity I had to buy an actual medal and it’s so nice. The guy who sold it to me is a picker who found it in a storage unit at a storage auction. He’s got papers and certificates so I’ve asked if he could see if he’s got the accompanying certificate.

• Options

Interesting event today. Not only do I have the gold medal for E. E. Howell, I now have a 1900 Paris international exposition bronze medal with its box with his name on it as well. The picker found it in his storage locker he bought. This makes 4 medals (1898 bronze medal, 1900 bronze medal, 1901 Gold medal, and the 1904 Grand prize medal) from this locker so I have to think the other 2 were Howell’s as well. Plus he found an Additional medal box with Howell’s name on it from the 1915 Panama-pacific international expo in San Francisco. I’m hoping he finds that medal as well.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great stuff!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file