Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

For those of you that typed on envelopes, do you miss it?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 16, 2020 11:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I just ran across this envelope and it got me thinking about what collecting must have been like collectors typed out these envelopes themselves. These days, I just get a slab and it goes into a box.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never typed on those envelopes, though I did plenty of manual typing back in the day, but I did place copious notes on quite a few coin envelopes.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    edited April 16, 2020 11:21PM

@TomB said:
    I never typed on those envelopes, though I did plenty of manual typing back in the day, but I did place copious notes on quite a few coin envelopes.

Do you miss writing on envelopes? I have some ATS slabs that have a big white sticker on the back for note taking along the lines of provenance and former auction appearances, but most slabs I have don't have any notes on them.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes.

There is some sort of connection (not the right word, but I can't come up with the proper word at the moment) when you do this by hand. At least, when I write on an envelope I attempt to write neatly and place on it the information that I desire in a logical and aesthetically pleasing manner. Having a double-row box of paper envelopes with their associated coins is a cool memory.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I typed my Masters Thesis, wish it fit on a coin envelope. :p

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very impressive catalog info on that envelope. I really appreciate research data on every coin. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I was glad when the typewriter went out. Hated it.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned to type on a manual typewriter. I was certainly happy when the electric came along

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

70 wpm is my tops, for speed, but for Kraft envelopes, I prefer pencil.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't typewriters ancient ?

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used a Royal manual in college. Got an IBM Selectric and thought I was special. 60 wpm was my best. Never typed on a coin envelope.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jimnight said:
    Aren't typewriters ancient ?

I have two. One is an Olivetti 22 portable I use for typing submission forms. The other is an IBM Selectric II that belonged to my mother-in-law that I'm trying to bring back to life. No electronics in it at all. Lots and lots of levers, springs, and linkages that have gummed up in the 15+ years of non-use.

• Options
    SiriusBlackSiriusBlack Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk I have a Smith Corona Sterling from 1938 :-D I take a lot of notes on how I light and photograph coins at work, but I have a feeling I'd annoy my coworkers in short order if I brought in the typewriter, so I use a journal and fountain pen! :D

Collector of randomness. Photographer at PCGS. Lover of Harry Potter.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was harder than it seems. The little envelope would not always roll up perfectly horizontal with each carriage return. And line spacing wasn't always uniform. It took some care.

No, I don't miss it.
    Lance.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used a fine tipped pen. I have excellent handwriting. :)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 6:39PM

Still have a few small envelopes saved from Newman, Ford, Tanenbaum, etc. but never did it myself. They are fun to save especially from "Name" collections.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 7:46AM

Remember the old days of television news ? One could hear typewriter keys pounding in the background, then in the head; long after the sports and weather.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

before computers, typing was a skill.

Somewhere in my files lies my USAF typing school certificate.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Personally I was glad when the typewriter went out. Hated it.

I started typing when I was just a little kid and never could remember where the letters were.
    We had to take typing in middle school and the teacher was big into "home row."
    She would darken the room and we wore blinkers like trotting horses and then she would tally our results.
    Occasionally she would give a gentle reminder to the knuckles of offending students whose hands would wander from the proper location (myself included).
    I think I was up to 4 or 5 wpm (seriously).
    But with looking down I could do 40 or so.
    I am still a really poor typist/texter/keyboard person.

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Selectric forever baby !

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

The ONLY reason I can type today is that our high school typing teacher was smokin hot. More guys took typing than normal I’m sure. No fella looked at the keys.

Never did use that skill on a coin envelope.

• Options

Actually I can type fairly rapidly probably 70-80 wpm. But I hated typing on the older typewriters because mistakes were a PITA to fix. With keyboards you can just backspace and fix or highlight and fix.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

I took a technical drawing course early in high school (well before CAD) and found out I was good at printing, so I've always hand labeled my flips and 2x2s. Hated my typing course.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Took typing in high school but was never really good at it. Was a programmer / analyst for thirty years and back in the old days (late 1960s) used a key-punch machine and / or a computer terminal to write code. Then and to this day I type with two to five fingers and probably remember where more of the keys are than I think I do.

Never used a lot of envelopes but when I did I always used a pencil or pen, same with 2X2s

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 9:26AM

We still had an Underwood MANUAL typewriter that we used for lead ID film tags on our radiographic inspections. Electrics were relatively easy...try pound out anything on a manual typewriter. It was either that or writing them out manually with a pen. Typing on lead tape produced neat, readable results.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to type up coin envelopes all the time, when I wasn't putting my best coins in costom made Capital Plastics holders. I think that slabs and my old typewriter disappeared at about the same time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Elmhurst said:
    Selectric forever baby !

