Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Disappearing Items from inventory?

While organizing my collection I’ve noticed several coins recently that have belong to me but have disappeared from my inventory... some I have personally sent in for grading, others I added to my inventory years ago.

Several of these items have somehow been registered into someone else’s registry and I now have had to send a few removal requests to put my coins back into my inventory. I noticed this with an 1887 S $5, 1938 proof nickel, and other lower priced coins I already forgot about.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

other people put them into their sets? you should check what email is linked with your registry as PCGS is supposed to email you before allowing this.

• ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never had this happen. I did have an eBay seller refuse to give me the Cert # of a coin he was selling. His claim was he did not want me to add it to my set registry. I informed him I did not have a registry set for the series and would not purchase the coin without being able to look the coin up. He lost the sale.

• CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    other people put them into their sets? you should check what email is linked with your registry as PCGS is supposed to email you before allowing this.

Even if the OP didn't get the email, the supposed new owner should have had to send PCGS photos of both sides of the slab to get it removed from the OP's inventory.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@3keepSECRETif2rDEAD said:
    ...what kind of loser puts coins they don’t own in their registry set?

It happens more often that you might think. To the op you should call and talk to customer service, that shouldn't happen.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a guy do that to me once, took my photo of a rare key date, and put it in his registry. I don't use the registry so I wouldn't have known till I happen to see it by chance when reviewing who had what of this particular date in registry mainly so I could see what was out on the market. He quickly removed it when I questioned him. By the way, I knew the guy somewhat

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,763 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why would someone do that?

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

There really are some weirdos out there.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check your safe ;)

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2020 4:40AM

@keets said:

consider this: when I first joined the PCGS Forum I got involved with the Set Registry because I liked the concept. it led me to meeting some like-minded collectors who I still know and who collected the same things I did.

I left when it became apparent that for a lot of participants the "competition" to be the best was the primary factor. it wasn't the quality of the coins that really mattered, it was having the highest score. I really believe this drives collectors to do things like what the OP describes.

It also drives otherwise smart collectors to spend stupid money for a coin just to up their score.

Just my eversohumble opinion.

Cheers

Bob

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really?? People do that? Actually pull pictures from other people's sets and put them in their own? Unbelievable. I know the point competition is pretty fierce, but did not realize such deceitful behavior was practiced. Cheers, RickO

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are more of these jokers than you might think. I have also heard of people “renting” a coin for the awards period and giving it up after the winners are announced.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

TRIAPD

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets said:

consider this: when I first joined the PCGS Forum I got involved with the Set Registry because I liked the concept. it led me to meeting some like-minded collectors who I still know and who collected the same things I did.

I left when it became apparent that for a lot of participants the "competition" to be the best was the primary factor. it wasn't the quality of the coins that really mattered, it was having the highest score. I really believe this drives collectors to do things like what the OP describes.

Years ago there was the case, well covered here, where a 1963 cent graded PR-70 DCAM had become spotted in the holder and no longer qualified for the grade. That didn’t stop some bidders from pushing the price up to over $35,000 in two Heritage auctions.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn’t be any surprise to anyone. What’s the old baseball saying: if you aren’t cheating you aren’t trying to win? Doesn’t matter what sport or endeavor, there will be those who do these things. I am in a number of registry sets but I do it for my own amusement. There’s no possibility I could compete with the deep pocket players so I don’t bother trying. I just like filling the holes and seeing where I rank now and then. It’s fun for me but I’m under no illusion that I’ll ever win anything more than a participation trophy.

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had some Registry sets that I deleted/retired a few years ago, I have been buying again and plan to reactivate some sets. I like the Trueviews, a good way to present a set. Some of the coins I bought were still registered in other sets that PCGS had to contact to remove, I understand this is common.

When I had an early US set, in order to "retire" a set and have it remain listed requires 90% completion - this set would need a ~$50,000 coin to get to 90%. There was a person who listed this coin type, and within a couple weeks his set was retired and is now on the "all time finest" along with Norweb, Garrett, and Newcomer, although I doubt he ever owned the coin, it could have been "rented" or possibly just a cert number pulled from an auction listing.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

I have also heard of people “renting” a coin for the awards period and giving it up after the winners are announced.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if you enter the coin into your PCGS inventory, how can someone else put it into theirs?
    The only way I can think of is if they steal your pics, contact PCGS and claim ownership.
    I think PCGS would have emailed you asking for you to remove it.
    Any chance you think you added them but didn't?

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2020 9:20AM

I usually get the removal requests and verify possession ASAP if it is not a recent sale. I don’t recall getting one for any of the mystery coins.

@sparky64 said:
    So if you enter the coin into your PCGS inventory, how can someone else put it into theirs?
    The only way I can think of is if they steal your pics, contact PCGS and claim ownership.
    I think PCGS would have emailed you asking for you to remove it.
    Any chance you think you added them but didn't?

