Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Topps Project 2020

Comments

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

CONGRATS! Good luck with the sale, and although the card is a beauty you are wise to sell while the iron is hot. That's a great interpretation of the '53 Jackie!

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

@jasoneggert said:
    Hit the lottery today. Ordered five of this one, and this was in the last package. It was noticeably heavier than the others.

Did the artist contact you? He is one buying his own holds up—it might save you on eBay fees

• Options
    jasoneggertjasoneggert Posts: 486 ✭✭
    edited May 22, 2020 9:00PM

@byronscott4ever said:

@jasoneggert said:
    Hit the lottery today. Ordered five of this one, and this was in the last package. It was noticeably heavier than the others.

Did the artist contact you? He is one buying his own holds up—it might save you on eBay fees

I have not been contacted by him. My email is jasoneggert42@gmail.com if anybody would like to discuss the card.

• Options
    burghmanburghman Posts: 805 ✭✭✭✭

@jasoneggert said:

I have not been contacted by him. My email is jasoneggert42@gmail.com if anybody would like to discuss the card.

Blake is on the BO forums regularly to talk about the project - I PMd him over there with your email and a link back to this thread. Hope it works out for you guys. It seems to legit be him as he’s released sneak peeks of his stuff on the site, but who knows? Here’s his offer on the 1/1 McGwire, so you may be in for a nice treat if you reach a deal...

The bounty on my 1/1 Gold Framed McGwire will include:

Custom one-of-a-kind painting of your choice (24x36)
    Round trip airfare for 2 to NYC (after COVID dies down)
    NYC hotel for 2 nights
    Spend a day with me in the studio and we can paint something together (which you can also keep)

Jim

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@burghman said:

@jasoneggert said:

Blake is on the BO forums regularly to talk about the project - I PMd him over there with your email and a link back to this thread. Hope it works out for you guys. It seems to legit be him as he’s released sneak peeks of his stuff on the site, but who knows? Here’s his offer on the 1/1 McGwire, so you may be in for a nice treat if you reach a deal...

The bounty on my 1/1 Gold Framed McGwire will include:

Custom one-of-a-kind painting of your choice (24x36)
    Round trip airfare for 2 to NYC (after COVID dies down)
    NYC hotel for 2 nights
    Spend a day with me in the studio and we can paint something together (which you can also keep)

I would hold out for cash.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2020 4:25PM

The prices on the first 50 cards are incredible! Fun to watch.

Edit: the crash and the Ebay scammers not so fun to watch.

• Options
    pdub1819pdub1819 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭

@robert67 said:
    The prices on the first 50 cards are incredible! Fun to watch.

I’ve been watching some of these sales and they’re incredible.

I sold that Trout for $200 and was excited. I just sold a Bob Gibson for $400... but these prices are crazy High... and they’re not even the artist proofs!

• Options
    edited June 2, 2020 4:24PM

Wow. Nice for the sellers.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2020 4:49PM

Purchased 10 Mike Trout Ermsy and still have 7 left. They are going to a safe deposit box at the bank. I am not sure if these crazy values will hold down the road for the 2020 Project. However, if there is one card to buy, it is the Mike Trout Ermsy. With a print run of 2911 copies, it is far tougher than Trout's 2011 Topps Traded and once baseball gets going (hoping this year), you will see another run on this card.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man reading about this and seeing the activity on Twitter is exciting. Nice to see interest in new product in the hobby. Good luck guys!

• Options
    edited June 2, 2020 4:24PM

• Options
    edited June 2, 2020 4:23PM

• Options

That Ted is actually nice.

Yaz Master Set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Just picked up the latest Mattingly by Mister Cartoon. I like it. The other card for today is a Frank Thomas with no face by Fucci. Not a fan of the faceless cards.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    edited May 29, 2020 6:30PM

@krisd3279 said:
    Just picked up the latest Mattingly by Mister Cartoon. I like it. The other card for today is a Frank Thomas with no face by Fucci. Not a fan of the faceless cards.

I just did the same. I guess I am not sophisticated enough to understand the Fucci cards. Lol. I haven't purchased any of his so far.

• Options
    Nascar360Nascar360 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2020 10:55AM

Mike has a great informational site with everything your looking for https://waxpackhero.com/blog/topps-project-2020

• Options

@Nascar360 said:
    Mike has a great informational site with everything your looking for https://waxpackhero.com/blog/topps-project-2020

Great site! Thanks for the link.

• Options

The sales for the later cards have slowed and some of the earlier cards have dropped as well.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Significant price drop in the earlier cards, but still tremendous interest in the product. I will collect and sell a few to support the collection. This product has traction and hope it continues. Man, would love to see Acuna in 2021. I am watching the Trout Ermsy closely as a buy opportunity over the next few weeks.

