Home U.S. Coin Forum

What are your thoughts on the color of this 1831 capped bust quarter?

ButteredfatkidButteredfatkid Posts: 173 ✭✭✭
edited April 27, 2020 7:25PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So I recently purchased this 1831 capped bust quarter small letter variety, graded PCGS UNC details questionable color. I wanted to see what everyone's opinion is, and if you think the details grade is justified? If it seems to be acceptable color, should I send it in for reconsideration/regrade to PCGS? Tried to get some photos in different lighting other than the trueview. Definitely is not as vivid as the PCGS photos make it out to be. Also an interesting point, the coin does appear to be from an older die. You can see some of the slight pitting marks on the obverse in the trueview, as well as the die crack on the reverse by 25c.

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it.

• FlatwoodsFlatwoods Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's been dipped and either improperly rinsed or purposely toned that way.
    The toning is the real problem. Lots of coins are dipped and graded.
    That one needs a fresh start, some time and better work.

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big bucks if you could get it to straight grade; I wonder if they would conserve it, maybe send it in raw to conservation first?

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see it as an AU55 or thereabouts and the GC auction that just ended had it selling for typical AU53 money.

My advice might not be so directly helpful, but I will type it out anyway. If you want to chase the AU55 +/- grade that the coin would likely receive in a no-problem holder then you may very well end up with the coin in the holder you want at the price level (after submission(s) and shipping) that it would achieve had it been straight graded the first time. However, you may also end up throwing funds into a money pit where resubmissions and shipping make the coin more and more expensive without yielding the results you want. I realize this might not be very helpful, but it is what my experience is telling me.

Good luck!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin looks attractive to me, but it is not Mint State with the obvious rub on the cheek. NGC might give it a straight grade. I can’t see a color problem from your photos, but might be be the problem; I am grading from photos.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good advice from @TomB....It could be a money pit.... Probably not worth the investment it will take to 'maybe' get a straight grade....Sell it and reinvest the funds in one you like....Cheers, RickO

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

The professional graders at the major TPGs see a lot of artificially toned coins. They develop a good "feel" for such things. If you buy such a coin hoping it will be a "good deal" when you crack it out, resubmit it and, hopefully get a straight grade you are just involved in gambling and will probably lose. Avoid problem coins as they just make someone else's problem your problem.

All glory is fleeting.
  • GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 6:55AM

Crack it,,,,, dip it,,,,,,, resubmit it.
    You got nothing to lose but the grading fee's.

GrandAm :)
  • PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find it attractive and wouldn't raise any alarms for me unless the surfaces are also questionable and were attempted to be hidden.

• lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd try it again. But not through the reconsideration service. Terrible idea. Just crack it and submit raw.

Sure, it may turn out to be wasted money. But it could also be a win so think of it as the gamble it is.
    Lance.

• CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the look of the coin, but the uniform gold-orange color suggests it was pan-fried to me, and I would not waste money trying to get it in front of a more liberal grader. Dipping might result in a dull XF45+ coin

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would make a pleasant Dansco 7070 coin filler.

peacockcoins

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would not re dip it, I just can't see whats under the toning. Lets talk about that toning for a bit. The toning is not very uniformed. It looks like it was applied and didn't take on the edges. The edges are a problem for me, natural toning does not look that way normally, I will not say never though. The reverse where the two leafs dip toward the rim does not have any toning, same on the obverse near the date. Usually natural toning has a pulled away affect on the digits or stars or whatever. Here in these places is missing. So to me it looks man made. I think someone was trying to make a coin with wear look like a coin with little wear... For me, I would push this coin down the road and look for another specimen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file