Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just saw this. If USPS shuts down, this would be the final nail to the economy coffin. I don't know about others, but I am heavily relying on USPS to ship my goods to buyers for income. Especially during this crisis. I am out of work but at least I am fortunate enough to have a state retirement check every month. I live in N.Y. so who knows they might take that away too.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's difficult to discuss this without violating the political commentary policy of the forum, but if you investigate further, you will see that there was initially money set aside in the original proposal in the recently passed 2.2 trillion dollar bill that would have addressed the USPS situation. Certain people demanded that the language be removed before they would pass the bill. The reasons are deep and many as to why one group of people would like to see the USPS fail. It is unfortunate that they seem to be exploiting the COVID-19 pandemic to achieve those goals.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

They will not close simply because essential businesses like food manufacturers, drug manufacturers etc. get parts for their machines shipped by the Post Office. Congress will fund them through this crisis.

The post office will eventually get back to self sustaining by cutting mail delivery to less days a week.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Agree, look at the last few words in the first paragraph: ...”threatening the livelihood of hundreds of thousands of Americans”. That should read “millions and millions”. Not happening. If it does this country will be in ruins and total chaos.

• Options

I agree with all the comments. Just understand, this "problem" could have already been taken care of, quietly, with what will end up being basically a rounding error once all the bailouts and stimulus amounts have been tallied. There happens to be intrinsic value in making this a separate, and very public, "crisis" at a later date.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:
    It’s political grandstanding and nothing more. The USPS will not be shutting down any time soon.

<<< The USPS will not be shutting down any time soon. >>>

Of course not.

True story - I'm going from memory, i didn't google it, but i recall reading that back in the 1950's, may have been the 1960's, the USPS had made plans to deliver the mail right after a nuclear war.

If the USPS could handle a nuclear war, i'm sure they can handle the corona virus. :)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW - UPS and FedEx won't shut down either because of this corona virus.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

dont worry, usps will not be shutting down. I believe they shipped north of a billion prescriptions last year.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    Agree, look at the last few words in the first paragraph: ...”threatening the livelihood of hundreds of thousands of Americans”. That should read “millions and millions”. Not happening. If it does this country will be in ruins and total chaos.

Calm down Elvis.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if it's a money issue then they'll figure it out with the government and if it's potentially a manpower issue they could always hire more people

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    I think if it's a money issue then they'll figure it out with the government and if it's potentially a manpower issue they could always hire more people

If it were only that simple. What I'm trying to tell everyone, is that it is best everyone pay close attention. There are people actively within our government, alas, people actively within the USPS, that want the USPS to "fail". Not in the sense that it goes away, never to be able to send items again, but to turn public perception of the USPS negative.

Yes, email and people paying bills electronically hurt the business model. 9/11 and the anthrax scare hurt mail volume. The 2006 congressional bill requiring the USPS to pre-fund retirement health care through 2081 (some future retirees covered won't even be born until 2024) crushed them financially. The 2008 financial meltdown crises hurt mail volume. The COVID-19 crisis will hurt mail volume. Despite all of this, the USPS has portions of it that are extremely profitable. It is not bleeding the amounts of cash that the public stories want you to believe. Much of it is accounting tricks and misinformation or misdirection.

By steeling the public, repeatedly, with the possibility that the USPS may "go under", it is much easier to then slip privatization legislation through that will parcel off the profitable parts to certain private entities. It will also be much easier to close locations that sit on prime real estate, and sell that land to private developers, etc. There is much more going on behind the scenes than this, if you just take the time to investigate.

The current postmaster's term has ended, pushed out if you read between the lines, but has stayed on past her retirement date while the search is on for a new postmaster that will be more accommodating to these coming changes. Pay attention to that appointment.

Passing legislation to shore up finances now likely puts a wrench in these plans. They want to be able to tout the dire circumstances, and promote privatization, at a time when it's the only story going.

You don't have to believe me right now. You may not even care. But, if you do, just stay aware. Keep watching.

