Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Post your shipwreck coins

BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 3, 2020 5:11PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

From the wreck of the Le Chameau off the coast of Cape Breton Nova Scotia. Ex. JJF and the finest piece from the sale of his collection making it presumably the finest piece from the shipwreck.

Comments

• realeswatcherrealeswatcher Posts: 398 ✭✭✭

Bought this a few years back. Not attributed as Chameau... but almost all of these out there came from that wreck, I got it from a Canadian dealer, and it has that typical wreck gold slightly matte look:

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

1886/76-Go 8R, Chinese Chopmarks. During the Spanish-American War and the Philippine Insurrection, raids by Filipino independence fighters on local banks severely depleted local currency stockpiles. As a result, large amounts of silver coin were stored aboard US Navy vessels in the area for safekeeping. One of those ships, the USS Charleston, grounded on a reef in Nov. 1899, becoming the first steel vessel lost by the US Navy. The hoard wasn't discovered until the mid-1980s by local salvagers, and much of the estimated 1 million coins aboard were sold by weight and melted; however, a few were ultimately obtained by a US-based salvager/dealer, and retailed on the secondary market. This is the only example I've seen with chop marks, but I imagine others exist.

• FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

@ChopmarkedTrades said:
    1886/76-Go 8R, Chinese Chopmarks. During the Spanish-American War and the Philippine Insurrection, raids by Filipino independence fighters on local banks severely depleted local currency stockpiles. As a result, large amounts of silver coin were stored aboard US Navy vessels in the area for safekeeping. One of those ships, the USS Charleston, grounded on a reef in Nov. 1899, becoming the first steel vessel lost by the US Navy. The hoard wasn't discovered until the mid-1980s by local salvagers, and much of the estimated 1 million coins aboard were sold by weight and melted; however, a few were ultimately obtained by a US-based salvager/dealer, and retailed on the secondary market. This is the only example I've seen with chop marks, but I imagine others exist.

Very cool! I hadn't heard that story. All I know is that Dewey defeated the Spanish and took over the Manila in a matter of days, all without losing a single man. Here's a coin that would have been circulating around that time.

• ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FilamCoins said:

Very cool! I hadn't heard that story. All I know is that Dewey defeated the Spanish and took over the Manila in a matter of days, all without losing a single man. Here's a coin that would have been circulating around that time.

Interestingly enough, the Charleston only participated in the final bombardment of Manila on August 13, 1898, because she had gone to take Guam beforehand. The Spanish garrison at Guam didn't even know that the war had started, and when the Charleston fired upon Fort Santa Cruz, they assumed it was a salute, and rowed out to the vessel to express their apologies that they didn't have gunpowder to return the favor. The formal surrender of the island was recieved the next day.