Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

thedockter - Hundreds of UNDERgraded coins (to not trust???)

isaiah58isaiah58 Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2020 1:39PM in U.S. Coin Forum

They are consistent, aren't they? And with the images they choose to use, who knows what is really in those slabs. Here is an example, was this coin removed and cleaned?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1824-Capped-Bust-Half-Dollar-NGC-AU55-Hundreds-of-UNDERgraded-coins-UP-NR/293528225180?hash=item4457a5459c:g:mH4AAOSwdIVef~hG

Edited to add NGC link: https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/2598285-002/55/

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, it is just hype. If anything, that particular coin appears OVERgraded. We don't even know if the slab is genuine.

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many of the coins were encased years ago? Looks like a pretty new prong holder. Maybe 2 or 3 years. Always pushing the envelope.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big Al is your pal! Hey kid, why dontcha come back around tomorrow, I'm gonna have something for ya. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

And they were found in a 200+ year old safe. Interesting

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReadyFireAim said:
    I think I've seen this picture before. :D

Yeah, about 100 times. Look at all those Washington quarters found in the 200 year-old safe!

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 12:02PM

The guy is a scheister but there’s no evidence of him using counterfeit slabs/coins is there?

I’d never give him a dime either way but that accusation would take it to a whole nother level

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    COINS MAKE CENTSCOINS MAKE CENTS Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its amazing how terrible his pictures are yet he has so many positive feedbacks!

New inventory added daily at Coins Make Cents
    HAPPY COLLECTING

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

TPG pics of OPs linked coin. Seller's coin sure looks a lot cleaner.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

Related to mothernaturesfinestonedtreasures?

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aren't there supposed to be overweight rent-a-cops standing around in that picture?

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deja vu all over again.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 1:33PM

I purchased from Al. He is an older gentleman and I had successful transactions with him. However, understand that all the raw coins he sells, for the most part, will be cleaned or polished. One PCGS-graded MS65 coin was in a real holder and was nice - although some might say the coin has a hint of dip residue (not distracting though and it was a very old dipping). Suggestion, if I was to purchase, make sure the coin of interest is rare enough to where the price value difference is negligible vs. what would be paid and you are knowledgeable / confident enough to know from diagnostics the coin is genuine... then you will be fine. However, this probably would be a very small set of coins. Like one I have from Al is a cleaned (actually looks environmental) 1918/7-S Standing Lib quarter in AU Details - but definitely Full Head (as an example)... I would have never been able to buy a straight-graded AU or UNC full head 1918/7-S Standing Lib any other way. That was my personal decision.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2020 1:36PM

@derryb said:
    TPG pics of OPs linked coin. Seller's coin sure looks a lot cleaner.

Yes, that is why I think it was cleaned. I picked several, some have images in NGC to compare against. The images make it hard to fully compare every one listed properly. They are legitimate holders, and it appears that the coins inside are probably to ones that were slabbed. The one I linked was on purpose, as the image on NGC appears to be a much darker coin. The key marks on the coin are there. On a few others, again the images can just be bad enough, it is very hard to find some of the marks that the NGC image clearly shows. This can be reconditioning, thus the claim the coins or UNDERgraded. Someone then will eventually buy them, break them out, and submit them. Probably in a month, after feedback is not available, get surprised as to the coin being cleaned or something similar.

I wonder how much time it takes to either remove the coins and line them back up: or did he find a way to dip them while still in the slab? I did not see a history of ownership on NGC like I believe PCGS offers.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    And they were found in a 200+ year old safe. Interesting

I looked through many of his listings for certified coins. Many/most of the PCGS slabs I saw were current generation AND showed a fair amount of scuffing or scratching. So if they were stored in a safe long ago, they've been recently resubmitted (meaning they likely aren't "undergraded") and probably not by this seller or the slabs wouldn't be as scuffed as they are (unless he's been taking them to shows before running them as auctions on eBay). In other words, his backstory is most likely BS.

That said, if he had a coin I wanted at a good price, who cares where it came from?

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 2:21PM

@CoinJunkie said: "...his backstory is most likely BS."

I agree 100% :)

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@johnny9434 said:

That said, if he had a coin I wanted at a good price, who cares where it came from?

Because, if he removed the coin and altered it, then where does that leave you? Look at feedback from buyers that actually know what to look for. For slabbed coins he is selling, most have images on the registry site. My point is that I see coins in slabs that do not look the same as when they were registered. If the coin has been altered, no honest person would see a reason to buy them unless they plan to resell them dishonestly.

His antics have been discussed here several times.

@sedulous stated "I purchased from Al. He is an older gentleman and I had successful transactions with him. However, understand that all the raw coins he sells, for the most part, will be cleaned or polished. "

• Options
    bombtech25bombtech25 Posts: 209 ✭✭✭

How far back does that safe go? It’s been years.

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

@CoinJunkie said:

@johnny9434 said:

Because, if he removed the coin and altered it, then where does that leave you? Look at feedback from buyers that actually know what to look for. For slabbed coins he is selling, most have images on the registry site. My point is that I see coins in slabs that do not look the same as when they were registered. If the coin has been altered, no honest person would see a reason to buy them unless they plan to resell them dishonestly.

His antics have been discussed here several times.

@sedulous stated "I purchased from Al. He is an older gentleman and I had successful transactions with him. However, understand that all the raw coins he sells, for the most part, will be cleaned or polished. "

Since I was discussing his slabbed coins, I figured one might reasonably infer that that was what I might consider buying from him. If any case, that is in fact what I meant.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

Since I was discussing his slabbed coins, I figured one might reasonably infer that that was what I might consider buying from him. If any case, that is in fact what I meant.

Yes, and the discussion is still that the coins in the slabs appear to be altered based on the images on the registry sites. I clearly mentioned this in my response, you skipped to the comment I posted related to raw coins. No one should purchase altered slabbed coins, and you know bids will be from people that do not know how to run the ID numbers and verify the coin.

• Options

@isaiah58 said:

@CoinJunkie said:

Yes, and the discussion is still that the coins in the slabs appear to be altered based on the images on the registry sites. I clearly mentioned this in my response, you skipped to the comment I posted related to raw coins. No one should purchase altered slabbed coins, and you know bids will be from people that do not know how to run the ID numbers and verify the coin.

Based on the fact that none of his neutral/negative feedback is for certified coins, I'm going to assume that what you are positing as altered slabbed coins are more likely manipulated images. The fact that he has a 30 day return policy and I have 20+ years of experience in the hobby makes me stand by my statement. If others don't wish to deal with him for whatever reasons, I completely understand their position. There are a ton of yellow, if not red, flags there. Caveat emptor.

• Options

@CoinJunkie I appreciate your explaining your position on this and I respect it. I guess it is not any different than buying a raw coin that a dealer guarantees would be a minimum grade if submitted. From where I sit, I do not know enough. I would have to rely on working with someone with your level of experience that has established integrity in knowing how to identify if a raw or slabbed coin is real and properly represented.

• Options
    dadamsdadams Posts: 376 ✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 9:27PM

Thought I recalled another thread about this guy not too long ago:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1033253/the-dockter-big-al-etc/p1

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

"thedockter" is a (in)famous personality and we always give him free publicity.
    :'(

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could have bought from him ... but felt something was not right.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1, 2020 3:45AM

"thedockter" is always open for business. Drop by sometime. He may let you touch the 200 year old safe! :p

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

This guy, and his 200 year old safe, gets so much hype here on the forum he should give a discount to forum members that buy from him... ;) His offerings, from the infamous safe, are discussed here at least monthly. Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file