• Options

@countdouglas I honestly don't know how that got posted. I started typing it the day this thread was started and wasn't anywhere near finished with how I wanted my opinion to be heard. It got saved as a draft and I must have posted it by mistake when reading these most recent comments.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas
    Kuddos..... You've done your homework and hit it right on. The 75 year pre-funding of retiree health care was the killer even though the OIG reported the Postal Service has made an unnecessary and unfair transfer of tens of billions of dollars to the U.S. Treasury in the form of CSRS overpayments. The overpayment won't be returned because its been spent and of course they can't agree on the accounting method to determine if it was 50 or 75 billion. The Postal Service business model is not bad..... just outdated and controlled by the board of governors making it difficult to increase market based products and services. Seriously, in 2016 the price of a stamp decreased for approximately a year..... who in their right mind lowers prices when everything else is increasing. UPS and Fed Ex drop off packages everyday to the Postal Service because its profitable for them to charge a higher rate than USPS charges them plus they don't have to go miles out of their way... they take the cream and pass off the rest since USPS goes by every house everyday. Privatization would be cream only. Rural and small communities would suffer. Don't worry, USPS isn't going to close.

• Options
    AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is beginning to dance along the lines of a nasty political discussion. Let's please not let ti go there. Thanks!

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

The USPS has been horrible on packages. So far the padded envelopes have been fine with a delay in tracking upload being the worst problem for me. I think I may move all my high dollar graded cards to FedEx.

The postman hasn't asked for my signature even though the packages have required it. I think he is signing it himself. That could be an issue if there is a stolen package. If you don't have a Ring doorbell, spend the money to protect yourself.

Mike
  • Options

That is pretty terrible for both the buyer & seller. I've got so many packages "off the grid" right now that I've been so worried about them all actually getting delivered to me that I really haven't even thought about them arriving damaged or not. I'm waiting on three packages from Spain that are currently 9 weeks,8 weeks & 3 weeks delayed since payment was made. Then I have another 3 packages from US sellers whose tracking haven't been updated in over a week including one from an APO address. Hopefully they all arrive in the same condition as their listings.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd - I've got a rare card coming from Spain as well, and it's been 37 days and counting since the purchase, so I feel your pain. It sucks because all we can do is wait and hope that they get here.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I have a package from 4SC held up for 2 weeks somewhere in NE.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    @erikthredd - I've got a rare card coming from Spain as well, and it's been 37 days and counting since the purchase, so I feel your pain. It sucks because all we can do is wait and hope that they get here.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

😂😂 Right on brother!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

😂😂 Right on brother!

If that doesn't work we send in the big guns, Joe can kick some ass while Mike flies our cards home. B)

• Options
    FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭✭✭

That picture is a gut punch. All those beautiful packs ruined. Uggh.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emar said:

Same. I think their listings did say they were having shipping delays though.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

😂😂 Right on brother!

If that doesn't work we send in the big guns, Joe can kick some ass while Mike flies our cards home. B)

😂😂They better know how serious we take our Jordan and Louis cards!

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:

@emar said:

Same. I think their listings did say they were having shipping delays though.

Yes. Their shipping time has gotten quicker recently.
    The USPS has it jammed up w/o any current location.
    The lady at 4SC Office said to keep an eye on it; it's fully insured.
    The NE appears to have more covid related delays.
    I waited for 2 weeks for a package to make it out of NYC
    I'm not complaining...happy to have my health :)

• Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2020 6:02PM

I shipped an item 25 days ago to Boston. Still hasn't gotten there.

• Options
    rmh111985rmh111985 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭✭

I had a package from Sweden that sat in Chicago's customs for 49 days. It arrived at their facility on 4/1 and wasn't delivered to my house in PA until 5/19. Apparently, Chicago is an atrocious hub to have international items go through.

Main collecting focus is Patrick Roy playing days 85/86-02/03, expect 1/1, National/All-Star stamped cards.PC Completion: 2,548/2,952; 86.31% My Patrick Roy PC Website:https://proy33collector.weebly.com

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erba said:

@coinspacks said:

I'm sorry, but thats not the way to pack and ship a $5,000 item. Pack it in a larger box with an excessive amount of bubble wrap/packing peanuts.

Yes. A lot of that is on the shipper.