I know I added my pr67 1938, I bought it graded, then had it attributed and moved it in and out of my sets previously. I even sent it to CAC.
    My Gold, I won from pcgs on day 4 of the giveaway Contest last year and I am 98% sure I added it in January, 2019

• @Aspie_Rocco we're going to move this to the Set Registry forum and tag @SetRegistryManager so that team will have a chance to look into this for you.

I have since sent multiple removal requests, sent in images of the coins I own, and still I cannot add them. One in particular was sent on April 23, now April 30th, STILL cannot add it.
    I have sent emails to this address With no luck or response mailto:setregistry@collectors.com

• Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there needs to be a penalty enforced for users who " steal "  a registry # and add to their sets without actually possessing the coin.  Remove their sets ?   Something.

Getting a little off track here, but I'd like to know others feelings. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Registry rules ALSO state seller has three days to remove a coin from their inventory after receiving an email from our host requesting removal, under threat of having the sellers set removed from the registry. I know that our host doesn't enforce this as I have had multiple cases ( close to 50 ) where I had to send the pictures of coins in my possession to be removed by our hosts. On contacting PCGS, I was told " some people don't have access to computers " Disagree. They listed the coins in registry, they can remove them. Not ragging on our hosts as I'm very happy with all other aspects but this is one area I feel they could do a better job. PLEASE enforce your own rules.

edited May 2, 2020 8:03AM

7 days and I still cannot add coins I own!
    Is the registry department even open yet?

Multiple removal requests have gone unanswered. I sent pics of my coins 3 or more times. STILL cannot add. What is the deal?
    I tried the app. The regular website. The forum.

Please help @SetRegistryManager

• MartinMartin Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez I get the frustration, but we are in the middle of a national emergency. Cut them some
    Slack. This after all a hobby

Martin

• @Aspie_Rocco said:
    7 days and I still cannot add coins I own!
    Is the registry department even open yet?

Multiple removal requests have gone unanswered. I sent pics of my coins 3 or more times. STILL cannot add. What is the deal?
    I tried the app. The regular website. The forum.

Please help @SetRegistryManager

Hello @Aspie_Rocco

We have processed your remaining Removal Requests. I apologize for the delay.

Should you need further assistance, please email SetRegistry@Collectors.com and we will assist you as quickly as possible.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager
  • Hello All,

I apologize for our delay in processing pending Removal Requests and responding to emails. Based on current events, our team has been working very limited hours remotely from home and we have not been able to process all pending requests and respond to all members as quickly as we would like to.

We are in the process of releasing, denying, and processing all Removal Requests and responding to members through email and phone.

With our recent update to the Activity Page within your Set Registry, we are hoping to streamline the Removal Request process to make it easier for you to add to and continue to build your sets on the Registry. If you've not already done so, please take a look at your Activity Page by clicking "Activity" on the left menu panel of your Registry. You will see and can act upon, any pending Removal Requests on this new page. If you've been proactive and have already uploaded images through your Activity Page, we will process your request as quickly as possible.

Again, I thank you all for your patience as we work to assist you as quickly as possible. Should you have any outstanding requests, please email SetRegistry@Collectors.com from the email address on-file and let us know the pending issue so that we can address it for you.

David Talk
    PCGS Set Registry Manager

@SetRegistryManager said:
    Hello All,

I apologize for our delay in processing pending Removal Requests and responding to emails. Based on current events, etc. etc. etc.

Based on the current world situation it is understandable that things are just " not the same " as they once was. Hopefully some day soon we can get back to those times. I think you're doing a fine job under the circumstances. Thank you sir.

• Don't you think it's a bit harsh to have someone's entire registry set removed/retired just because they were unable to respond to a removal/release request for 1 coin?

When they retire a set it makes it so you can't use your coins to re-generate the same set again.

@Tom147 said:
    Getting a little off track here, but I'd like to know others feelings. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the Registry rules ALSO state seller has three days to remove a coin from their inventory after receiving an email from our host requesting removal, under threat of having the sellers set removed from the registry. I know that our host doesn't enforce this as I have had multiple cases ( close to 50 ) where I had to send the pictures of coins in my possession to be removed by our hosts. On contacting PCGS, I was told " some people don't have access to computers " Disagree. They listed the coins in registry, they can remove them. Not ragging on our hosts as I'm very happy with all other aspects but this is one area I feel they could do a better job. PLEASE enforce your own rules.

That's the rules in place. And if the party does have their set removed ( which our host isn't doing, even though it's their rules ) The party simply petitions our hosts and the set is placed back on the Registry. I received a coin a couple days ago. PSubmitted a removal request today. Probably do it tomorrow and the next day, then take pictures, send them in and have our hosts release it.
    One coin ? Not a problem. I believe it is 56 or 57 total since October. That's out of a total or 350 coins ( give or take ) purchase in the same time frame. 16+ %.