Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you like sequential cert numbers?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 31, 2020 1:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

When certifying many pieces, you get sequential cert numbers.

Recently, some big sales like Pogue and Baker / Historical Society of PA had sequential cert numbers.

A lot of people like consistency in slabs. I think it's fun to have pieces that have sequential cert numbers so when you look at two, or more, similar pieces, their cert numbers line up.

Do you like consistency in cert numbers?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 1:53PM

Yep. My proof Buffalo 5c, eight of 'em, are sequentially numbered

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not care... I do not care about cert numbers, slab generation, labels or stickers.... I only care about the coin. If I cared about the other stuff, I would have decades of Christmas present wrappings.... :D Just the coin.. that is all that matters to me. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a bonus for me, I don't look for them.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

No preference for me

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 7:16AM

In theory, you could take 10 PCGS slabbed Morgan $1's with different serial #'s and resubmit all ten for regrade and Gold Shield service. In a few weeks you will have brand new slabs with sequential serial #'s(and hopefully a grade bump or two). I see no benefit from those new sequentially numbered slabs. Now, if you come across ten OGH slabs or rattlers with 10 sequential #'s, that could be more interesting of a prospect.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Serial #'s ID coins. However, it is also a big scam. Start-up TPGS's put fictional and often random serial numbers on slabs so no one could figure out the actual number of coins they did daily or all together. Many folks do this with a new checking account...Start my new account with #8700.
    LOL!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had my encased cent certified, then ended up buying the Lincoln medal from my friend they were sent by him so I ended up with two in a row:
    It was an exonumia submission...

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 11:14AM

I noticed an interesting thing about the Simpson saint set...
    Start with the 1908 Motto & look at the numbers.
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/gold/20-gold-major-sets/st-gaudens-20-gold-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1907-1932/imagegallery/71312

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 1:37PM

Yes, only because sometimes I come across a great TrueView of a PCGS coin and then do cert lookups on adjacent numbers to discover even more great coin photos from the same submission. In other words, I'm glad PCGS doesn't assign completely random cert numbers for each coin submitted.

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:
    Start-up TPGS's put fictional and often random serial numbers on slabs so no one could figure out the actual number of coins they did daily or all together.

When PCGS started up, they began with 108XXXX.

Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

For just normal coin collecting, it's interesting but I hardly pay attention to it.
    For sets...like SAE anniversary sets, I think it is cool and, if you can tell that the holders aren't new/recent (ie...more likely to have been resubmitted), then it gives a little coolness to the fact that they were all likely from the same order/box.

Sadly, I have a 2011 SAE Anniversary set I was looking at over the weekend (thinking about selling a few things) and 4 of them were sequential and same grade, PR/MS 69. But, one of the 5 coins in that sequence is a 70 and not a 69. So, while 70 is better, it does kind of suck that, sequentially, it doesn't fit with the grade now.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 1:57PM

@ricko said:
    I do not care... I do not care about cert numbers, slab generation, labels or stickers.... I only care about the coin. If I cared about the other stuff, I would have decades of Christmas present wrappings.... :D Just the coin.. that is all that matters to me. Cheers, RickO

It's just a number so they (PCGS) can keep track of them in a database. I'm with Ricko…..just so they are all PCGS.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got in 1 thru 33 from my Long Beach Submission.

Here are the first 4 ...

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31, 2020 4:10PM

Yes, I like them...

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is really fun is when you buy a new coin and find it is sequential with a coin you already have. It happened to me.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Here are the first 4 ...

The first numbers in the serial line must be the customer.

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

@ErrorsOnCoins said:

Here are the first 4 ...

The first numbers in the serial line must be the customer.

Submission Form Number

• Options
    KindaNewishKindaNewish Posts: 827 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up each of these a few months apart. Sold them about a year ago only after the buyer promised to always keep them together.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never really gave it much thought. Decades ago Bought a bunch of Teletrade coins once sequential slab numbers must have been sent in by same guy. They all were nice so at least he had an eye for grading

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GarrettOGarrettO Posts: 59 ✭✭✭

I don't look for them but if I like two coins and they have consecutive cert numbers it's a bonus to me. Just purchased 2 Morgans that way. One was an obverse toner, the other was reverse. Similar colors too so it worked out great. They were offered as a pair as well. I liked them. I bought them. If I didn't like the coins then I would have passed.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't normally care about the serial number on a slab but many years ago I bought a nice common date Liberty half eagle in AU-50 in an early small ANACS slab on eBay because the serial number was 666666. You could say the devil made me do it. LOL. The eBay seller really hyped the six 6"s serial number in his listing but my winning bid was what a common date AU-50 Liberty half eagle would sell for at that time. The seller sent me a nice message congratulating me on my win and he expressed surprise and disappointment that the serial number didn't add more value to the coin. The funny thing is this coin is buried in one of my safe deposit boxes and I don't remember the exact date but I sure remember the serial number.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

They really don't interest me on plastic.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file