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

I started selling stuff again recently for the first time in years......I have had no USPS issues as of yet. Guess Im lucky

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

post office has been doing a remarkable job both incoming and outgoing for me. we usually only bring up the bad, but i've been thoroughly impressed. my actual mailman has actually been dropping off a good 2 hours earlier each day.

incoming international has been a prob though.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    post office has been doing a remarkable job both incoming and outgoing for me. we usually only bring up the bad, but i've been thoroughly impressed. my actual mailman has actually been dropping off a good 2 hours earlier each day.

Exactly! It's the same with people that win the lottery! Everyone of them is stupid and blows the money!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but thats not the way to pack and ship a $5,000 item. Pack it in a larger box with an excessive amount of bubble wrap/packing peanuts.

Exactly!!! Who in there right mind would send it that way? If I'm paying $5000 for a box of cards..... What's another $130 for Express Mail fully insured for the $5000 limit and guaranteed 2 day delivery? If service standard of 2 days isn't met then you're due a refund for postage.

International: I wouldn't use it at this time.
    Any mail that is traveling through New Jersey and north on the East Coast are experiencing delays due to Covid-19 and a liberal USPS leave policy to ensure employees have child care and are quarantined for 14 days if exposed to the virus. In this region of the country staffing is the issue for now.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

Matches my experience. My regular postman has been awesome, even stopping by early evening on Tuesday to complete a pickup that was missed during regular delivery time and running it to the main hub to get it out on time.

I'm nearing 4 weeks on a package from Portugal and 3 on one from Canada. I'm sure they'll eventually make it through. Just ordered one from Belgium today, not expecting to receive anytime soon.

• Options
    royalbrettroyalbrett Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I am surprised by all of the packages coming from Europe in this thread. Are these sports memorabilia items?

Yeah, I uploaded that KC icon in 2001
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@royalbrett said:
    I am surprised by all of the packages coming from Europe in this thread. Are these sports memorabilia items?

Mine are. I'd guess around a third of my orders are from international sellers.

• Options
    AttumraAttumra Posts: 182 ✭✭✭

It will never shut down, that's just a political plot to interfere with the election in my opinion. The president would make them go to work. I have friends in the USPS and they said they need the work and it would never happen just a pipe dream for money and political issues.

• Options

@royalbrett said:

Mine are too. During the pre-covid days these shipments would usually arrive in 10-14 days now who knows when.

• Options

Finally got in two of my Spain shipments,one arrived in 50 days(not 8 weeks that I thought) and the other in 24 days.

• Options

I had a buddy who was in the National Guard in 1970 when Nixon federalized the National Guard to deliver the mail. He said it was quite a windfall for him, benefits wise. See "postal strike of 1970".

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Finally got in two of my Spain shipments,one arrived in 50 days(not 8 weeks that I thought) and the other in 24 days.

That is great news. There's still hope for my Joe!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

Hang in there he's on the way! If I would have known that all it would take to get my cards here quicker was to complain about the shipping here I would have done it weeks ago. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

Hang in there he's on the way! If I would have known that all it would take to get my cards here quicker was to complain about the shipping here I would have done it weeks ago. ;)

I'll be waiting with my sign outside. ;)

• Options
    magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

til then, best keep your other sign up ;)

• Options

@magicpapa said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

til then, best keep your other sign up ;)

Oh trust me, until Joe gets here this is the sign I will be using outside for the mailman... ;)

• Options
    jlvette50jlvette50 Posts: 328 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

I can picture it now, you and Joe on the couch watching Shopgirl, Waitress, or Lizzie McGuire with a tub of popcorn.

Longoria Collector. Love the Longo!https://psacard.com/psasetregistry/baseball/player-sets/evan-longoria-master-set/alltimeset/90851 600+ PSA Graded 4,700+ unique Longoria cards scanned on TCDB 800+ different Longo autograph cards Jeff

• Options

@jlvette50 said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

I can picture it now, you and Joe on the couch watching Shopgirl, Waitress, or Lizzie McGuire with a tub of popcorn.

😂😂 Then after we watch Lizzie McGuire, Joe can do my hair for me.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

i love me some Steve Hart and BBCE, but you have got to be kidding me with this on a 5k box

confucius say, level of care and number of problems have inverse relationship