Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Key for my SLQ set

ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I started my set number of years ago, it was meant to be on the cheaper side. raw coins, the look of old silver, not much more desired then a full date. With time I started looking for a bit more shield detail, more full feathers, a touch of luster. With all but three slots filled, the set is a lot more XF-MS than I envisioned. But some would always be an exception , including the 1921. I’m happy to find one with a pretty solid date in a grade range that still doesn’t give me heart burn to add to album. Currently in PCGS plastic as F15, it will be joining the album soon :)

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice wholesome coin there! Great job. Would be great to see album pics!

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it. I like the look.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the 1921. Yours has nice, honest wear, with enough of the coin there to look decent.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like a really nice coin and would be spectacular left in the slab or placed raw in an album.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ThreeCentSilverFLThreeCentSilverFL Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a great series and a nice wholesome coin. I’m sure it will appreciate the freedom :)

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember picking a 1921, that would probably grade about a 3, from a bag in the early 1960's.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! And the date is strong for the grade I believe. I was about to say that it's a "wholesome" example, however @ThreeCentSilverFL beat me to it. :)

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great example! The 21 space in my circulated set remains hollow. Would love to find one like that!

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice and original looking piece.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came from a family that collected coins. But most if not all coins were collected out of circulation. I inherited no UNC MS coins. Coin collecting in that era was more about searching bank rolls and he excitement of finding a new coin. Now we are focused on graded quality and buy our coins from dealers and auctions.

Thanks for your post @ad4400 as it reminds some of us what coin collecting was all about.

OINK

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice old SLQ... Circulated silver makes a really nice collection....It was standard when I was a kid....Cheers, RickO

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

What have you done/are you doing for your 23-S?

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice piece!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great series - congrats.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pick up.

About 1998 I picked up a 1921 in low grade, last digit from junk silver --

I got it slabbed. Now in a G-04 slab

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful example. I've always consider the SLQ the finest design of any U.S. coin. Love your 1921. Well done!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. I like it a lot. the obverse of the SLQ is my favorite design of any US coin.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - a super, fun series to collect.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 1:21PM

There is also a die variety of this coin that has a die crack running from the rim to the eagle's feather.

It appears just to the left of the "U" in UNUM.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    ad4400ad4400 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shorecoll said:
    What have you done/are you doing for your 23-S?

Slabbed for authentication , full date for sure. final grade TBD. Need to figure out what is available, feasible. I’ve worked on all my sets as matter of years. I’ll figure it out

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file