Options

Seated Liberty Quarter NT or AT

goldrealmoney79goldrealmoney79 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭
edited December 15, 2023 8:59PM in U.S. Coin Forum

x

Comments

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gone now. The toning looks like a lot of coins posted here, but I wouldn’t venture a guess.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

QT although the pictures are also not of great quality. Hard pass for me...

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Raw for a reason?

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something just looks off about it

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

It looks okay on the obverse, but from the reverse, it looks totally messed with.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm betting your post caused it to sell. While it maybe AT'd, it's a purdy coin!

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not natural toning

I would say "ask Insider2 for his thoughts", as he is more explanatory on this like these, but I don't think that can be done now.

For me, I look at the toning and I look around the devices. I don't like the colors, I don't like the look. I don't think it is natural (or, without "help", intentional or not).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    Not natural toning

I would say "ask Insider2 for his thoughts", as he is more explanatory on this like these, but I don't think that can be done now.

For me, I look at the toning and I look around the devices. I don't like the colors, I don't like the look. I don't think it is natural (or, without "help", intentional or not).

He shared some thoughts here:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/at-or-nt-1855-seated-liberty-quarter.358972/

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    I'm betting your post caused it to sell. While it maybe AT'd, it's a purdy coin!

It sold on April 22nd (3 days before this thread started).

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like NT to me. I like the coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would pass on that coin....it has the look of a well done AT job...on a coin with a lot of dings/scratches...This will/has sold on the tarnish alone....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT I have become suspicious of all these type coins suddenly appearing with turquoise edge toning.

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options

Thanks for all your comments guys, it was very insightful

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@amwldcoin Posted this thread after it already sold. I try to stay away from posting live listings unless I think theyre defintely malicious in some form.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks AT.

• Options
    android01android01 Posts: 306 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that this coin is NT, re-toned after an old dip. It certainly (IMO) isn't BU. High AU would be my guess. Also, (IMO) the photos are juiced giving a more suspicious look to the toning.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2020 3:09PM

I dunno. I think this kind of toning can be appropriate, but I'm also a bit skeptical about how many cool colors are magically appearing to meet demand. I don't ever buy raw coins worth that much unless I can see them in-hand prior to purchase. The photo technique is a bit weird - almost like they're trying to hide something. I'd pass on this, but it wouldn't ruin my view of the world if it was later shown to be appropriate and magnificent.

This coin, that lives in a rattler, has kinda-sorta the same kind of look, yet it's still different. There is a bit of complexity and depth to the toning, some irregularity in areas of relief (elevation chromatics), and an "old" appearance. The 1880s seated quarters were produced in spectacularly small numbers and have a bit of a prooflike looks that sometimes tones this way.
    The coin in the OP's post has more of a "cooked up yesterday" look, but again, it's hard to be sure from those photos.

Edited to add:
    ..... upon further review, the OP's coin is most likely AT in my book.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

@U1chicago said:

@Bochiman said:
    Not natural toning

He shared some thoughts here:
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/at-or-nt-1855-seated-liberty-quarter.358972/

Thanks.....I don't "do" other coin forums, even cointalk, really, so I wouldn't have seen that.....he sure is a lot more brief over there than he was here.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen many old time collections and seated coins like that . I'll say N.T.

Sold this one

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

@metalmeister said:
    I've seen many old time collections and seated coins like that . I'll say N.T.

Sold this one

I wouldn't question that 1864 quarter, but I would question the coin which is the subject of this thread.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Hmmm. Really? That is an old time holder before the boom in A/T. I think our host got that one right. BUT I am wrong sometimes. Beautiful 1889!

• Options

BTE put up the 1864 for a comparo. Sorry for the old school pic. Taken decades ago.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file