Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins in holder

Grading coins and put it in a holder is not really common in Europe.
I wonder what’s the reason for that?
Is it guarantee, that the coin is no fake?
Is it because of the professional rating?
Or are the other reasons?

I would be very happy to receive answers, many thanks in advance and sorry if the question is stupid!

Comments

• Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Not a stupid question. I have noticed that there is a different idea, or maybe culture to collecting in America than many other places.
    Europe has a deeper history and tradition than the US, There is most likely traditions that are taught and followed very closely and more use of cabinets. I once saw a collection of English Maundy coins that were back to the sixteen hundreds and there was not one in a any kind of protective holder. They were in a cabinet and the best example was on top with the more circulated ones stacked beneath it.

And the 'number game' was not important to them. That is, maybe, a result of the grading services, but it is huge here in the US and not so big in other countries.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wayfarer....Welcome aboard....Here in the U.S., the grade and authenticity of the piece is very important to most collectors (not all). The slab also serves to protect the coin from further degradation. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moxie15 said:
    Not a stupid question. I have noticed that there is a different idea, or maybe culture to collecting in America than many other places.
    Europe has a deeper history and tradition than the US, There is most likely traditions that are taught and followed very closely and more use of cabinets. I once saw a collection of English Maundy coins that were back to the sixteen hundreds and there was not one in a any kind of protective holder. They were in a cabinet and the best example was on top with the more circulated ones stacked beneath it.

And the 'number game' was not important to them. That is, maybe, a result of the grading services, but it is huge here in the US and not so big in other countries.

It sounds like some Europeans are still collecting coins like they did during the middle ages. Just sayin'. ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys for the answers.
    Is that also a guarantee that the coin is not a fake?

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. All the best here

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wayfarer said:
    Thanks guys for the answers.
    Is that also a guarantee that the coin is not a fake?

Yes, also makes the coin more liquid if you need to sell it.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collectors in the US are very "investment" oriented even though coins are actually a poor "investment" vehicle. Slight differences in grade can result in huge differences in price. Wealthy "registry set" collectors demand the best and are willing to pay to get it. Many/most US collectors can't grade, detect surface alterations or counterfeits. This has led to a demand for slabbed coins that are both graded and authenticated. Now many also demand "stickers" from yet another third party that certifies the grade the original slabbing company gave the coin. This demand has been building steadily for several decades.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Moxie15Moxie15 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

It sounds like some Europeans are still collecting coins like they did during the middle ages. Just sayin'. ;)

They are more into traditions than we are. I often say that Americans have no memory. (but that is not really true)

If you asked ten people what constitutes an old thing here I would bet at least eight would say something pre 1950 is old. In England I bet that it would be something along 1800 or older. Then consider those of the middle east, many still hold grudges from the time of the first crusades.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forums. The certified coins are guaranteed to be genuine.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that I am more "on the dark side" I prefer my coins raw, like many of the Europeans. They are easier to store and being able to handle something that is many hundreds or a couple thousand years old is neat.

About the only certification holder that I find useful are the NCG holders with the "strike" and "surface rating" numbers on them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember seeing one time that certification was to even the playing field when buying or selling coins.

Some complained that when they bought a raw coin, they were told that it was a high MS grade.

However, when they sold the same raw coin back to the same dealer, it was now only an AU58.

Although grading is not an exact science, it brings the seller, and the buyer closer to the true value of the coin.

• Options
    wayfarerwayfarer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭

Many thanks for your answers - so interesting

Underneath (just for example it´s a US Coin forum, I know) a DOLLAR 😊 (TALER) in high quality from my country – without grading
    (Weight: 28.33 g Diameter: 39 mm)
    It feels good in hand.

Hope you enjoy it!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now that Taler is a magnificent coin.

Thanks for posting a photo of it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file