• Options

Well, I just had to issue my first refund for a Project 2020 card that I sold on Ebay. I should have known better than to list any of these, but live and learn.

• Options

@robert67 said:
    Well, I just had to issue my first refund for a Project 2020 card that I sold on Ebay. I should have known better than to list any of these, but live and learn.

Hi, what was the buyers reason for a refund?
    I was debating in my head to sell the first two Clementes in the set with the thought that I could buy a Goudey Gehrig with the profits...but I don't think that's possible now that the sell prices have kind of calmed down.

• Options

@robert67 said:

Ditto - luckily I hadn’t paid for shipping or sent the card when his cancellation request came in. Claimed that the person he bought the card for doesn’t collect anymore. Returns, cancellations, and canceled bids appear to be all the rage with those cards - lots of buyer’s remorse as prices plummet. I’m holding until things calm down and there’s less risk of returns based on regret. Stockx is also an option - returns are either not allowed or more heavily scrutinized since the stockx team reviews the card as a middleman and can confirm it’s legit and listed correctly (avoiding the dreaded “not as described” that eBay allows without much questioning).

Jim

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this set but the buying and selling of it encapsulates very well everything wrong with the hobby. Prices are being driven by speculators and buying groups, shilling and fake sales are rampant. Sellers when prices were going up were bailing in sales, and now the tide has turned and buyers are returning cards that have dropped in price in droves.

Fascinating to watch. The race to the bottom is strong on this set right now and I’m not sure what true demand will look like once all the new speculators exit. I think it is super cool but not sure there will be 3k people willing to pay over 1k for a Trout art card. I think most of these cards are headed to what should be realistic prices for cards printed in the thousands.

• Options

@pdub1819 said:

@robert67 said:

Hi, what was the buyers reason for a refund?
    I was debating in my head to sell the first two Clementes in the set with the thought that I could buy a Goudey Gehrig with the profits...but I don't think that's possible now that the sell prices have kind of calmed down.

They used item not as described. I just went ahead and refunded because Ebay almost always sides with the buyer and it isn't worth it to me to fight.

I won't be listing any of these or anything else on Ebay. They stink for small sellers.

• Options
    edited June 2, 2020 4:22PM

Don did some autos for his charity on some eariler cards. May have to check into seeing if he would autograph this for a donation.

• Options

I have a few coming too that I'm excited about - JK5's Clemente with some Star Wars Easter eggs hidden within, and I'm interested in seeing Don C's gold Frank Thomas card. Is it plated or just printed to look like it's plated? Should be getting these in the next week or 2. The Jamieson Jackie Robinson I already have in hand is really sharp too - the colors really pop.

I picked up a Rochester Ripken yesterday when prices plummeted - that's more of a really low PR flip opportunity, but I don't know what I'm going to do with the other 5 yet (I was originally going to try to flip but like Robert says above and my own experience shows in selling these in a volatile market, it just isn't worth the stress until things settle down a lot).

Jim

• Options
    edited June 24, 2020 2:26PM

• Options

Just received 5 of these in the mail today.

These were ordered about a month ago...I guess they were a little backed up.

• Options

Had my first cancelled order yesterday. Mr. Cartoon Robinson. Guy says it is taking too long. Really it is because the value has dropped 75% since he bought it. Would he be cancelling had the value gone up? I am an honest seller, I shipped out 10 earlier Robinson's even when the value went up 400%. I guess it is too much to ask to have honest buyers too.

I had one lady email me just to tell me that she will be honoring her purchase of the Mr. Cartoon Robinson even though the value has gone down. I am so impressed with her integrity that I am going to send her TWO of them instead of one. If Topps ever gets around to shipping them to me!

• Options

@jasoneggert said:
    Had my first cancelled order yesterday. Mr. Cartoon Robinson. Guy says it is taking too long. Really it is because the value has dropped 75% since he bought it. Would he be cancelling had the value gone up? I am an honest seller, I shipped out 10 earlier Robinson's even when the value went up 400%. I guess it is too much to ask to have honest buyers too.

I had one lady email me just to tell me that she will be honoring her purchase of the Mr. Cartoon Robinson even though the value has gone down. I am so impressed with her integrity that I am going to send her TWO of them instead of one. If Topps ever gets around to shipping them to me!

Was this through eBay? If so, shouldn’t you have the items in hand when you list them?

Yaz Master Set

• Options

@DBesse27 said:

@jasoneggert said:

Was this through eBay? If so, shouldn’t you have the items in hand when you list them?