Ever look at the guts of one of those?

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 words.

Stenographer
    Secretary
    Typist

With those around, there was no need to type or write

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still write on my envelopes. Just redid my Spanish Colonial collection to kill time during Covid restrictions. It was nice visiting with friends I haven’t seen in awhile.

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited April 17, 2020 7:36PM

Back in the 60’s I used 2x2 envelopes for my Lincoln cents with the date and MM type using a old Royal typewriter. If one had the resources pre-printed envelopes could be used.

A favorite Store Card...

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Remember the old days of television news ? One could hear typewriter keys pounding in the background, then in the head; long after the sports and weather.

Also the teletype machines in the newsrooms.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Learned to type in high school on a manual. I became known as what's called a "banger". Hard key hitting. To this day can type on a manual well. On an electric not at all. Don't have the light touch. For my PC keyboard I still use the single finger approach. I still have all the old 2x2's from the early 70's that are written on with the error coin description. Some from auctions I took part in. Others from Coin World's Coin Collectors Clearinghouse that the staff was kind enough to ID for me when I sent coins to them for identification.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have typed on manuals and electrics, but never on a coin envelope. But I do think it special that someone thought enough of a coin to provide information on such a small envelope. But with 6 font you might be able to get it all in?

OINK

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Learned to type in high school on a manual. I became known as what's called a "banger". Hard key hitting.

I remember people that typed with a single finger were called pckers. I did a lot of 10 key and data entry in my first "real" job so keyboarding is not an issue with me to this day. Guess I was never a pcker.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Learned to type in high school on a manual. I became known as what's called a "banger". Hard key hitting.

I remember people that typed with a single finger were called pckers. I did a lot of 10 key and data entry in my first "real" job so keyboarding is not an issue with me to this day. Guess I was never a pcker.

I think you mean peckers. We called them "hunt and peckers" and I was one of them. :(

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PennyGuy said:
    Back in the 60’s I used 2x2 envelopes for my Lincoln cents with the date and MM type using a old Royal typewriter. If one had the resources pre-printed envelopes could be used.

A favorite Store Card...

Wow, great envelope from the Fulds!

Have you thought about filling out the fields?

• Options
    tokenprotokenpro Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Fuld envelope would likely be more accurate if it read "From The Inventory Of Melvin & George Fuld". Many of the tokens sold by the Fulds from their ads and price lists came in those envelopes similar to marketing techniques used by a couple current medal & token dealers. IIRC the Fulds did use the same or similar envelopes (I recall black on tan) for their actual collections before they were sold mostly intact but the envelopes definitely were not exclusive to the collections.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2020 11:33AM

I'll tell you what: I was a MUCH better typist when I was using a typewriter with carbon paper, and was confronted with apocalyptic chaos and bottles of white-out if I screwed up.

• Options
    PennyGuyPennyGuy Posts: 143 ✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@PennyGuy said:

A favorite Store Card...

Wow, great envelope from the Fulds!

Have you thought about filling out the fields?

I didn’t want to change it in any way. Just keep it in the sleeve with the token in a holder.

"A penny hit by lightning is worth six cents". Opie Taylor

• Options

Anyone remember the handheld label makers that were popular for a short time in the 70's? They used different colors of semi-rigid plastic and you would punch a raised letter or number one at a time by turning a dial to select each character. Then you peeled off the backing and stuck it on your item. I had one but it was very time consuming and they did not stick real great.

Then I go to a coin show and as I approached one table I could not believe my eyes. This guy had made hundreds of them and stuck them on as labels on all his 2x2's ! Many of them had multiple labels showing the date, mm, mintage, type of coin. I could not imagine how many hours he must have spent doing it and it did not look professional anyway. :#

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    BobSavBobSav Posts: 913 ✭✭✭

At the beginning of the school year of 1966 the typing teacher in our high school died. Her replacement turned out tobe the hottest young teacher that our high school had ever seen. The next monday there were 40 guy's standing in line to sign up for typing class.
    We never cut that class no matter what and a couple of us sorta learned to type.

Past transactions with:
    Lordmarcovan, WTCG, YogiBerraFan, Phoenin21, LindeDad, Coll3ctor, blue594, robkoll, Mike Dixon, BloodMan, Flakthat and others.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file