This was a presale. Topps has not shipped them out yet. The buyer knew this when purchasing. They even contacted me before buying making sure I would not cancel their order on them! A lot of sellers were taking orders, then cancelling them when the values shot up.

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Too many looked at this as just an automatic flip...it’s got months left to go...just enjoy it for what it is or just skip it

• Options

@byronscott4ever said:
    Too many looked at this as just an automatic flip...it’s got months left to go...just enjoy it for what it is or just skip it

It’s been a hard “skip” from me since the beginning.

Yaz Master Set

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely loved the concept as I said at the beginning of the thread but 400 cards at $17.50 a pop is a $7000 set. Obviously Topps knew what they were doing with the price point as it is immensely popular. Would love to have collected this set but needed to be only a few from each artist - not every artist doing all 20.

• Options

@brad31 said:
    Absolutely loved the concept as I said at the beginning of the thread but 400 cards at $17.50 a pop is a $7000 set. Obviously Topps knew what they were doing with the price point as it is immensely popular. Would love to have collected this set but needed to be only a few from each artist - not every artist doing all 20.

I agree, definitely hard to collect the whole set. I've decided to collect only the Clementes. I typically buy 5 at a time and hope the additional 4 pay for the one I keep.

Recently, Topps announced that with every Trout release, they were going to randomly place on card Trout autographs in purchases....so now I have to try to get one!!

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brad31 said:

Well, this way there are many possible subsets. For example, you could buy all the Goodens or all the Ben Ballers. A 20 card set of your favorite player or your favorite artist for $350 spread out over a year ought to be very affordable.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree great for player collectors but not for set collectors.

• Options

This one ends in a few hours. I really like her work .

• Options

@robert67 said:
    This one ends in a few hours. I really like her work .

Bought 5!

• Options

I like the design on this card but the homerun references are cringy. The artist knows nothing about baseball and took a quote out of context, thinking Clemente was a homerun hitter.

This is one of the issues with these cards, some of the artists are mailing it in. I believe this same artist put stats on an Ichiro card that make no sense.

That said, I am still finding Project 2020 pretty fascinating. Can only dream about a hockey release like this, it would bankrupt me!

• Options
    AnkurJAnkurJ Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting that you can get most on eBay for less than direct from Topps. The sellers are hoping for some of the rare variants I suppose.

All coins kept in bank vaults.
    PCGS Registries
    Box of 20
    SeaEagleCoins: 11/14/54-4/5/12. Miss you Larry!
  • Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2020 6:03AM

I’m doing a Rickey player set and a Matt Taylor artist set

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    I like the design on this card but the homerun references are cringy. The artist knows nothing about baseball and took a quote out of context, thinking Clemente was a homerun hitter.

I can't take credit for this theory, as I saw user armenexchange on Blowout suggest this. If you read Clemente's quote, "I am more valuable to my team hitting . 330 than swinging for home runs," and then look at the card, it appears that the .330 is circled indicating that's what Roberto chose over swinging for HR's. So it makes more sense in that context. The artist may know more about baseball than we think.

• Options

I think thats a stretch. The Project 2020 pumpers must be trying to justify the card.

She has home run sketched on the card twice. This same artist as mentioned has a stat on an Ichiro card that makes no sense. Both of these plus the fact she has admitted to knowing little about baseball cards leads me to believe a lot of these cards are put together pretty quick.

I still love this set fwiw. A lot of the cards are outstanding

• Options

I have a Blake Jamieson Mike Trout Artist auto red coming (eventually). Looking to sell it or trade it for a Jamieson Jackie Robinson auto.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2020 3:56PM

GL, jason. If you don't get any takers here, you might try over here

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1364128&page=1265

• Options

@CW said:
    GL, jason. If you don't get any takers here, you might try over here

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1364128&page=1265

Thanks

• Options

Welp...got my first "Item not as described" for the Gibson I sold on May 24th and now requesting return on June 18th. Said there were scratches on the case. This is the first time during my entire time on eBay (since 2001) that someone is requesting a return. I sold the Gibson for $470 and now it's selling for under $200.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Refund money no questions asked? Offer partial refund based on the going price? Fight it with ebay?

• Options

@pdub1819 said:
    Welp...got my first "Item not as described" for the Gibson I sold on May 24th and now requesting return on June 18th. Said there were scratches on the case. This is the first time during my entire time on eBay (since 2001) that someone is requesting a return. I sold the Gibson for $470 and now it's selling for under $200.

Any thoughts on what I should do? Refund money no questions asked? Offer partial refund based on the going price? Fight it with ebay?

Man that blows. I don’t think you’ll get anywhere fighting with eBay. I think you’re stuck.

Yaz Master Set